dealership overfilled engine oil!!!!!?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

dealership overfilled engine oil!!!!!??

hi, i just done a oil & filter change at a honda dealership, they also top off other fluids....my car is 08 lxp i4 2.4l. I normally don't check fluid level after dealership, but today out of curiosity, i check the engine oil level after shutting it down and wait 20 minute..... the level is above the max dot....it's about the length between the two marks over.....i have attach two pictures for you to see, first is mine, the second pic is from google picture for illustration....

area A is min mark
area B is max mark
area C is my oil level

length A to B is equal B to C (almost)

i notice the metal dipstick begin twisting at area C, why??

#1 do u know how much volume is from B to C, in another word how much is mine overfill? on the invoice it says something about 4.....i dont know if it means 4 qt or 4 liter....on the owners manual it says correct refill is 4.4 US qt (4.2l).

#2 is that: honda design area c starts twisting to avoid over filled? i guess the shape of the engine wall expands above area c, so you have to add a lot more fluid to bring high the oil level to cause damage???

#3 should i drain out some oil? if a little bit over filled is okay, then how much higher is okay? could you point out an area on the dipstick?

#4 if overfilled is bad, what symptom will my car show? how can i get a warning? (right now, the car is ok)

another question regarding transmission fluid level, the dipstick looks like this : [xxxx] HOT, they overfill the level to the word H. should i worry? where it supposed to be correct level?... how much overfilled is okay?

i can not sleep well at night....i'm worry about my car....i lose my confidence on honda dealership...please help me...god bless u~!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 AM
6th Gear

First off was your car parked on a level surface when you checked it?
The dipstick shows it is overfilled, but even a quart over full wont hurt anything in my opinion. The level would have to be so high that the crankshaft hits the oil surface and aeriates it in order to cause problems.
I routinely dump in a full 5+ quart jug when doing my own oil changes which end up being at least 1/2 quart over full.
The second reason I would not worry about is because the dealer did it, so if there were any risk of damage they would be responsible. Take it back to them if you really cant sleep at night.
The third reason not to worry is you have already driven it for some time with no problems showing up.

The transmissiion ATF level is a little more critical, but I wouldnt worry about your reading. Did you checked it according to the owners manual instructions?

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

hi, thank you for ur replies....

i check my car again today after parked on level ground for a whole night. (8pm to 8am).

i first check it stone cold: the level of engine oil is about 0.5 cm higher than Max, the transmission fluid level is about 0.15 cm higher than Max...

then, i started the car and drive it for about an hour, goes through every gear, when the engine temperature is hot, i did couple times of down shifting from 5th to 3rd on the highway bring speed to 90mph and about 5 times of jackrabbit starts from red-light 0-60 sec full throttle run.....and i have stay on 4500 to 5500 rpm for 1 minute....

after that, i check again following owner manual: shut it down, wait 60 sec not over 90 to check transmission fluid; wait 7 minute check engine oil;

the result :

engine oil is about 1cm higher than Max (guess oil expands); transmission is half way between Max and Min ( guess run through all gear stay there)

every time i check the oil & fluid seem fine, normal color, normal smell, and no frothy, no bubble.....

one of my friend said as along as there's no foam in the oil, it should be fine....

why do u guys think?????

thank you again!!

post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Driver

Well since you've driven it hard with no apparent ill effects just go back to the dealer and have them adjust the level, it should not have left the shop with that much oil...tell them your upset by this and maybe you'll get a free oil change out of it.

2011 Accord Coupe EX, Taffeta White, I4 Auto
post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

i think the overfilled might be cause of this:

i went to bayridge honda at night, they open til midnight monday to friday, this is my first time to go to there in night time, because other dealership already closed. i remember there are only 2 mechanics working at the bay, and very few customers, maybe 3. so my theory is that: my last oil change done at hot summer day, and this oil change is done at cold weather, cold weather makes oil to drip longer time; on previous oil change, the dealership is very busy, they do my car after it's been parked at least 10 or 20 minute or half hour, but this time there's not alot of customersso, they take care my car right after i leave the key to them, so the oil might not get completely drain out. And the mechanic was rush to finish the job and move on to next one, so they pour in pre determine amount of oil without checking the dipstick.......

do you think this make sense?

from what i found i guess mine is about 0.5 qt over filled, i think i'm going to leave it, because more ppl say it's fine for 1 qt over filled as long as no foam exist. second reason: if i take it back, i'm afraid the mechanic might damage other things, do another mistake, and if they bring the level to the middle between two marks, what happen if my engine do burn oil??? it's better to be more than less, right??
post #6 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 AM
5th Gear

Reads like guesswork.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehonda View Post
I routinely dump in a full 5+ quart jug when doing my own oil changes which end up being at least 1/2 quart over full.
Same here, it is nothing to worry about. Now if they under-filled it, then you should worry.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

i wish i could do engine oil or transmission fluid change myself, i know how to do that. but i live in NYC, i dont have apartment, equipments, and time....if i DIY, what do i do with the waste oil? if my hands get dirty can i wash it with tap water? will it cause pollution to the environment? do u guys know any honor/reliable honda dealership around NYC or long island....thank you!!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy007 View Post
i wish i could do engine oil or transmission fluid change myself, i know how to do that. but i live in NYC, i dont have apartment, equipments, and time....if i DIY, what do i do with the waste oil? if my hands get dirty can i wash it with tap water? will it cause pollution to the environment? do u guys know any honor/reliable honda dealership around NYC or long island....thank you!!
Any place that sells oil is legally required to take back your old used oil. If your hands get dirty, soap and water will do the trick. It will only pollute the environment if you take the used oil and empty it down the sewer drain...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.