7th Gen Transmission Failures - Logbook - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 270 Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

7th Gen Transmission Failures - Logbook

As the 7th gen Accords get up in years and mileage, just wanted to keep track of any members who have had transmission failures and replacements. We know this was a serious problem on the 6th gen automatics, and there was a recall to modify the trans on the 7th gen early models.

Is the failure rate on 7th gen transmissions going to be unusually high? Let us know your experience...

NOTE: If you are reporting a trans failure, please include mileage, symptoms, warranty status, and final resolution.

'13 Accord EXL V6 (63k miles) - SOLD 10/17
'16 Pilot EX-L (13k miles)
'14 CR-V EX (33k miles)
Advertisement

post #2 of 270 Old 07-27-2005, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Here is some anecdotal evidence from V6performance.net (Note: most or all of these are V6 because of the site they were taken from):

Total occurrences from this web site = 12

2003 Accord EX Coupe - 48k miles - female driver (FWIW); 18" wheels - failure out of warranty - Honda agreed to replace the trans labor-only - cost $700 to owner

2003 EXV6 - 40k miles - During the shift between 2nd and 3rd gear, the RPMS would get pegged at redline, and the car would move at a brisk 20mph. Aftermarket equipment: cold air intake, 17" tl wheels, powerslot rotors and hawk pads.

2003 EXV6 Coupe - 31k miles - car wouldn't shift into 3rd gear from 2nd... RPM's just flew up whenever gas pedal was pushed. Couldn't even go 25+mph

2003 V6 - On tranny # 3 - 1st one went at 16k; 2nd at 38k

2003 EXV6 - 31.5k miles

2003 EXV6 sedan - 45k miles - new trans for free

2004 LX Coupe (V6?) - 41k miles - Honda said the shift fork was out of alignment

2003 EXV6 - 35k miles - jerkiness - kept downshifting - pressed on the gas to speed up and RPM went crazy - whining noise - INJEN cold-air intake - free trans replacement

2003 V6 Coupe - 40k miles - free replacement trans

2003 EXV6 - 63k miles - free trans replacement even though out of warranty

2004 EXV6 sedan - ??? miles - free replacement

2003 LXV6 - ??? miles - free replacement

'14 CR-V EX (33k miles)
post #3 of 270 Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Posted on V6performance.net re: a response to a customer with a failed trans:

{I don't know how legitimate this is, but it sounds pretty real...}

Hi. I'm a Honda tech. I'm one of the dudes that works on your car. And I gotta say, I'm really unhappy at reading this.

First, every 5-speed automatic attached to a V6 has a recall on it if it was made up until about 4 months ago. 2nd gear has insufficiently sized bearings. It overheats, turns blue, breaks, and locks up at highway speeds. The tires lock up and you guessed it, you lose control. I'm not afraid of saying this because the recall is PUBLIC and this is not secret information.

Why am I unhappy? Well for one, changing transmissions on these cars (accords), trucks (pilots), and oddysey's sucks. It pays crap, and it makes the mechanics want to "not see the problem" ... Honda techs are paid flatrate. We get paid what the customer (or Honda) pays in labor/hours. Say we get $15/each labor hour we work. Well, the goal is to beat that time. To perform a 3 hour service in 2 hours, then move on to the next work. It's the only way you make money. Warranty pays 75% of what the customer pays for a given job. All recalls are warranty work. Obviously we like customer pay vs. warranty.

Well, sometimes warranty is unfair. It's never been this grossly unfair though. It's got a lot of techs having trouble paying their bills, even.

For a warranty trans inspection/recall, this translates to Honda paying a tech 8.2 hours of labor to:

Test drive the trans.
Take it partially apart.
Take pictures of 2nd gear.
Send those pictures to honda, and PRAY that they come back and say the teeth look fine. quite often, Honda says OH! Time to replace the trans.
Take trans out.
Put in new trans.
Perform an alignment.
Test drive car.

... takes about 10 hours for an expert ASE Master tech such as myself to do it.

... takes about 16 hours for a normal tech.

You get paid 8.2. Period. No if's, and's, or but's. Hondas view is "We're losing our ass on these transmissions, so, sorry- so do you."

Many techs who have been working for Honda 15-18 hours are starting to quit over this. You wouldn't begin to believe the building rage on this problem. The anger towards honda for crapping on their techs when the problem is so severe. The anger that the customers cars, hundreds of thousands of them, have received such poorly designed transmissions. (The running joke is the maker of the dodge caravan transmissions built these all for honda) .. and there is the frustration and severe concern over what is to happen in the future. It takes 1-2 days for a tech to change a transmission. A given dealership, if converted into a transmission replacement only service station (something impossible), could replace 10-15 transmissions per day in a theoretical world. That's less than 3000 transmissions per year. Each dealership services far more than that many vehicles in it's own area. At this rate, it would take 4-5 years to do this to do every transmission. But that's impossible. And I would/could never do it.

