power steering rack leaking... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
power steering rack leaking...

hi....

i was told a couple yrs ago that my power steering rack was leaking internally.... and that it would have to be eventually replaced once it wears out the rest of the way.....

about a week ago, when i was originally scheduled to go on my trip, i checked all of the fluids..... all were fine and were of proper color, except the power steering rack resevoir..... it was low.....

i held off til yesterday mrng, when i was about to head back to philly..... went to local autozone, and found a bottle of power steering fluid made especially made for hondas (supposedly).... topped it off to about a 1/8" over the max fill line....

question is, with the rack leaking internally, why am i losing fluid where the resevoir is? i have been checking underneath the car, and have not seen any types of fluid on the ground whatsoever..... i have not seen any leaks from the rack as of yet...... and since it is an internal leak, where is the fluid going to??? any way to find out, or common places where fluid would end up?

thanks....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Go Tigers!

Mine slowly leaks into the boot on one side and then it leaks out of there. I also had a problem with the fluid foaming and coming out of the res. cap. There was an air leak on the pump shaft seal. Replaced the seal and all was good. Except for the slow leak on the rack.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Josh, the fluid would likely be going into the boots on the end of the rack....give it time, you'll start seeing it on the ground eventually!

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
well, my CV boots are still good then, that's for sure.....

btw, what is the normal color for PS fluid???? mine looked a bit dark...... TOO DARK, in fact......

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 04:24 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Not the CV boot!!!

The fluid is a clear brown.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

time for a PS fluid change then....

prior vehicles:
post #7 of 7 Old 06-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Go Tigers!

The boots we are refering to are on either end of the rack and pinion.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.