98, door lock problem - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-03-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

98, door lock problem

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I hope someone can help. My 96, 4 door, accord's power door locks don't work. I could not find any post with a problem similar to mine. All but the driver's side door locks are stuck / locked down. When I try to unlock the doors the locks pop up for a split second and then go back down. I cannot manually pull up the knobs to unlock the doors. They are LOCKED down. The problem occurred at three separate times. First the R rear, a week later the L rear, and the R front a few weeks later. The driver's side lock works as normal. The other doors won't unlock regardless of which switch or key I use. All of the doors / locks work OK until this problem started. I can hear the actuators working on all of the doors. I'm certain that it will turn out to be an electrical problem, just not sure where to start. Is there a control unit or something similar that could be the issue? I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks, Karl

Last edited by karl34; 10-03-2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: error
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

locks

You probably need to replace the door lock actuators. Please search the forums and you will find an abundance of advice. From price to actual diagrams and parts lists. Hope this helps. I did all of mine with aftermarket units that I bought on-line. Maybe flea-bay. Good luck.

Ross Dewar

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr. Auto trans. 4 cy. V-Tec
1999 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2006 Honda Element XP
post #3 of 10 Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I searched and found many door lock / actuator posts. from them, I got the impression that most people with failed actuators could still manually lock and unlock the doors, (pull the knob up and down). Mine are locked down. The part about the locks popping up and then immediately going back down is not something i have seen in any other post. I hope somebody out there could shed some light on this. Thanks

post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 AM
1st Gear

door locks

I have 2003 accord and my door locks wont lock/unlock at all from the switch. I have had this problem for months and still cant figure this out.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Actuators can get stuck locked, or unlocked or not move at all..... there's not many parts in there to lock/unlock a door. So that's the first place to start. Many posts with instructions have been put on here for most years. Instructions to test the actuator & to replace it.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
Actuators can get stuck locked, or unlocked or not move at all..... there's not many parts in there to lock/unlock a door. So that's the first place to start. Many posts with instructions have been put on here for most years. Instructions to test the actuator & to replace it.
Princess (or anyone!) please help.

I'm in the middle of replacing my lock actuator (drivers side, 95 EX 2 door). Hooked it back up to test and you hear it click like it locks/unlocks, but the lock on the door (next to the inside handle/level) does not move. You can't even manually move it. Is that normal? I wonder now if the actuator was ok and there is some other problem? Been working on this thing for 3 hrs to get the old actuator out and new one in and still haven't resolved the problem.

Original problem - door would unlock and lock right back (couldn't manually unlock from inside). All indications were bad actuator.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1995 Accord EX Coupe (purchased new) - 205K mi
2010 Odyssey EX - 40k mi
1996 Ford Ranger XLT - 118k mi
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 72k mi
2003 Odyssey EX (purchased in 2004 w/ 16k mi) - 160k mi - SOLD
post #7 of 10 Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

I think I've got it. Seems that the door pull lever (inside) needs to be hooked up for proper operation. I pulled it towards where the latch would be (by hand before putting on door panel) and hit the remote lock/unlock. Worked fine.

For anyone else who may undertake this, just a tip to note.

Now if I can just get the center channel back in that I removed to get to the actuator. That seems like that will be an interesting challenge, but will have to wait until tomorrow.

2010 Odyssey EX - 40k mi
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 AM
2nd Gear

Ok, I looked at this more last night. I have searched here and several other accord forums looking for any info on how to install the lower window channel back in place and can't find anything about it. Does anyone have any images about how that channel connects to the top channel (upper part that frames the window opening)?

It apparently slides up in there somehow (only 1 bolt holds lower end), and I wasn't planning to take it out while replacing my actuator (it fell out during the course of the actuator install) so I didn't pay any attention to how it was originally connected. For the life of me I can't figure how or what it connects back to. The fact that it's nearly impossible to get your hand up there and see what you are doing at the same time doesn't help.

If anyone has a photo or diagram showing how this goes in it would be a lifesaver. Can't put my door back together until I figure this out.

I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks.

2010 Odyssey EX - 40k mi
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear

Anyone? FredSVT, Princess?

I may have to tear the passenger door apart to see if i can tell how that lower channel connects to the upper, hopefully I'll be able to see it.

Would it help to lower the window any? It's in up position now. This is the last item to put in to get everything back together.

It's killing me that the part I'm struggling with is not even that part that I went in to replace (that was the lock actuator).

Thanks for any help.

2010 Odyssey EX - 40k mi
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

I just replaced actuator on 7th gen accord and you are not suppose to remove the window track completely you just slide it down off the other piece and move it to the side while the rubber track is still attached. It is really easy to put back this way.

2005 Accord EX V6
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.