Caliper Bleeder valve bolt snapped off - Drive Accord Honda Forums |
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Caliper Bleeder valve bolt snapped off

After installing a new rear brake caliper and bleeding the brakes I snapped off the bleeder valve screw while tightening it. I think the whole neighborhood heard me screem.

Anyway, I already finished bleading the system, but now I'm torn over whether I should extract the bleeder screw now, even though it is not leaking, or wait until I have to do my brakes again and do it then.

Will this cause any problems leaving the screw in there without a rubber cap on it? Can air get into the system?

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX V6.

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
If it was me, I would remove it, replace it, and then bleed the system again. While you may not run into a problem you are putting the life of yourself, your passengers, and everyone on the road with you at an unnecessary risk every time you drive it the way it is now.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

New screw

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I don't think there will be any problems, but I don't feel comfortable the way it is.

Hopefully, I can find a new screw and figure a way to extract the broken one.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
3rd Gear

If the head broke off, an easy out would remove the screw. Dealers would be your best bet. They can't be over $10.00 each.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 AM

try an easy out. they can be found at hardware stores. Basiclly a revearse drill bit that spins the broken bolt out. Best way to get it done IMO.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
3rd Gear

Be careful with an easy out! If it's broken off close to the caliper you could accidentally damage the threads on the caliper.

I've only broken bleeder screws trying to get them off after they rusted on. Make sure not to over tighten, torque them to spec.

04 Accord EX V6 Coupe
post #7 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear

Use a small easy out, one that just fits into the bleed hole in the screw and you shouldn't have a problem. The procedure is to insert the easy out then tap it slightly with a hammer, then turn the easy out to unscrew the screw.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Bleeder bolt

I called up Autozone and they said they will the will replace it with a new caliper. I just bought this caliper last weekend. I think that may be easier than trying to remove the old screw.

The bleeder bolt was made of some cheap metal. The top just spun right off. Very clean break actually. I may have put too much torque, but it should have not snapped like this.

bleed, brakes, caliper, screw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.