Steering pump noise and fix - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

Steering pump noise and fix

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my recent experience with you all and hope this can help someone else.

I started hearing a whining noise in the morning when my car was cold. Took it to the dealership and they said I need a new power steering pump at a cost of $900. I decided to wait a while since I didn't want to pay that much and didn't think it was urgent.

Then the noise got a little worse and it was annoying every morning when I started my commute. Couple of weeks ago, I was at another dealership getting an alignment and decided to google accord steering pump noise issue. Then I saw a youtube video of this nice person showing on his Pilot how he fixed the problem by simply replacing an O ring seal. I thought, what the hell, I might as well try it.

So I told the dealer to replace the O ring for me. He said there were 2 O rings, one at the top and one at the bottom. The parts were only couple of bucks but he wanted to charge me for 30 minutes of labor. I said OK thinking I'm taking a chance.

Even the service adviser agreed with me that most often it's the worn out O ring that causes these noise issue as air is being sucked in.

Guess what? It's been 2 weeks and the noise is completely gone! I can't thank the Youtuber enough for saving me over $800. I would've have spent the money to get rid of the annoying noise eventually.

So, the moral of the story is don't replace or rebuild your power steering pump before first replacing the O rings to see if that fixes your problem.

08 Accord V6 Coupe Auto NAV PMM/Black

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Uptown Rooter

It pays to stay ahead of dealerships. Good job dude, they customarily replace and not fix.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm1469 View Post
It pays to stay ahead of dealerships. Good job dude, they customarily replace and not fix.
Yeah I'm glad I didn't pad their pockets.

I hope more people realize how to beat the dealerships.

08 Accord V6 Coupe Auto NAV PMM/Black

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord

post #4 of 4 Old 12-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Good to see this fix carried over from the 7th gen.

2007 EX-L 4DR
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.