So instead we install this jet kit that squirts oil onto 2nd gear, and we hope that it doesn't overheat. Nevermind the fact that the new transmissions as of 4 months ago don't have that. They have bigger bearings. Nevermind that the transmissions we're installing jetkits onto are STILL failing.

So... this really, really pisses me off. Because we KNOW about the trans problem. That every day we FEAR having a trans come into our bay... to have a customer complain about a whining sound- which is the absolute worst case before impending gear lock up, and say that it's only TIRE noise ... tells me something about that dealership.

I know the techs don't want to change the transmissions. I don't want to. But it's my job, it's what I'm paid (barely) to do, and until I see fit to find other work, I will not endanger my customers with lies to increase my paycheck.

That, my friend, is exactly what has happened.

So ... get your butt to the dealership, ream the service manager a new one ... and threaten legal litigation if necessary.

Anonymous unhappy Honda Tech.

'14 CR-V EX (33k miles)

post #4 of 270 Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Out of Control

Looks like they have not improved the transmission any. I was hoping with the Odyssey they might have fixed the problem, but I doubt bigger bearings and a jet kit would do it. And what the Honda tech says sounds to be about right. Just ask prince/princess.
post #5 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Lovin' every minute of it

Working in the Automotive Industry for the past 15yrs.... I can see your point and why you may be slightly "disgruntled" about how the situation is regarding "warranty" work. You have bills to pay and things to buy to survive. Nobody wants to work for 'free', or not get paid for what they do...

But from the "business" aspect of it: if the company is not collecting "money" from the customer, it can ill afford to pay out "money" and still remain profitable. Not in this day and age... Shareholders expect a Return on Investment and "adequately" paying for warranty work isn't something that I can see happening in the near future... realistically...

I feel your pain bro! You'll win some (do a brake job that quoted 2 hrs and get it done in 45min) and lose some (trans). Continue to do the right thing and your customers will return when the vehicle is NOT in warranty...

2009 Accord LX Sedan Polished Metal
post #6 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafettawhite
Working in the Automotive Industry for the past 15yrs.... I can see your point and why you may be slightly "disgruntled" about how the situation is regarding "warranty" work.
Just to clarify: the above post #3 was copied from another web site, allegedly posted by a Honda tech in the Mid-Atlantic area. It was described as an e-mail reply to a customer who had taken his 7th gen Accord in for transmission diagnosis.

'14 CR-V EX (33k miles)
post #7 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 07:26 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Sounds totally bogus to me....

Honda doesn't usually even pay for test drive time. Second Honda pays 10.4 hours for a '03 V6 tranny replacement, not 8.2. Plus under 36K would get a free tranny IF it had theproblems he has described pretty much without issue. One's in the 40-60K range are often replaced by "goodwill" if needed. Also I don't think you do an alignment with a V6 tranny swap.

Prince gets ALL the ATs at his shop, no one else wants to touch them....they whine 'cuz they are a pain. I think there was one failure before the jetkit, but none since.

Sounds like someone that just wants to make people all nervous again after we've all started to relax about our ATs!

Honda's "isis" site is just for info like he claiming.... the stuff for the employees to help them. If there were a bunch of failures, they'd HAVE to let the techs know. There's NOTHING!!

Losing second gear would mean no second gear, not tires locking up...as I understand it! It may be stuck in first, stuck in second, stuck in whatever gear it was in, but not lock up.

He IS right about Honda paying less for warranty work. They always have. ALL warranty work. Oaccationally they drop the time more. I've explained this all to you before. That's why when you take your car in they WANT to find something, they don't get paid anything if they don't.

Maybe he's really a Toyota tech!!! Doesn't like the competition!!

We WE own 2 of them if we'd heard about chronic failures? As much as I love my car, I'd be trading it for something else! I wouldn't want to worry about being stuck down on i5 in 110 degree temps in the middle of nowhere with a failed tranny!!

