Poor fuel mileage, '91 Accord auto trans... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Poor fuel mileage, '91 Accord auto trans...

My wifes high mileage '91 Accord gets terrible fuel mileage. It has over 300k, but runs great. I changed the oxy sensor a few years back, but since we bought it, we only use it minimally. Only 10k in 3 years, and only in summer. It's too nice to use in the winter!
Always meticulously Honda dealer maintained, frequent oil changes, now using syn 10W30, new Honda air filter.
It is totally bone stock. has absolutely no rich fuel smell from tailpipe (while idling). Has good power, 3k between quart.
On a recent trip to Rhode Island, it got the usual 22 MPG at 70-75 on cruise. Definitley no jack-rabbit starts, etc! Tires are oversize 205-65-15's, but road-side Police speed minders and passing cars digital speedos confirms speed indicated is not slow. Check engine light occasionaly pops on. Should check it out...
So I drive 440 miles and put in 21 gals. And this is only interstate. Her '90 Olds Cierra 3.3 winter beater gets 26 ish.
Any ideas?
Check classifieds for needed seats, mags, radio...

Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
Welcome to DA.

I purchased a 91 Civic Wagon RT4WD a few years ago. I saw a big jump in mileage when I did an overall tune up and replaced some basic parts.

The car sounds like it's maintained very well which is a great start. How about things like a valve adjustment and new distributor cap and rotor? For me, the valve adjustment I think was 50% of the gains I made. Though it was taken care of, I think the car had gone almost 100K without getting it done. Older Honda's def need to have the valves watched at least every 15K.

Other than that, keep like you're doing, I would repace all fluids (coolant and tranny, too), spark plugs, and maybe the fuel filters. Doesn't sound like too many miles / year are being put on now but you might want to do it for the time interval. Plus, if the car really isn't driven that much (like my 89 Prelude) - I usually end up changing fluids more often than necessary during the long periods when it sits. Cheap insurance.

Some items that might not direectly affect mpg but you might want to consider: timing belt and water pump replacement and inspect spark plug wires and ground wires and be sure they're intact and not corroded.

My Wagon had almost 180K and still ran great. (Just sold it when I moved south. ) My 89 Prelude with only 83K on it. Still runs excellent and is a blast to drive. I don't hesitate to take it on weekend roadtrips thinking I'll get stranded.

Good luck. Let us know what you do and if it helps.

Current: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 1989 Prelude Si

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI, 09 Mazda 6 iGT

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Adj valves on 2.2 Accord?

Didn't know that they were adjustable. Def havn't been done in years, but sounds quiet. Might have changed dist cap when ign module (igniter?) went out a couple years ago.

Thanks for the greetings...
Attached Images

post #4 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Out of Control

You're getting hella jacked at the gas station. They can set the pumps to overcharge you once it's over 5 or 10 gallons (because inspectors use 5/10 gallon calibrations). That's another reason why I never put in more than 10 gallons at once (and still manage to fill up my entire tank...fill up early!). Your car does not hold 21 gallons by any stretch of the imagination...
post #5 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
ECU resets fix the idle..

We get 22MPG all city in a '93... But I don't think our highway MPG was much different.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
You're getting hella jacked at the gas station. You're car does not hold 21 gallons by any stretch of the imagination...
Duh! I wuz adding fill-ups, becuz I ran out of gas, almost walking, and put in a few bucks, then filled it at a station that took my CC.
Tossed the calculations, but I am very meticulous, and I've checked it many times over many exclusively Interstate trips. No error, sorry .
post #7 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglytruk
Duh! I wuz adding fill-ups, becuz I ran out of gas, almost walking, and put in a few bucks, then filled it at a station that took my CC.
Tossed the calculations, but I am very meticulous, and I've checked it many times over many exclusively Interstate trips. No error, sorry .
Don't know what exactly you're talking about but I'm positive you are not putting 21 real gallons worth of gas into your car.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Ben, he put 21 gallons in over the stretch of 400+ miles. Just not all at once.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencrosbie
Ben, he put 21 gallons in over the stretch of 400+ miles. Just not all at once.
Ok, still could easily be the gas station cheating him like I said tho
post #10 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
Ok, still could easily be the gas station cheating him like I said tho

Oh man...that would piss me off if I found a gas station cheating me....
post #11 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to WolfpackBill
Wow! That does suck. Our '90 Accord LX with the auto tranny gets about 26mpg mixed driving and it has 240k miles on it. That's about how much I'm getting now with my '06 Accord. Maybe changing the spark plugs and wires help?

Billy
'06 Honda Accord EX-L - Carbon Bronze/Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:
Fog lights, autodimming mirror, USASpec iPod adaptor, LED backup lights, cathode lights in trunk, fog light mod, Inspire taillights, 35% tints, HID retro w/TSX projectors, lip spoiler, TL switchblade key, TL 17mm rear sway, TSX signal mirrors, TL rims
post #12 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
Hey WB - did you know there's a Wolfpack road in Raleigh? It's between Atlantic Springs and Wake just before 440. I just saw it today.

This concludes today's useless trivia hijack.

Thank you.

The Mgmt

Current: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 1989 Prelude Si

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI, 09 Mazda 6 iGT

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6

post #13 of 23 Old 06-07-2006, 06:20 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
did you know, that the first radio broadcast, KDKA, happened to be in pittsburgh?

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #14 of 23 Old 06-08-2006, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Usually save my fuel fill-up notes, but wifey tossed 'em, sorry. Fuel mileage is accurate, always pay attn. to miles/fuel used. Have new plugs for Accord, just havn't changed 'em. Really curious where why fuel mpg is so low. An A/F meter in TP while I drive would be nice, I suppose...
My '83 1/2T 4x4 305 Chev PU POS gets 7-9 city. 'Fraid to take it on Istate, may lose some partz...
post #15 of 23 Old 06-08-2006, 03:36 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
so that's why you have a name of "uglytruk" on here???

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.