ABS light, no apparent reason. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

ABS light, no apparent reason.

The other day I was checking my daughters 1998 Accord for a front end vibration. We had the car jacked up and running off the ground. The ABS light came on and will not go off. I also had to replace the cv axles. The light came on before I dis-assembled the car. Will this reset itself after many startups, or is this a dealer fix problem? TIA, Jim

Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 01:38 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
did you take the car out to an empty parking lot, and then speed up and stomp on the brakes to test them????

if they don't work, may suspect a wheel sensor.....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #3 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

No, I just drove down my street and tried them. The car stops fine, but the ABS system does not work. I don't know why a sensor would all of a sydden go bad just as we were running this up on stands. Could it be because the front wheels were driving and the back were stationary?

post #4 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 02:11 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
it's possible.... but not sure over here......

maybe someone else can help you, or it could be that a sensor did fail, but happened at time when you were doing repairs....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
post #5 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 02:12 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

btw, mileage on car????

prior vehicles:
post #6 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Blast from the past!

Send a message via MSN to EXLNavi
Try removing the battery for a couple of minutes.

'04 EX-L i4 5AT with Navi

If your mother still drives you to school,.... you ain't no gangster. PULL YOUR PANTS UP!
post #7 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 04:16 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
To know WHY, you need to have the code read.

Staying on can be as simple as the fuse.....or one of many parts worn out. It can be a dirty sensor.

ABS Indicator
If the system is OK, the ABS indicator goes off two seconds after turning the ignition switch ON (II) without starting the engine, and then comes on again and goes off after 2 seconds after starting the engine. This occurs because the ABS control unit is turned on by the IG2 power source.

The ABS indicator comes on when the ABS control unit detects a problem in the system. However, even though the system is operating properly, the ABS indicator will come on, under the following conditions:

- Only drive wheels rotate (isn't THIS what you did????)

- One drive wheel is stuck

- Vehicle spins

- ABS continues to operate for a long time

- Signal disturbance

To determine the actual cause of the problem, question the customer about the problem, taking these conditions into consideration.

When a problem is detected and the ABS indicator comes on, there are cases when the indicator stays on until the ignition switch is turned OFF, and cases when the indicator light goes off automatically when the system returns to normal. For DTCs 61 and 62, the indicator goes off automatically when the system returns to normal. For all other codes, the indicator stays on until the ignition switch is turned OFF.

For DTCs 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 51, 52 and 53, the ABS indicator goes off when the vehicle is driven again and the system is OK after the ignition switch is turned from OFF to ON (II). However, if the DTC is erased, the CPU resets and the indicator goes off right after the engine is started if the system is OK.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
If the CPU cannot be activated or the CPU fails, the ABS indicator comes on, but the DTC is not memorized.

The memory can hold any number of DTCs. However, when the same DTC is detected more than once, the later one is written over the old one.

Therefore, when the same problem is detected repeatedly, it is memorized as one DTC.

The DTCs are indicated in the order of ascending number, not in the order they occur.

The DTCs are memorized in the EEPROM (non-volatile memory). Therefore, the memorized DTCs cannot be canceled by disconnecting the battery. Perform the specified procedures to erase the DTCs.

Self-diagnosis
Self-diagnosis can be classified into 2 categories:

- Initial diagnosis:

- Performed right after the engine starts and until the ABS indicator goes off.

- Regular diagnosis:

- Performed right after the initial diagnosis until the ignition switch is turned OFF.

When a problem is detected by self-diagnosis, the system:

- Turns the fail-safe relay OFF

- Turns the solenoid valve OFF

- Turns the pump motor OFF

- Turns the ABS indicator ON

Kickback
The motor operates when the ABS is functioning, and the fluid in the reservoir is forced out to the master cylinder, causing kickback at the brake pedal.

Pump Motor
The pump motor operates when the ABS is functioning.

The ABS control unit checks the pump motor operation during initial diagnosis when the vehicle is started. You may hear the motor operate at this time, but it is normal.

Brake Fluid Replacement/Air Bleeding
Brake fluid replacement and air bleeding procedures are the same as for vehicles without ABS.

To ease bleeding, start with the front wheels.

How to Troubleshoot ABS DTCs
The troubleshooting flowchart procedures assume that the cause of the problem is still present and the ABS indicator is still on. Following the flowchart when the ABS indicator does not come on can result in incorrect diagnosis.

The connector illustrations show the female terminal connectors with a single outline and the male terminal connectors with a double outline.

Question the customer about the conditions when the problem occured, and try to reproduce the same conditions for troubleshooting. Find out when the ABS indicator came on, such as during initial diagnosis, during ABS control, after ABS control, when vehicle speed was at a certain speed, etc.

When the ABS indicator does not come on during the test-drive, but troubleshooting is performed based on the DTC, check for loose connectors, poor contact of the terminals, etc. before you start troubleshooting.

After troubleshooting, erase the DTC and test-drive the vehicle. Be sure the ABS indicator does not come on.

How to Retrieve ABS DTCs
Connect the Honda PGM Tester (A) to the 16P Data Link Connector (B) located behind the driver's side kick panel with the ignition switch OFF.

Select ''SCS'' on the display of the Honda PGM Tester, then push ''YES'' at the ''SERVICE CHECK SIGNAL'' mode.

Turn the ignition switch ON (II) without the brake pedal depressed.

NOTE: If the brake pedal is depressed when turning the ignition switch ON (II), the system shifts to the MES mode.

The blinking frequency indicates the DTC.

NOTE: If the DTC is not memorized, the ABS indicator will go off for 3.6 seconds, and then come back on.

