Transmission or oil leak...or both? (Pics) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Doc
1st Gear

Transmission or oil leak...or both? (Pics)

I think I might have a major, costly problem. This is my first post and ANY help, advice, and/or opinions would GREATLY be appreciated. I have tried searching on this subject specifically, but cant find anything. I changed my transmission fluid today and I have some sort of leak in what seems to be a few places. I took pictures to show you exactly where I'm talking about. I can't tell if it's oil or ATF since my old fluid was dark (I should have saved some to compare w/ the old ATF after I drained it). However, on the next-to-last picture, you will see on the bolt, it's oil for sure. I know this for sure because after I changed the ATF, I drove it two miles, parked it in my garage again, and jacked it up to look under there. The "crease" didn't have any fluid leaking out of it (yet) with in the time it took me to drive two miles, but the bolt (side of tranny closest to the oil filter) had a drop of oil coming off of it. I swiped it off with my finger then put some of the old ATF on my other finger to compare....it was for sure oil. I won't know if the fluid coming out of the tranny's crease is oil or ATF until I drive it long enough for it to start leaking there again.

Side notes-
1) My 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (F23A1) has about 193,000 miles on it. I purchased it certified when it had only 27,000 miles and the original transmission went out on it at 98,000 miles. I had a 100,000 warranty so it was replaced. I doubt it was a new one they put in. So, I have personally only put 95,000 miles on this transmission.

2) When I drove the car for the first time after the ATF change, during the first mile, the transmission acted up. When I was at about 40MPH, my RPMs dropped a couple times (kinda like it hesitated). So since it was so late, I turned around back home. However, the car drove just fine going the mile back. Is it normal for a transmission to briefly act up immediately after you change the fluid?

Since more information might help you help me, I will report back tomorrow with info about how the transmission behaves AND if the fluid leaks out of the crease again...which I'm sure it will since it was there before. And I'll be able to let you all know if it's oil or ATF.

In advance, thank you VERY much! BTW...I love this site! Very informative!

~Jim

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 08:02 AM
6th Gear

It looks more like motor oil to me, but its difficult to tell just from the pictures. Put some of the leaking oil/ATF? on a white paper towel then pull each of the dipsticks (engine & transmission) and put a drop next to the leak sample. See which one matches best.
If it is a transmission leak, it shouldnt effect the shifting unless its so bad the ATF level is low.

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #3 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 10:48 AM
NJDR

thats definitely motor oil, automatic transmission fluid is red ... .. i would first change the oil + filter and make sure the filter is on correctly and some old seal isn't stuck on and a new filter on top of it causing a bad seal and also try to clean up all that oil using some degreaser and a brush and hose it off then drive it for a day and check back under to see if its happening again and if it is you should be better to point out from where it could be coming

2009 honda accord coupe ex-l v6
MODS:

To many to list.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Doc
1st Gear

Thanks very much for responding. I changed my oil last week and did make sure that an old seal wasn't in there. It's not coming from the filter. more so from that specific bolt in the picture and possibly other bolts. I do believe you are correct in that it's oil on the crease of my tranny though. Ok...so I will take your advise and wash the undercarriage...I'll also wash the top cause I think I have oil leaking up there too.. definitly around the valve cover but possibly other places too...not enough for me to have to add oil all the time though. I already purchased a new valve cover gasket and will replace it to stop that leak.

*IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE*--I changed my PCV valve for the first time last night after I typed my original post...had no clue about changing it until I started reading about it last week. Anyway...it was clogged bad. And I read that a clogged PCV can cause oil leaks. I hope I didn't change it too late and caused major problems and/or leaks. I tell you one thing for sure....after I changed it, there was a HUGE night and day difference in the way the car idled and accelerated!

After I clean the engine, Ill not only determine and report back if the fluid on the tranny is oil or ATF, but I'll also take more pics to see what you guys think.

Thanks again so much!
~Jim
post #5 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Doc
1st Gear

OH...one more thing...if it is leaking, is it ok to use specific additives? Anything that thickens it a bit? I've read mixed reviews. I'm probably getting ahead of myself and expecting the worse...I'll wait until I find out more
post #6 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
OH...one more thing...if it is leaking, is it ok to use specific additives? Anything that thickens it a bit?
NO! Just a quality name brand oil. If you want thicker a 5w30 should be fine. That's what the engine was originally spec'd for. A high mileage oil like Valvoline MaxLife is good. It's loaded with lots of molybendum. I'd prob run one of interval of hm oil then switch back to regular conventional oil.

Many of the additives don't mix well with oil. Think oil and water. There was a demo of this on an oil forum and that's what it looked like.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM
5th Gear

Looks like your RMS broke... You need to pull out the transmission to replace this... This happened to me and it ****s.

2008 Accord Sedan EX A/T
Alabaster Silver Metallic
Tints, Trunk Tray, Splash Guards, 3M Clear Bra, TSX Switchblade, Roof Spoiler

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S
Silver
BONE STOCK!

1999 Accord Sedan EX V6 - R.I.P. :(
Heather Mist Metallic, 175k miles!
AEM Intake, Helix TB Spacer

Need a detailer in Phoenix? PM me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Doc
1st Gear

RMS leak? Great...something else new to learn. Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not very familiar with aspects of a transmission since I've never had to work on one. What is RMS and how would I determine if this leak is the problem? I've searched "RMS" and couldn't find out any info. If it deals with the transmission, I'm sure that it's costly and I won't be able to work on it myself -even though I'm pretty savvy and have done all my own work on my car by learning as I go. Once I'm done with my new rotors and cleaning out my EGR ports, I will be dealing with this issue.

Thanks again for the responses!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 AM

I had to have my RMS replaced at around 75k 99 Accord coupe f23 original owner. That was prob 4-5 yrs ago. First dealer quoted 700 and the 2nd dealer quoted $500. It was a very slow seap but I had it fixed anyway.

The parts are cheap...its just a rubber gasket btwn engine and trans. It's the labor that's the killer since it's a major undertaking. Have to remove the trans from the engine.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM
5th Gear

RMS = Rear Main Seal. I'm sorry I didn't specify that in my post.

This is a seal between the engine and the transmission. I think its purpose is to prevent the engine oil from going to the transmission but I could be wrong on this.

The part is very cheap.. It's just a rubber seal and it costs around $20. The overall cost is expensive because the transmission needs to be removed in order to gain access to this part and have it replaced. The quote I got before was $750 as well.

Good luck! Let us know if it is indeed the rear main seal.

Have you had your car diagnosed yet?

2008 Accord Sedan EX A/T
Alabaster Silver Metallic
Tints, Trunk Tray, Splash Guards, 3M Clear Bra, TSX Switchblade, Roof Spoiler

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S
Silver
BONE STOCK!

1999 Accord Sedan EX V6 - R.I.P. :(
Heather Mist Metallic, 175k miles!
AEM Intake, Helix TB Spacer

Need a detailer in Phoenix? PM me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.