'95 overheats in traffic??!! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

'95 overheats in traffic??!!

I've got a '95 LX, 4cyl, 2.4 liter, automatic. The thermostat was replaced in November and I changed out the radiator in May. Since I've had the car, there was always an issue with the transmission when I was on the brake. At a stoplight, or anytime I was stopped and still in D4, I would have to basically mash the barke pedal to the floor to keep the car from wanting to inch forward. It never idled too high, but still I was confused as to why this might be happening.
Now the problem has gotten worse... she will overheat when I'm in stop and go or bumper to bumper traffic. It's not a sharp, rapid temperature rise, but a slow and steady increase. It's never gone all the way to the red, but it does definately goes upwards of the half way point. The temp gauge starts to rise when I'm in PARK sometimes, too.
Pretty weird.
If I'm moving, it's great. needle stays where it's supposed too and everything is fine. But once I get into traffic, she starts to overheat.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Now: '95 LX
Before: '04 EX 5spd
Before Before: '85 LX Hatchback
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM

What brand t-stat did you use: oem or aftermarket?

post #3 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post
What brand t-stat did you use: oem or aftermarket?
I got it directly from the Honda dealer, so it's OEM.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Do the radiator fans come on when idling and overheating?
post #5 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
I have to check. I know for sure that the right fan (on the right if you're facing out of the windshield) definately comes on and stays on for around 5-10 minutes after I turn the engine off.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
The fan on the right (as your looking thru the windshield from the cabin) comes on about 8 minutes after I start the car and leave it sitting. It only stays on for about 2 mins and then goes off. The one on the left never comes on. I think the one on the left is the condenser fan and the one on the right is the radiator fan, right?

post #7 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyrinaldi78 View Post
The fan on the right (as your looking thru the windshield from the cabin) comes on about 8 minutes after I start the car and leave it sitting. It only stays on for about 2 mins and then goes off. The one on the left never comes on. I think the one on the left is the condenser fan and the one on the right is the radiator fan, right?
I know on the 98-02's the right fan is for the AC. You can tell by turning on the AC when the car is running. The AC fan should come on right away.

I'm going to pm "Fredsvt" and see if he has any thoughts about this thread. He works on these cars for a living and knows his stuff.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 AM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyrinaldi78 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, but you may have a bad fan sensor, making the temp on your car inch up....

another reason could be air in the cooling system...

try to get those things fixed and chime back to post your results...

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #9 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 PM

If I recall, the only way the one rad fan will come on after shutting down, is if the engine's temp is way too high. There is a radiator fan control module in your car, you'll need to get a Helm's manual and test it.

You need to check the temp switch at the thermostat housing, making sure it's working.

If you jump the two terminals in the connector, the fans should come on. Both.

Your car should have a full width radiator and condenser, so both fans should come on when either the a/c is on or the car is calling for rad fan operation due to temperature.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #10 of 15 Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Alright Fred, Stiller and Silver.... I've got a week's vacation coming up so I'll have lots of time at home to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks for your help and I will post back with results. Have a great weekend.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
If I recall, the only way the one rad fan will come on after shutting down, is if the engine's temp is way too high. There is a radiator fan control module in your car, you'll need to get a Helm's manual and test it.

You need to check the temp switch at the thermostat housing, making sure it's working.

If you jump the two terminals in the connector, the fans should come on. Both.

Your car should have a full width radiator and condenser, so both fans should come on when either the a/c is on or the car is calling for rad fan operation due to temperature.

Fred,
I disconnected the harness from the thermo and jump the two connectors inside. Only the fan on the right came on. Thats the one on the right as your looking out the windshield. the other fan never came on. I left my Hayne's manual at the house where I stay during the week and I won't be back there til next monday. I read thru the procedure for testing the fan modules and what not, but if you could give me a quick rundown, that would be greatly appreciated.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM

From what I see by looking at the wiring diagrams, there are two temperature switches.

One is set to turn the fans on at 199 the other at over 223.

We know that your 223 switch is working, as the fans run after shutting the car down.

I don't think your 199 fan switch is working though, as they don't self turn on when the car is running, correct?

BOTH fans must come on every time, does the left fan ever work? If not, unplug it and jump power and ground to their respective terminals to see if it's bad. If it runs, then you need to make sure power and ground are going to the left fan.

I'm attaching how the fan system works
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1995fancontrol.pdf (11.9 KB, 506 views)

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #13 of 15 Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Turns out it was a bad fan motor. i jumped power directly to it and nothing happened. I'm all about using genuine Honda parts, but the dealer wanted $257. I picked up a Seimens replacement Pep Boys for $89. Both fans come on now and my temp gauge stays where it should even in traffic. Thanks for all your help!

post #14 of 15 Old 08-28-2010, 07:39 PM
2nd Gear

having a similar problem with my 95 EX. temp gauge would creep up over the halfway mark when in slow/stopped traffic this summer. popped the hood when it was that hot and the radiator cooling fan (passenger side) was not running. replaced it today, started up, ran until at normal temp and ran for about 15+min at that temp and the new fan never came on.

shouldn't it have come on within that time? could it be that the temp switch referenced earlier may be bad? FredSVT do you have a diagram on how to replace this switch (if that's what it is)?

thanks for any help.

1995 Accord EX Coupe (purchased new) - 205K mi
2010 Odyssey EX - 40k mi
1996 Ford Ranger XLT - 118k mi
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 72k mi
2003 Odyssey EX (purchased in 2004 w/ 16k mi) - 160k mi - SOLD
post #15 of 15 Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocode View Post
having a similar problem with my 95 EX. temp gauge would creep up over the halfway mark when in slow/stopped traffic this summer. popped the hood when it was that hot and the radiator cooling fan (passenger side) was not running. replaced it today, started up, ran until at normal temp and ran for about 15+min at that temp and the new fan never came on.

shouldn't it have come on within that time? could it be that the temp switch referenced earlier may be bad? FredSVT do you have a diagram on how to replace this switch (if that's what it is)?

thanks for any help.
90+ here today. Checked the car after driving it a while and new fan is running. Guess I didn't run it long enough on Sat. Problem solved.

1995 Accord EX Coupe (purchased new) - 205K mi
2010 Odyssey EX - 40k mi
1996 Ford Ranger XLT - 118k mi
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 72k mi
2003 Odyssey EX (purchased in 2004 w/ 16k mi) - 160k mi - SOLD
Advertisement

Tags
idle, overheat, surging, traffic, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.