accessory socket not working? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

accessory socket not working?

Hi

Yesterday, I was able to charge my GPS unit with the cigarette lighter socket, but this morning when I went to plug it in. There was no power at all.

I checked my fuses and looked for all of the ones with "ACC" <--- they were all ok, I checked the connector under the shifter, it looked fine and I also plugged my power cable in another car and it works...

Have any other ideas what can go wrong regarding the power socket? Do I need it replaced?

My car is 2003 Accord, V6 EX-L

Thanks in advance.

I hope this is a simple fix.

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

There are two fuses to check for the 12v accessory socket. Fuse #9 (15A) and Fuse #32 (7.5A) under the dash in the fuse box (driver side by the hood release). One of those could be blown. Fuse 9 is the fuse for both accessory sockets and Fuse 32 is for the accessory socket relay and audio system.

post #3 of 11 Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 AM
All VTEC. All the time.

Try plugging something else into the socket to check for power.

Sometimes the GPS power adapter is the problem.

'16 Accord Sport CVT i4 Lunar Silver Metallic 1K mi
> debadged / oem splash guard kit & cargo tray
'00 Odyssey EX Granite Green Metallic 154K mi
> debadged / oem splash guard kit & cargo tray

Gone, but not forgotten...
'07 Accord SE Alabaster Silver Metallic / traded in at 119K mi
'87 Civic Sedan Paisley Red Metallic / totaled at around 60K mi
'72 Civic Platinum Silver Metallic rusted to oblivion at around 60K mi

post #4 of 11 Old 10-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Robot View Post
Try plugging something else into the socket to check for power.

Sometimes the GPS power adapter is the problem.
He already tested his GPS in another vehicle and the power adapter works fine.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-16-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
There are two fuses to check for the 12v accessory socket. Fuse #9 (15A) and Fuse #32 (7.5A) under the dash in the fuse box (driver side by the hood release). One of those could be blown. Fuse 9 is the fuse for both accessory sockets and Fuse 32 is for the accessory socket relay and audio system.
thanks, i'm gonna get them checked out. Very detailed!

uh... I'll tell you why and what happened. It's time to come clean.
So I bought this flashlight for the car from dealsextreme

And when it arrived, it didn't fit. So I tried being a smart ass and wrapped the flashlight in tin foil and tried charging it thru the socket. As tin foil is a good conductor of electricity. But I ended up short circuiting. So I'm hoping it's a fuse problem as I have other uses of the socket.

I will update more.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.chan07 View Post
thanks, i'm gonna get them checked out. Very detailed!

uh... I'll tell you why and what happened. It's time to come clean.
So I bought this flashlight for the car from dealsextreme

And when it arrived, it didn't fit. So I tried being a smart ass and wrapped the flashlight in tin foil and tried charging it thru the socket. As tin foil is a good conductor of electricity. But I ended up short circuiting. So I'm hoping it's a fuse problem as I have other uses of the socket.

I will update more.
Sounds like you blew the fuse. You probably didn't know which ones to check. I recently blew the fuse when I was installing my XM radio. When I turned on the key to shift out of park to remove the lower pocket, the unplugged 12v harness must have grounded out and blew the fuse. Since I have the service manual, I knew which fuses to check.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I did blow the fuse, i replaced it and it was all good!

Thanks hillstones, I'm actually embarrassed that this was a simple fix...but now I know.

It was fuse #9 that blew out... just to let you know.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-31-2009, 05:32 PM

I think #9 was the fuse that blew out on mine too when the harness grounded out.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

2008 accord cigarette lighter

I got an 08 accord has 2 cigarette lighter 1 in front of the shifter and 1 inside the arm rest ant tge 1 under the arm rest is the 1 working idk if is a fuse since 1 works help please email me at
post #10 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 AM
OneLuckyGuy

2003 Honda Accord Accessory socket not working?

I have checked both fuses #9 & #32 and they are both good. I also tried other good fuses and it made no difference. Both sockets are not working. I have also tried two different devices and neither draw power.
Any other suggestions?
post #11 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLuckyGuy View Post
I have checked both fuses #9 & #32 and they are both good. I also tried other good fuses and it made no difference. Both sockets are not working. I have also tried two different devices and neither draw power.
Any other suggestions?
This is an 8 year old thread. There is a relay as well that is probably your issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.