Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20

Can I use this oil in Accord Sedan 2008? What is difference between extended performance & Mobil1 5w-20?

Also can you pls. advise recommended OEM filter for Accord Sedan EX-L V4 2008?

I'm thinking of taking my own oil & filter to dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice!

Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to 421
I use it, don't see why you can't. you can go more miles on it, I still change it every 3k though haha I use Mobil1-110 filter

post #3 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi View Post
What is difference between extended performance & Mobil1 5w-20?
:
What is the difference between Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1. (Updated March 2006)
Quote:
Also can you pls. advise recommended OEM filter for Accord Sedan EX-L V4 2008?
: Wix, Purolator, Mobil 1, ProLine, etc.

post #4 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I wouldn't spend the money on the EP for two reasons:

The oil analysis' done with this oil on Bobistheoilguy are just not spectacular, very average as a matter of fact. Very few, if any, made it to 15K miles. The oil was shot long before then.

Unless this has changed very recently EP is not API certified as some Amsoil products are not. This doesn't mean it's bad but technically you void your engine warranty using that oil because it is not Honda approved. The manual specifies API SM oil. This is really nit picking I admit but you need to be aware of it.

Stick with regular M1 0W20 or 5W20 which is API certified. The EP is a premium priced very average synthetic oil so why spend more for it?
post #5 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Out of Control

I would run EP here. But I can't get it in the 5qt jugs. So I stay with reg. M1 and do 10k mile oil changes.

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
post #6 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post

The oil analysis' done with this oil on Bobistheoilguy are just not spectacular, very average as a matter of fact. Very few, if any, made it to 15K miles. The oil was shot long before then.

Unless this has changed very recently EP is not API certified as some Amsoil products are not. This doesn't mean it's bad but technically you void your engine warranty using that oil because it is not Honda approved. The manual specifies API SM oil. This is really nit picking I admit but you need to be aware of it.

Stick with regular M1 0W20 or 5W20 which is API certified. The EP is a premium priced very average synthetic oil so why spend more for it?

I just checked Mobil1 website. It is infact API SM certified

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
5W-30
10W-30
15W-50
5W-20
ILSAC GF-4 GF-4 GF-4
API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF
ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1
post #7 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM

That doesn't say it is API Certified oil. It simply says it meets or exceeds the specs as do most Amsoil containers. The additives exceed what API will allow. Both are good to excellent products don't get me wrong.

If it doesn't have this on the bottle then it is NOT certified but that doesn't mean it's a bad product.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
That doesn't say it is API Certified oil. It simply says it meets or exceeds the specs as do most Amsoil containers. The additives exceed what API will allow. Both are good to excellent products don't get me wrong.

If it doesn't have this on the bottle then it is NOT certified but that doesn't mean it's a bad product.
Make sense, Thanks for advice!!

I will go to store today & see if it has this picture on jug.

btw I just called my honda dealer and ask about can I bring my own filter M1-110. He said he don't recommend it because they are using honda filter and they know it fits well and correct size.

Have you used Mobil1 -110 filter with Sedan 2008? I don't want to void or cause some trouble to car engine
post #9 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 PM

They just want to sell you their filter. It's a tired old game so don't let them bluff you. The M1 filter is a far better product just double check that it's the correct one.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
They just want to sell you their filter. It's a tired old game so don't let them bluff you. The M1 filter is a far better product just double check that it's the correct one.
Thanks again, I tried to find correct part number for accord sedan 2008 on Mobil1 website. Couldn't find it.

Do you know how can I check correct part number for Mobil1 filter required for accord 2008?
post #11 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM

I found it online M1-110 is correct for the 4 cylinder. You can always check at the parts store to confirm it.
post #12 of 34 Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Do you remember at how many miles the EP Mobil 1 was deemed shot? My last oil change I left Castrol Syntec in there for 11k. I didnt do a oil analysis.

06 EX-L 6 speed V6 sedan, 101K Traded in

2011 Mazda3s Hatchback automatic
post #13 of 34 Old 10-18-2008, 02:43 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi View Post
btw I just called my honda dealer and ask about can I bring my own filter M1-110. He said he don't recommend it because they are using honda filter and they know it fits well and correct size.

Have you used Mobil1 -110 filter with Sedan 2008? I don't want to void or cause some trouble to car engine
Typical canned response from a dealer. Like RTF said, they are just trying to sell you an overpriced filter (and a Honda/Fram filter too *ugh*). The M1-110 will definitely fit your 2008 sedan. I have one on mine. No troubles whatsoever and my dealer doesn't care what filter I use. It won't void my warranty.

Don't know where you live, but if you go to Pep Boys, they occasionally have some great deals on M1 oil and filter. Definitely worth a look.

2008 Accord EX-L NAVI I-4 Sedan
* 15% tint
* LED Tailights
* All interior bulbs replaced with LED.
* PP 5W-20, Wix Oil Filter

2004 Accord EX V6 Coupe
* Cold Air Intake
* LED Taillights
* PP 5W-20, Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Used to own...
2003 Accord LX-G
1997 Saturn SC2
1993 Saturn SL1
post #14 of 34 Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

The Mobil 1 Extended is of little use since you have to follow the Maintenance Minder anyway. Even if it really was good for 15k, which as RTF said it isn't (I agree...see BITOG site), your warranty would require following the Maintenance Minder. If you start ignoring it, and there is an engine problem (unlikely), you may get told the extended drains did it and voided the warranty.

The other thing is to go to a Pep Boys or even any quick-change place with your Mobil 1 and filter (Mobil 1, NAPA Gold, etc). You are NOT required to go to the dealer for maintenance, by federal law. If you prefer to and it's convenient, that's fine, but it is not a requirement. Just save your receipts. I do my own oil/filter changes and keep the receipts. It's in the owner's manual that you can go elsewhere.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

Mobil 1 EP 5w20 has a slightly higher Tbn. It's also GF-4/SM approved.

05 EX I4
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.