The system will not indicate the DTC unless these conditions are met:

Vehicle speed is 6 mph (10 km/h) or less.

SCS circuit is shorted to body ground before the ignition switch is turned ON (II).

The brake pedal is released.

Turn the ignition switch OFF.

Press ''EXIT'' on the Honda PGM Tester.

Disconnect the Honda PGM Tester from the 16P Data Link Connector.

How to Erase ABS DTCs
Connect the Honda PGM Tester (A) to the 16P Data Link Connector (B) located behind of the driver's kick panel with the ignition switch OFF.

Select ''SCS'' on the display of the Honda PGM Tester, then push ''YES'' at the ''SERVICE CHECK SIGNAL'' mode.

Depress the brake pedal.

Turn the ignition switch ON (II) while keeping the brake pedal depressed.

After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake pedal.

After the ABS indicator comes on, depress the brake pedal again.

After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake pedal again.

You cannot erase the DTC unless these conditions are met:

Vehicle speed is 6 mph (10 km/h) or less.

SCS circuit is shorted to body ground before the ignition switch is turned ON (II).

The brake pedal is depressed before the ignition switch is turned ON (II).

After a few seconds, the ABS indicator blinks twice and the DTC is erased. If the indicator does not blink twice, repeat steps 1 through 7. If the indicator stays on after the indicator blinks twice, check the DTC because a problem was detected during initial diagnosis before shifting to MES mode.

Turn the ignition switch OFF.

Press ''EXIT'' on the Honda PGM Tester.

Disconnect the Honda PGM Tester from the 16P Data Link Connector.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Can you say 270HP?

Fist off, if you just went down the street and tried it it didn't work becuase you wern't going fast enough. Get up to 45 in an empty parking lot then try it. Firmly apply the brakes, don't stomp on them or you'll cause premature lockup before ABS can react. Chances are though, that your ABS isn't going to work simply becuase the light is on.

Current:
2004 ACURA TL ASPEC 6spd
2006 Honda Accord LX V6
1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan 100,045k
Previous:
2001 Honda Accord LX-L Sedan 103,422k
1989 Honda Accord SE-I Sedan MINT! 92k,
2006 Accord EX V6 6-spd Sedan! - 9k
2003 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd Sedan Totaled:( R.I.P., 1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan - 127k in 2001, 1984 Honda Accord LX Hatchback - 265k in 1999
post #9 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord4Life
don't stomp on them or you'll cause premature lockup before ABS can react.
You think that kind of defeats the purpose of ABS no? I mean...I most often need ABS when I'm in a panic situation, in which I will definitely not go...oh man I can't stomp on it because otherwise ABS won't work. So when I most need it, ABS won't work? Nahhhhh
post #10 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Can you say 270HP?

Well in my Accord. Thats how it is. Your wheels lockup wuick THEN the ABS works. Maybe its just an issue on mine???

Current:
2004 ACURA TL ASPEC 6spd
2006 Honda Accord LX V6
1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan 100,045k
Previous:
2001 Honda Accord LX-L Sedan 103,422k
1989 Honda Accord SE-I Sedan MINT! 92k,
2006 Accord EX V6 6-spd Sedan! - 9k
2003 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd Sedan Totaled:( R.I.P., 1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan - 127k in 2001, 1984 Honda Accord LX Hatchback - 265k in 1999
post #11 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Well in my Accord. Thats how it is. Your wheels lockup wuick THEN the ABS works. Maybe its just an issue on mine???
Probably just yours. I've jumped on my brakes from 110 and ~45 and it didn't lock. The 110 was on purpose (50MPH turn ahead hehehe), the 45 was cuz they hid the stop sign behind the tree on a moonless night on an unlit street
post #12 of 15 Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 PM
3rd Gear

princess, does the procedure you've described here work only for the 6th generation Accords? (i'm especially talking about the How to Erase ABS DTCs part)

my 94 Accord EX has had its ABS light on for some time now. the funny thing is that whenever i'm driving while it rains (assuming that the ABS light is on), it'll go off the next time i start the car! i've pulled the code out using the-paperclip-and-the-two-pin-connector method, and it's always the 'rear right wheel sensor'. any idea what might have caused it or how i can fix it? (i don't want to change the sensor now, since i've recently spent nearly $850 on this car and i don't have any more money)

what i would like to do is to erase the DTC from the memory and see if it pops out again:
1) is pulling the ABS B2 fuse from the underhood ABS fuse box going to clear the code?
2) if not, can i do the procedure you've described here without the Honda PGM Tester, but using a paperclip and the 2-pin connector?

SOLD - 1994 Honda Accord EX 5-speed Coupe w/ leather interior - 110k
post #13 of 15 Old 01-29-2006, 01:59 AM
ECU resets fix the idle..

Quote:

Interesting... In my experience it's best to stomp on the pedal (w/ABS) as hard as you can for the quickest stop possible.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-29-2006, 02:18 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Yes, the code should be cleared by the ABS B2 fuse.

here's a couple of charts for helping with diagnosis:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 94 ABS chart.pdf (143.3 KB, 2307 views)
File Type: pdf 94 RT rear wh sensor troubleshoot.pdf (96.5 KB, 1901 views)
post #15 of 15 Old 01-30-2006, 08:44 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks a lot princess. I can't check it myself since I don't have the tools and a place to do the jobs, but I'll take it to the mechanic along with this guide - i hope it's an easy and cheap fix

SOLD - 1994 Honda Accord EX 5-speed Coupe w/ leather interior - 110k
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.