I have passed info that I knew would make a few panic. I have done it anyway.... IF I EVER hear of anything like this, I WILL pass it on!! THATS the WHOLE point to the ISIS site where I get the info...to keep the employees up to date on what to expect!! You've seen Honda's method on the "things that may become a pattern" thread. Does it sound like the Honda Corp. to leave us out in the cold? It's Honda, not Dodge!!! They share!!
post #8 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 07:35 AM
pro common sense!

and princess comes out of hiding on this....

ps~i don't work on anythin related to cars, but when there is a problem or people are off or whatever and i have to work extra, i HAVE to work. i don't get paid extra for it. i don't get paid by my output either. so even though i nearly double the output of most of my peers, i don't get anything in return. it's a problme with ALL lines of work, not just one. everyone can moan and complain about what they do for a living and how much or little they get paid and how much/little respect they get, etc,etc,etc..... over the last 3 days i've worked about 4.5 hours extra, that lowers my per hour pay rate which is already pathetic for someone with a 4 year degree and 5 years of experience!! but oh well. i'm trying to "fix" that. that's all anyone can do if they're not happy with where they work.....

ps-i wouldn't be worried if i had an automatic accord. i know honda would cover me if something happened.

Current:
06 Nighthawk Black Acura TSX 6 spd~mine~20mm tl sway bar
08 Alabaster Silver Metallic RDX Tech Pkg~stevels'

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray
04 Nighthawk Black EX Accord Coupe~5spd~crooked

03 Ruby Red Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
00 Vintage Plum Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
post #9 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
Prince gets ALL the ATs at his shop... I think there was one failure before the jetkit, but none since.
Really? That is encouraging. I would have to assume that no one at radio-pro.ru has had an issue yet, since i haven't seen anything posted.

Kinda makes you think the failures at v6performance.net have something to do with the type of drivers and the modding of their cars....

'14 CR-V EX (33k miles)
post #10 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 09:27 AM
pro common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairallel
Really? That is encouraging. I would have to assume that no one at radio-pro.ru has had an issue yet, since i haven't seen anything posted.

Kinda makes you think the failures at v6performance.net have something to do with the type of drivers and the modding of their cars....
i would definitely think there would be a link between how people drive their cars and how the tranny holds up! my ex best friend had about 80k on her 01 6th gen v6 coupe last i heard and no signs of trouble at all yet..... ubt she is a veyr conservative driver. i'd think her horn/high beams would wear out before her tranny..... she has a bit of a tendancy to use those constantly!

Current:
06 Nighthawk Black Acura TSX 6 spd~mine~20mm tl sway bar
08 Alabaster Silver Metallic RDX Tech Pkg~stevels'

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray
04 Nighthawk Black EX Accord Coupe~5spd~crooked

03 Ruby Red Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
00 Vintage Plum Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
post #11 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
ready to go....

I don't think anyone can accuse me of being a conservative driver.

Today I was playing with a brand new caddy..... being on the empty roads right past commute time is so fun!

I'm not saying it's impossible for these trannies to have problems.... I am saying IF they do it's not some sort of Honda conspiracy.... we haven't seen them. If there is a problem I bet we'd get an extended warranty just like some in the previous gen.

One of the reasons most of bought Hondas is the way they stand behind their product, right? So why would they suddenly pull something so unlike their past?

All machines are going to have flaws.... for the Accord I have posted the articles & bulletins I have found. The site I refer to is for the dealers to have all needed info.... it's where their tech-line is, sales info, parts info, service info...... they really WANT to communicate with each other.

I still think it's a Toyota tech!!

Maybe I'll show the site to Steve & Anysia when they're here....

post #12 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 12:15 PM
5th Gear

This is what I conclude from that:
Change your tranny fluid often, and add a tranny cooler!!!!

Kinda glad I own a 4cyl after reading that

Durka Durka
post #13 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Out of Control

Even though they've gotten better (I admit that) I still don't think they're back up to Honda quality that I'm used to. Do you think they'll go 250K on the original tranny? I dunno...
post #14 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 12:24 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
the trannys of old (rough shifting, but very reliable) were the best ones..... since i've owned my car, i have put 160k on it myself, and occasionally it does slip, but it's still in pretty good shape.....

time to get her flushed.....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #15 of 270 Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 PM
ready to go....

I asked more specifically about the AT's.... since the Pilot came out, his shop that has 20 techs have replaced 2 trannies, both due to a leak, not gear failure. There have been five 7th gen Accord trannies replaced, one due to an external broken part that damaged it, one for a burnt...but not failed...second gear, the other 3 were replaced, but I don't remember the reason he told me ....not gears. He has no idea how many Odys since the body is the same as the ones with the previous tranny. He didn't remember if the one with a burnt gear was before or after the oil jet, but it had pretty high miles.

He agreed that even if second gear went, it would not lock up the wheels. If it was able to do that it would be a safety recall...Honda wouldn't have a choice, that's controled by the government.

The Pilot will continue to pull the boat & get him to work. The Accord will continue to take me shopping & to Disneyland....with full confidence!

We don't owe a dime on either & if I thought I'd need to worry, I'd be using it as an excuse to buy a TL!!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.