P1157 is FRONT O2 sensor? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

P1157 is FRONT O2 sensor?

Car has been running a bit poorly the last few months with no code, and finally last week it popped.... OBD2 checker says P1157

Is (Sensor 1) the front, or pre cat sensor? edit: Rock Auto lists sensors as "upstream" or "downstream". That's before and after cat respectively?

Also, my build sheet says EPA Certified tier 2 Bin 5 CARB certified LEV2. Is this California or non-California emissions? Bought the car in Phoenix AZ, and I suppose it could be.... Just want to make sure I get the right sensor assuming there's a difference....

Thanks!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Put that cookie down! NOW

#1 Sensor (Upstream Pre-Kitty) is always the Air/Fuel Sensor and #2 Sensor (Downstream Post-Kitty) is always the Oxygen Sensor. #2 sensor is less likely to fail than the #1 A/F sensor.
I work at a Honda dealer and I still have to see a failed #2 Downstream sensor. CARB is basically California emissions certification if you ever drive and register it in California.

2010 ACCORD EXL-V6 Sedan (Ricer Car)
2007 FIT SPORT (Race Car)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear

I had a P0135 for air fuel sensor bank 1 sensor 1 a while ago. I just lived with the light for a while and it would go away for a while and come back and stay for a while. Would keep doing this and I eventually was going to buy one but then the light never came back on! Got lucky, I think the original Honda one was like $130 on an online dealers website.

2007 Accord LX Coupe
2.4L Inline 4
5 Speed AT
133,000 Miles
Graphite Pearl

post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickj35z View Post
#1 Sensor (Upstream Pre-Kitty) is always the Air/Fuel Sensor and #2 Sensor (Downstream Post-Kitty) is always the Oxygen Sensor. #2 sensor is less likely to fail than the #1 A/F sensor.
I work at a Honda dealer and I still have to see a failed #2 Downstream sensor. CARB is basically California emissions certification if you ever drive and register it in California.
Okay, good to know.
So when I purchase I need "with California emissions" parts? Checking Rock Auto I see all the "downstream" sensors have the "with California emissions" options but I do not see that option for the #1 sensor.... Could the upstream be the same with or without? Also they sell the Denso sensor that I'd want....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayCoupe View Post
I had a P0135 for air fuel sensor bank 1 sensor 1 a while ago. I just lived with the light for a while and it would go away for a while and come back and stay for a while. Would keep doing this and I eventually was going to buy one but then the light never came back on! Got lucky, I think the original Honda one was like $130 on an online dealers website.
Had the same happen two years ago with this car.... P1157 code came on but car was running fine. I reset code and it came back on, so I figured i'd have to be gettin' a new one, but before I could the code cleared and didn't pop up again til just now! Got two more years out of it!!

Last edited by namegoeshere; 10-20-2016 at 12:18 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear

This topic was very helpful. I have had the check engine light on for quite a while now and even got some high results in emissions test. Took car to mechanic to fix the issue and he told me it was the the oxygen sensor #1 (which I expected) but he didn't have the part. He told me to purchase it and come back for replacement. Then went to rockauto.com and was confused with the upstream and downtream thing. So I got a scanner to see exactly which code I had and got P1157 code. Now I am even more confused because scanner says air/fuel ratio sensor. I was expecting a P0131 code. Anywhow, a quick search in this forum found me this topic which answered my exact question. Now I know I need the "upstream" oxygen sensor. Thanks a lot!!

Greetings from sunny Puerto Rico!

2017 Accord EX Sedan CVT
2003 Accord DX Sedan, 5MT (owned for 14.5 years and 264,500 miles)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.