leather steering wheel stitching -- OEM replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

leather steering wheel stitching -- OEM replacement

Hi! My fingernail accidentally tore the leather on the steering wheel grip of my 7th Gen EX-L. The tear is near the 6 o'clock position and is about 3 inches in length, but I feel it every time I take a turn.

Ordered a replacement leather OEM grip from my dealership. Part # 78501-SDA-A91ZB for ivory/taupe leather interior. When the (overpriced) OEM leather grip arrived, the dealer allowed me to inspect the part before installation. I was immediately unsatisfied with the quality of the part, as the leather threads at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock edges were clearly visible (as if the leather shrunk at the edges or was not long enough). Thought it was bad QC and rejected the part today. My 9-year-old leather steering wheel grip seems to have the edges at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock heat-sealed, as I cannot see any threads at all. Did I get a bad QC part or do all OEM steering wheels replacements have the visible leather stitching edges at 10 and 2 o'clock?

I could sand it down (so I do not feel the rip when turning the wheel) and take it to a leather upholstery shop for repair, and that may be the best solution. So with that in mind, any recommended leather repair shops in central or north Jersey?

Thanks for your insights.

TW 2004 Accord EX-L I4 5A sedan (purchased new)
(with 2006 front bumper conversion & Inspire fogs)
exterior polished, sealed, and nanocoated

Among the most meticulously dealership-maintained 7th Gen Accords on DA
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM

Garage
I dont know how much your leather repair shops are in your area but i got an inquiry for a upholstery shop to redo my steering wheel with black leather, a bit of firm padding, and red leather stitching, and they gave me an estimate for $550 and they needed it for about 2 days.

Black Accord EXL Coupe
YouTube Account: milmast =>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram Account: milmast =>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Carpe Diem

Wtf? $550?

post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Garage
Yeah. If im going to do it, i'll take off the wheel myself along with airbag, and ill have my car out of commision for 2 days. He said that it is going to take awhile because of the red baseball stitching that i wanted to get. He said the leather and everything wasnt too expensive, but the fact that it was going to take a long time to hand stitch it all.

Black Accord EXL Coupe
YouTube Account: milmast =>

Instagram Account: milmast =>
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Still, that's excessive amount of money for what you are paying for, but it's your money.........

For reference, this is the cost of getting a Porsche steering wheel done by a company called DCT Motorsports:

"We are offering restoration service for the 996 steering wheel in
(1) All leather --> $299
(2) All Alcantara --> $350
(3) Add extra padding so the grip is thicker --> Extra $50 We will send the new steering wheel to customer and customer just need to return the OEM wheel back to us AFTER install the new wheel!
Customer can also choose color stitching from Black; White; RED; Yellow; Orange; Blue .... No extra charge!

Contact us to get a brand new wrap steering wheel today!

408 8024500"

Doesn't hurt to check with them first to see what they can do, granted you will be out of commission longer if they don't already have an Accord wheel, and there is shipping charge, but you would still be ahead cost-wise.

no affiliation, only read about them.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #6 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 AM

A new oem leather steering wheel costs $249 at collegehillshonda. Plus shipping and labor to install. For the vehicle I selected an 04 sedan ex-l navi since I figured that would come with a leather wheel. Avail in taupe and graphite black. Link:

Item #9.
Advertisement

Tags
leather, steering wheel, stitching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.