Steering fluid leak + smoke! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Steering fluid leak + smoke!

So I noticed the steering fluid was a bit low and discovered that the steering pressure hose is leaking (probably cracked, I donno). Dealer won't replace it over warranty so I ordered the part and waiting for it to be delivered.

Problem is, now I can see white smoke coming from under the engine bay and some grinding sound (my guess is it's the pump being low on fluid - although it doesn't really leak that much, 2 weeks after refill and can't really tell a difference in the reservoir).

Smoke is more or less constant so I stopped driving the car until I get the part here.

Now I'm planning a trip to the dealer (half an hour drive) and I'm worried it might start a fire. Anyone knows what it would be dripping on from the pressure hose and if it can be dangerous enough to start a fire?

2006 Accord Sedan V6
CarPC · Alpine CDA-9887 + Imprint · Dynaudio Esotec 342 · Polk db690 · RF P450.4 · Alpine MRP-T222 · Basslink.
TL-S anti-sway bars · oem front shock tower brace. TEIN FLEX + EDFC
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM
<error: divide by zero>

Its possible. Cant they ship directly to you?

Mike M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheels,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(temp and Maplights),
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

They'll ship the part to me but I have to take it and the car to the dealer to replace. I don't want to fiddle with it myself and don't have the time anymore really.

2006 Accord Sedan V6
CarPC · Alpine CDA-9887 + Imprint · Dynaudio Esotec 342 · Polk db690 · RF P450.4 · Alpine MRP-T222 · Basslink.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

Power steering is highly flammable. I wouldn't drive it until you get it replaced.

1989 Honda Accord LX:
167,5xx miles
Rear disk brakes
City: 24mpg
Highway: 37mpg
post #5 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
3rd Gear

Can't you get your insurance to pay for a tow?

2003 EX-L Sedan I4 5AT
post #6 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 AM
5th Gear

Why in the world wont the dealer replace it? Thats not a wear item.

Are you out of warrenty? If not, call Honda direct. That should be covered unless damaged by something you did or occured while driving some how.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
smoke is from the PS fluid leaking onto a hot item, most likely the exhaust manifold.
i had a leak on my old acura, i drove it around for almost 2 weeks until my high pressure power steering hose finally came in. it is flammable, but theres a difference between touching something hot and an open flame, you'll be fine driving it around aslong as you dont run out of PS fluid.

-'15 Accord Sport 6-speed
no mods
RIP-08 Accord lx-s 5speed manual/ tafetta white
mods
|DDM tuning 6k hids|12" Alpine Type-R|TSX switchblade|Lip spoiler|Type-R Suede red stitch boot|Gunmetal Type-R knob|
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
OCD

It's a level one flammable liquid (i.e. minimal hazard), but it is flammable.

0 = no hazard
1 = minimal hazard (ps fluid, flash point above 200F)
2 = slight hazard (e.g. diesel)
3 = moderate hazard (e.g. gasoline)
4 = severe hazard (e.g. propane)

10 Civic Type S GT 1.8L MT I4
05 Accord Coupe LX-SE MT I4 Gone..sniff sniff
post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 PM
4th Gear

^^^ I know a few stories of P/S causing the car to catch fire.

1989 Honda Accord LX:
167,5xx miles
Rear disk brakes
City: 24mpg
Highway: 37mpg
post #10 of 10 Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Apparently I can get the dealer to tow it at no charge.

I never argued if it should be under warranty or not. I never touched it and can't think of anything that might crack it other than the dealer when I take it for periodic maintenance.

Now I'm sure I'll be asking them to tow and it and replace the hose for free.

2006 Accord Sedan V6
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.