97 Accord Overheat Expert Required - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

97 Accord Overheat Expert Required

OK I am not a dummy. Cooling problems are normally simple. Not this one.

The car only overheats under a load (uphill travel or start and stop traffic)

First of all Everything That is part of the cooling system had been replaced at least once. The following is a list of parts replaced.

radiator (twice) was not sure if the first was bad from parts house.
water pump (twice) 1st one was parts house brand 2nd was Honda part
Thermostat (three times) 1st failsafe, 2nd parts house 3rd Honda part)
All hoses (bottom radiator hose twice)
Temp sending unit
Radiator Cap (3 times)
And you can count the number of times coolant was replaced by the number of times the above was done.

Also verified Fans are working properly, and that all sensors are working properly by running a scan tool while driving.

Engnie runs perfectly no loss of power no smoke in exhaust, ect. Timing belt was replace 6 months ago and with the last water pump, verified correct timing marks the last time to make sure was not off a tooth.

No coolant is ever lost . Even tried using pure water with water wetter.

What Am I MISSING!!!!!

Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:19 PM
JSM
2nd Gear

Make sure you have evacuated all air pockets in the system. There was a discussion some time ago regarding this, please see this thread
OverHeating with 98 Accord EX!! - urgent
Good luck
Julian

1998 Honda Accord EXRL AT Dark Green 75K miles
post #3 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Followed the air purging steps every time system was opened up. There is no air in the system.

post #4 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
maybe a hose has collapsed internally..... check all of your hoses to make sure that there is fluid going thru them (should be hot, i think).... if not, you can start by replacing them.....

welcome aboard, and good luck....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #5 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
You don't have an exhuast leak before the cat do you? I know some friends of mine who tried to put a "cutout" before the cat converter would have overheating problems...

Just a shot in the dark though....
post #6 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 PM
<error: divide by zero>

You arent missing anything that I can think of. You've done a lot of work. Was it this problem that caused you to start all this work, or was it something else? If someone used stop leak, you may have clogged passages though the engine, but dont know. It still sounds like a thermostat issue to me (could it be in backwards?, would it even fit?)

Does your scan tool allow you to see the actual output of the the sensors, is there a problem with the instrumentation cluster?

Mike M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheels,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(temp and Maplights),
post #7 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:38 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Make sure the fans are working... start the car & run it for about 15 minutes or so.....when the thermostat opens the fans normally turn on.
post #8 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hoses were all replaced with last radiator change. Noticed a little leak at the lower radiator hose and replaced it again. (just to be sure). All Hoses are new even the heater hoses. Top hose gets pressure when t-stat opens.

The vehicle is completly stock, no alterations done, not even cosmetic. No exhaust leak. I am a stickler for maintainance and if there was one it would be fixed.

I have had the car for over 4 years with no overheating problems. There has been no stop leak added while I had the car. And when I first got the car I changed all fluids so I knew where I was starting from. there is no evidence of stop leak used . The coolent has been changed regularly every 30k and most recently been changed about 7 times due to all the repair attempts.

The scan tool shows all readouts of sensors that were used on an early odbII system. Verifiied that the engine is actually over heating with 2 sensors one of which is brand new (tempature sending unit for the gauge) the others were tested with the scan tool readout in realtime while driving.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Fans are working perfectly. when the problem first began it was in the extreme heat wave of california, going up hill. Ac was on. The first thing I checked was whether the fans were working. With ac on the fans are both on solid. Both blow alot of air and are not weak. Fans come on at 195 degrees every time like clockwork, verified by scantool.
post #10 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

This was the reason all repairs were done. Been chasing this problem for over 3 months now. T- stat was changed 3 times and it is in correctly. All repairs were done with the aid of the factory honda repair manual.
post #11 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 PM
ready to go....

I understand the fans are sending the signal to work, but have you actually made sure they're coming on?
post #12 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 01:58 PM
ready to go....

Must've been an early heatwave, not the most recent one! Wow 3 months!

I'm curious, when you start the car have you've seen any bubbles in the overflow bucket??? (obviously someone else would need to be turning the key, unless you have a remote starter)
post #13 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Fans work great . I have been working on this every weekend for about 2- 3 months. I live in manteca, california in the san joaquin valley where it got up to 113 degrees. Have looked at the over flow bottle have not seen any air. Also Have checked the blead valve for air quite a few times.

Also left some thing out of the original post

Compression test numbers on the cylinders were 180 psi +or - 3psi between all cylinders
post #14 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM
ready to go....

Hey, you beat us by a degree!

I'll mull this over with my other half & see if he has run across it enough to suggest anything else to check out.

I asked about the overflow bottle since many times a blown head gasket will not leak into the oil, but pass air back into the cooling system.
post #15 of 32 Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I thought about the head gasket that is why I did the compression test. With numbers like those There is no way it is a head gasket or a cracked head. and the fact that no coolant is lost.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.