Honda ATF-Z1 prices etc. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Honda ATF-Z1 prices etc.

OK, I know this probably does not belong here, but I didn't manage to pick better category, so mods please move it where appropriate.

So, today I went to the local dealer in Belgrade, Serbia, to buy some ATF Z-1 for my Accord. However:

They only had 25 liter containers, since they claim that Honda policy is not to allow any DIY. They offered to provide the appropriate quantity regardless of that, but I couldn't get a proper container there!

They offered to do the drain and fill with discount, but when I said that my car is just around the corner and I can bring it to the shop in no time, they said that unfortunately they are understaffed due to the holiday season, and they can schedule my appointment in two weeks!

I was totally disappointed. I mean, even I, without much technical background could to that work rather fast - OK, it depends how long would draining last... And they are scheduling the appointment as if I'm asking for overhaul and they need to get all parts from US!

Also, they quoted approximately $25 per liter! I read somewhere that you could get Honda ATF Z-1 for as low as $4 on e-bay! (My country had just enforced laws for e-commerce such as e-bay so the implementation is under way and I cannot purchase anything from e-bay yet, or else I'd save myself trouble)

So, to prevent this from being a mindless rant about a dealer, here are some questions:
- How much do you pay for ATF?
- Does it come in smaller containers (1 or 5 liters; 1 liter is a bit more than 1 quart)?
- Does such policy on preventing DIY really exist? Or is it just limited to cars under warranty, or whatever?

Honda Accord '01 2.3 sedan automatic
and
Honda Civic '86 1.3 hatchback manual
==> Obvious Honda lover :)
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana View Post
So, to prevent this from being a mindless rant about a dealer, here are some questions:
- Does it come in smaller containers (1 or 5 liters; 1 liter is a bit more than 1 quart)?
- Does such policy on preventing DIY really exist? Or is it just limited to cars under warranty, or whatever?
1. ~ $6 / quart
2. quart bottle is the only thing I've seen
3. Never heard of such a thing, but things may be different in Serbia

post #3 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Hondaracer4vtec

Send a message via AIM to hondaracer4vtec
kako ste?

Well many of the dealers over there arent great to begin with, so this isnt too bad.

The only thing i can tell you is that there are different kind of tranny oils you can put in the car but none of them are any good. how many km's does your car have? when was the last time you changed it or ever was changed?

2008 Accord NBP 6-6 (mine)
2008 Accord TW V6 Sedan (family's)
2003 E500 Silver on Black (lil big bro)
2004 Mercedes CLK500 (sold) (mine)
2000 Accord Coupe ex 2.3L (lil brother's)
1998 Accord Sedan ex-l v6 (dad's)

post #4 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana View Post
I mean, even I, without much technical background could to that work rather fast - OK, it depends how long would draining last...

You're draining < 3 quarts on a 2.3L and the fluid runs like water, so no, that doesn't take much time. Heck, the entire drain/refill process takes no time.

My dealer charges $8/quart and I've only seen Honda Z1 in quart containers. Never heard of this anti-DIY policy.

2010 PMM Accord LX-P, TSX rear sway, GG lower grille, 35% tint, 50K+
2006 Toyo Sienna LE, 100K+
2002 Accord SE (sold), TL rear sway and upper strut bars
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I don't have much info on previous maintenance of my car, I bought it mid-March this year. It has 120k km on it. However, the ATF is medium/dark red and I don't want to wait 'till it turns brown to change it.

I've spent last hour or so researching other ATF options, but Amsoil (which is recommended as a substitute) is not available in Serbia.

Since I'm a bit stubborn gal , I'll not let that dealer change my ATF. Instead, I'll get a good container (probably the one for gasoline), pay them and head straight to my favorite mechanic shop for drain/fill. After all, it's easier to do it in proper shop, than using this and that in my driveway.

I love the smooth shifting this AT provides and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

Thank you all for useful info and I must admit I sort of envy you for availability of proper dealers. Well, things will change 'round here eventually (at least I hope so).

Cheers!

and
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
You're draining < 3 quarts on a 2.3L and the fluid runs like water, so no, that doesn't take much time. Heck, the entire drain/refill process takes no time.

My dealer charges $8/quart and I've only seen Honda Z1 in quart containers. Never heard of this anti-DIY policy.
$8/quart is pretty high for Honda ATF. Dealer charged me $5.75/quart last year.

97 Accord LX Coupe A/T 28mpg

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Pagani Zonda - When I win the lottery and move to Europe.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Good idea going to the local mechanic with your own Z-1. You should be in and out of there in less than 30 mins. Its just as easy as an oil change. You may want to consider doing another 1 or 2 drain/fills after this one is complete. This way you get all the old stuff out of there. Or just wait till your next oil change and kill two birds with one stone.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Well' I've got some 1,5K miles (I'm recalculating ) on this oil, and I don't drive that much (some 5-7k miles a year), so that would mean waiting for next spring or so. The shop is 2 miles away, so it's no trouble to get there, plus, I'm one of their favorite customer (i.e. when they say 5k, I'm there in 4,9k, unlike some people coming after 25k)

Besides, I became a bit paranoid about AT and regular ATF change, so it's a bit of a pressure for me. I might do one drain-fill soon, and then when e-bay is finally available here, I'll get appropriately priced ATF and give triple treat to my AT.

Thanks

and
post #9 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Since you don't drive that much you should really be doing the oil changes every 6mos. Unless you use synthetic then every year. Maybe you can post some pics of your car when you have a chance.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Synthetic only - both for Accord and Civic. Yes, it does cost more, but I'd rather pay more per change & do it less often + providing better lubrication for my engine.

Pictures? Well, honestly, I'm a bit embarrassed - my rear bumper is scratched (not my doing - previous owner) and comparing to all the beauties I see in gallery here, with full detailing treatment... OK, will take some the next wash and post here

and
post #11 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM

If its not too much trouble maybe you can take some pics of the 86 Civic also? I forget what those look like off hand and its always good to see older Hondas in good shape. Esp ones from other countries. Just make sure you stand 10 feet away from any blemishes when taking pics then nobody will notice.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.