What oil do you recommend? (8th gen) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

What oil do you recommend? (8th gen)

What oil (brand, type - normal or synth.) do you recommend for first oil change? Should I wait for 15% oil life for first oil change.

Car mileage is at 5500 miles and oil life is at 30%.

Thanks for advice!

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM
New Accord Owner

Wait for 15%. It has synthetic in it already. Just not sure who makes/provides Honda oil.

Replace with Mobil 1 or AMSoil - 5W20 in both cases as per oil cap. These are both full synthetic, they aren't hydrocarbon based oils that are then modified.

Cheers

2008 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 - Basque Red Pearl
OEM Wing Spoiler, Interior Illumination & Protection Package
35% Llumar Tinting
post #3 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Out of Control

Factory fill is NOT synthetic.
Here in hot TX I'll use Mobil1 5/30, and will change it around 3 to 4K the first time, and 5K thereafter. You'll hear a million recommendations, so be prepared to be even more confused than before this thread. Later.
JC

post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 09:48 PM
New Accord Owner

True, you might have as much success Googling about motor oil.

Correct you are! It isn't synthetic, I misread owners manual:

You may use a synthetic motor oil if
it meets the same requirements
given for a conventional motor oil: it
displays the API certification seal,
and it is the proper weight. You must
follow the oil and filter change
intervals shown on the information
display.

The last number will depend on how hot your climate is, the reverse being true for the first number. Texas is definitely hotter than here in Canada, higher viscosity oils are thus nice. In really cold areas some people even use 0Wxx. However, always remember that the oil pump was designed for pumping 5W20. Thicker oil is harder to pump and can potentially cause wear and tear on the oil pump.

2008 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 - Basque Red Pearl
OEM Wing Spoiler, Interior Illumination & Protection Package
35% Llumar Tinting
post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Vtahk didnt kick in

Send a message via AIM to Gosha
Amsoil

2011 Accord Coupe EX-L V6/Navi PMM
post #6 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 12:41 AM

Just use whatever oil is on sale... synth or otherwise. If you're like most average Joe's/Jane's, you'll even be fine with conventional dino oil.... especially if you're not going to be doing extended OCI's.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

i am a little bit different than u guyz. i changed my oil when my oil life gets to 50% because 2 of my mechanic frds say u should do ur first oil change at 1.5k because to take some metal piece out. i dont know is it true or not?
post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 01:12 AM
3rd Gear

you need the original oil in there for a while because it has additives in that that help properly lubricate and seal the engine

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6SP BLACK/BLACK
post #9 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by game4week View Post
i am a little bit different than u guyz. i changed my oil when my oil life gets to 50% because 2 of my mechanic frds say u should do ur first oil change at 1.5k because to take some metal piece out. i dont know is it true or not?
Me thinkin' dat those mechanics just wanna git paid!

In all seriousness, if you have circulating metal debris that needs to be removed via engine oil-change, the motor wasn't built/assembled within proper specs' & tolerances. It's gonna give lots of problems down-the-road, as well as be rather underachieving/inefficient.

As pretty much the general consensus is to wait till a 15% reading on the MM, then proceed to go w/ the usual oil/filter/crush-washer change.

I am in 101% agreement w/ namegoeshere in that know what viscosity/weight is recommended & stated by Honda to use (as-per your owner's manual), and get anything reasonably priced. A lot of the differences claimed by the oil/lube companies are exaggerated & full of hyperbole'. A regimen of regular/periodic oil-changes & filter swaps over the course of ownership are a lot more important than particular brands/types of oils.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
That is exactly 100% wrong according to Honda. Which would you trust....two well meaning friends that don't know squat about Honda or Honda engineers???? Read the manual and let them deal with someone else's car.

Use any name brand 5W20 year round regular or synthetic.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 AM
2nd Gear

Now here's an idea, use whatever that is recommended on the oil cap.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Worst car luck of all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroze View Post
Now here's an idea, use whatever that is recommended on the oil cap.
x2

....or here's another idea. Use whatever Honda puts in. I schedule an appt. Give them some coupon thing. They take care of the rest.

-John from SC. Now, John from MD

Past:

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix (some history with this one...wow)
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS
2000 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro

Present:

2008 Accord Coupe V6 6MT (BBP/Ivory)
-6k 55 watt HID kit from retro
post #13 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Out of Control

Search,,, naw

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
post #14 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 06:59 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
So what does the oil filter for then? Also some oil pans have a magnet to collect any metal particles. I have seen some that have one in the drain plug. Not sure if the new accord does or not. Change your oil as much as you want if you don't mind giving up the cash to do it. Depending on your driving style you might want to change it a little more often. You should use 5w/20 as owners manual states. I don't think 5w/30 will hurt. I was told they changed to 5w/20 for better MPG. I have seen new oil on the shelves that are lighter that say they will not void warrenty that save you fuel. I have just stuck with what ever name brand full syn I can get for the cheapest.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM

11k on Castrol Syntec, going to change the oil next week.

06 EX-L 6 speed V6 sedan, 101K Traded in

2011 Mazda3s Hatchback automatic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.