2005 Accord Oil Change Capacity issue - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2005 Accord Oil Change Capacity issue

Just picked up a 2005 Honda Accord coupe with the 2.4L IVTEC motor and I had a questions regarding the oil capacity for the motor. My manual says it takes 4.5 quarts of oil, however when I changed the oil the other day I put 4.5 quarts in but when I checked the dipstick to make sure of the oil level, it was way below the two holes. I added another 1/2 quart and that brought the level up to the bottom hole but thats still reading low. It was also checked on a level ground.

Before checking the level I started the engine up and let it run for a few seconds before turning it off. I also waited a few minutes after I shut it off to let the oil drain back into the pan. No leaks underneath.

Is the 4.5 quart specification incorrect?

Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
I usually dump in 5 after changing the filter and it's right near the top mark on my car.

2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
post #3 of 6 Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

This has been an ongoing thing with some of the 7th gen four cylinder engines. Some dipsticks show right on the full mark with 4.5 quarts and a new filter (mine did) while others took five quarts to hit the full mark. 4.5 is correct but don't go past 5 quarts.
When a bunch of us noticed this some years ago we came to the conclusion that some dipsticks were manufactured a different length than others. I don't know if we were correct but it was logical.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Most take just about 5. It depends on how long you let it drain and if you lift the front higher than the rear doing the drain.

My V6, I always end up slightly over, I add 4.25, wait and it shows a tiny bit low. So I add about a quarter qt, then it is over the mark the next day when warm about an hour after it has been shut off.

My sister's '09 Si shocked me the first change 6.5 quarts to fill it w/filter. It needs it, the revver K engines use oil. She's just a bit more than a quart low at every change by the MM. Don't go there, she'll never check her own oil until she loses a motor.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #5 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Carpe Diem

I always just use a whole 5 quart jug when I change the oil in my v6.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

My 2.4 has always taken 5 qts to bring to the top hole on the stick.

And plus/minus 1/2qt has very little effect on the oil level. Add 1/2qt of water to a small/medium size cake pan and you'll get the idea.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.