Had timing belt changed and its a little louder????? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Had timing belt changed and its a little louder?????

Guys/Girls, can you help me at all here. I just had a timing belt changed on my wife's 1998 Honda Accord EX at 83,600 miles and even though i do not drive it every day like she does i do notice it being a little louder than before. When you accelerate from a dead stop it is very noticeable but once you get up to 45 or so its really no louder than it was before. Can anyone suggest anything at all.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 AM
1st Gear

Are you sure they didn't destroy the flex section on your front exhaust pipe when doing the job??

I'm unfamiliar w/ Honda's, and I'm not sure if you have to remove the oil pan to do any of the Timing set...

Maybe they didn't do the timing belt right, and have either advanced or retarded your timing..

I've heard of that making your car sound a little louder, but it'd also run a lot different...

After 45mph, it's hard to really hear, due to your speed, road noise, ambient noise, etc...

JT

post #3 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Louder? From where? Out the back as in exhaust? In the engine compartment?

Need more info!!!

post #4 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 07:52 AM
ready to go....

No oil pan removal on a honda's timing belt change.

Just valve cover, timing cover & a few smaller items. I think the only thing underneath would be the plastic splash guard..... Many older cars have long lost theirs!!
post #5 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Out of Control

Timing is electronically controlled unless they missed a tooth on the belt, but in that case the engine should have been AWOL already.

Princess does tension play a role in it? There's a noise from my engine I've been trying to pinpoint ever since I got the car. Only evident under about 1200RPM, sounds related to RPM...replaced all the belts which was our original suspicion, so I think the timing belt is just a tad tight and maybe the water pump bearings are dead. Could that be it?
post #6 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
6th Gear

I had the same thing happen with my 96. Had the first t-belt replaced at 90,000 miles and the engine always had more of a whining-like noise to it afterwards. It finally went away (either that or I just stopped noticing) by the time the second t-belt service was done at 160,000 miles. The dealership did the second job, and replaced the tensioner. I did not notice any noise afterwards. My guess is that it's a combination of the old tensioner and the tension of the new belt.

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #7 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 PM
K20A3 > F22A1

Since a timing belt job also involves at least one other belt (balancer shaft belt?) and sometime (usually?) the 2 accessory belts as well (A/C, Alternator, PS) it's possible that it's another belt that is causing the problem.

My 93 has had a terrible whine since the last timing belt change, and I think it's the power steering belt. (Luckily it's on top...)

Then again, I think I need a new PS pump... =(

The Fleet:
------------
07 Accord SE (Royal Blue Pearl) - 13 mi
04 RSX (Nighthawk Black Pearl) - 37,000 mi

Recent Departures:
------------
93 Accord LX (Arcadia Green Pearl) - 224,000 mi
"Bye my little green car, I'll miss you!!!"
post #8 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 PM
ready to go....

Belt Tension
Adjustment
When you install the P/S and A/C belts during an A/C
kit installation (or at any time, for that matter), its
critical that you adjust the belts to the proper tension. If a
belt is overtensioned, it puts too much load on the
components. If a belt is undertensioned, it may slip and
create other symptoms (for example, intermittent power
steering or a chirping noise when the A/C compressor
engages).
Since every dealership should have at least one belt
tension gauge, T/N 07JGG-001010A, and all late-model
S/Ms have belt tension specifications, theres really no
excuse for improperly tensioned belts. But remember:
you should always end up using the used belt
specification.
A belt is considered used after its been run for five
minutes. This means that original-equipment belts are
used by the time the car leaves the factory.
And when you do install a new belt, adjust it to the new
belt specification, run the engine for at least five
minutes, then readjust the belt to the used belt
specification.

I ask to see if there's any ideas from my other half.... He's had a long weekend.... he was sick on his birthday (sunday) & Monday...but still had things to do. Tonight he's at class 3 of 4 of the SMOG update class. He didn't want to go....but after paying the 265, he's not missing it!!
post #9 of 12 Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 PM
ready to go....

Loose Front Balancer Shaft
Pulley Can Cause Noise
On ’00–01 Accord L4s, a loose or broken front
balancer shaft pulley can cause a grinding,
whirring, or knocking noise under the timing belt
cover. The culprit is a manufacturing process error
that prevents proper clamping of the pulley. A
pulley that isn’t properly clamped will fail within
a few thousand miles.
To fix this problem, replace the front balancer
shaft, the pulley, the washer, the seal, and the
mounting bolt. You don’t need to replace the
short block or do added troubleshooting to get a
lasting repair.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 04:32 AM
1st Gear

I don't know if the Balance shafts are similiar but:

I used to own a DSM, and am still a member of their Forums/club... I remember reading articles of people who, when doing their timing belt, didn't put the Balance shaft back in it's correct phase; meaning that it was 180 degrees out..

That would traditionally cause vibration, louder engine presence, and eventually, when the smaller belt failed, it would take the timing belt w/ it, and since 4g63's are "interferent," there goes your head, if you're lucky, and maybe a few other things too...

JT
post #11 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 01:08 PM
ready to go....

Quote:
Princess does tension play a role in it?
Low pitch noise would be too tight tension.
A slappy noise would be too loose tension.

Balancer shaft un-sycronized can cause noise too.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

resurrecting thread here...

i have the same issue right now. taking it back apart tomorrow. i think i just dont have enough tension on the t-belt.

it strikes me though about the clamp on the balance shaft tensioner becuase i didnt think that thing fit worth a crap.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.