Dealer said not to use Honda Coolant? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Dealer said not to use Honda Coolant?

I called my dealer and asked the parts guy how much their Honda Coolant/Antifreeze was and he asked me back:

"What color is yours?"

I replied that mine was green and he said:

"You can use any high quality non-Honda coolant if your coolant is green, but if its blue, you must use Honda."

I asked him what cars use blue coolant and I believe he said Honda Pilots?

He didn't sound like he was being smart or a jerk, and I even commented how the manual tells us to use Honda coolant, but he assured me I didn't have to.

Is he pulling my leg or is this true? Also, the reason I inquired about this is, I purchased by car certified used at 38k miles and noticed that even now the coolant isn't the neon green I'm used to. Its a bit darker and has me concerned, yet in the manual it says I don't need to change it until after 100k. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced!

2003 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Auto 120,XXX Miles

Morimoto Mini H1 Retro 4300K | USA Spec PA15-HON2
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 AM
On hiatus...

Change it out, but continue to use the "green" coolant that was in it.

All new Honda's come with blue coolant. It appears to be a "special mix" and shouldn't be mixed with other colors. I would go the Prestone route with your flush...otherwise be prepared to spend about $12 a gallon on this blue stuff...

2011 Pilot EX-L AWD
2010 Corolla LE
2008 Goldwing Navi
post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
green coolant you can mix safely with prestone.

-'15 Accord Sport 6-speed
no mods
RIP-08 Accord lx-s 5speed manual/ tafetta white
mods
|DDM tuning 6k hids|12" Alpine Type-R|TSX switchblade|Lip spoiler|Type-R Suede red stitch boot|Gunmetal Type-R knob|
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black

post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Cool, I purchased some Prestone coolant awhile back but never used it. I checked it out and it said no silicates and whatnot and safe for all aluminum engines.

Thanks guys.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Auto 120,XXX Miles

Morimoto Mini H1 Retro 4300K | USA Spec PA15-HON2
post #5 of 12 Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM

My parts guy told me the same thing. He said no need to put the blue if I have green. Prestone is just fine.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #6 of 12 Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
I recently had similar questions.

A 2004 service bulletin introduced the new blue coolant which is used in ALL Hondas now. The bulletin also says that they ARE compatible so if you need to top off your Honda green, blue is OK to use.

If you have green coolant and you're going to drain and refill, IMO I would replace it with the Honda blue.

I remember reading articles (BITOG or C&D) that analyzed a number of different coolants used in cars and the Honda coolant was rated tops - low silicone, safe for aluminum engines, good detergent levels, and long life.

Current: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 1989 Prelude Si

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI, 09 Mazda 6 iGT

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
6th Gear

I was told by my Honda dealer that you could mix blue and green coolants with no porblems, so I put in a gallon of the blue stuff in the 2000 SE about a year ago. No problems since.

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #8 of 12 Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznX TL View Post
green coolant you can mix safely with prestone.
No, you can't mix regular prestone or any regular green with Honda's green coolant. It was NEVER the same as US conventional green. The chemical packages within the coolant are not compatible and regular green is unsuitable and damaging to the die cast block and water pump seals.

When they went to early type2 extended life it also was green. A very dark green.
All Hondas from about '02 on used Type2, some were green then they changed it to blue.

Older non-extended life Honda coolant could be mixed with Type2, and Type2 can be mixed with old Honda green, BUT if you add any regular Honda (non extended) coolant to either blue or green Type 2 the coolant's change interval is now 30,000 miles.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Accord Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by devi0us View Post
I called my dealer and asked the parts guy how much their Honda Coolant/Antifreeze was and he asked me back:

"What color is yours?"

I replied that mine was green and he said:

"You can use any high quality non-Honda coolant if your coolant is green, but if its blue, you must use Honda."

I asked him what cars use blue coolant and I believe he said Honda Pilots?

He didn't sound like he was being smart or a jerk, and I even commented how the manual tells us to use Honda coolant, but he assured me I didn't have to.

Is he pulling my leg or is this true? Also, the reason I inquired about this is, I purchased by car certified used at 38k miles and noticed that even now the coolant isn't the neon green I'm used to. Its a bit darker and has me concerned, yet in the manual it says I don't need to change it until after 100k. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced!
I would stick with what the manual says. Its your bible for any warrenty issues down the road. Plus honda cars are made so that you don't have to go over board with mainteance items.

As far as coolant goes, I would go with what ever your owners manual says in the back.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-17-2009, 06:18 PM
77htchbck

My '01 came with the dark green type 2 from the factory. The owners manual listed 105k, the same interval as the timing belt/water pump. I didn't wait that long though, at 80K I drained/refilled with the blue type 2.

The green was still clear when drained, it probably was good for the interval listed. No problems with the Blue/Green type 2 mix.

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring (I30cw)
miles when it left the + now.

'01 2.3L LX Sedan + miles... Original owner,
handed off to my son.
Had 6th Genititus, on 2nd trans
post #11 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
My First Post

i just did a head gasket on a 05 civic (i own a shop here in the IE in upland) and when i went to honda he asked me the same thing! "what color is your coolant?" i told him it was green and he said to not use hondas coolant because if i do, the green and blue have some chemical reaction and it turns into a gel type form, and overtime it cloges up the radiator and messes up the seals. i thought it was a neat fact. ended up flushing the whole motor in that civic and used the type 2 blue coolant. has been running fine ever since!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM
6th Gear

I would find another dealer....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.