J30 IAC cleaning - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

J30 IAC cleaning

OK, so this isn't technically an accord question but it might as well be:

I've got a friend with a 1997 Acura CL with the J30 engine. It recently started throwing code P0505 (IAC System Malfunction). It seems logical to assume the IAC valve is just dirty (it's probably never been cleaned and it's 11 years old...) so I offered to help him out. I know my way around cars in general but I've never worked on a J30 before so I thought I'd post this here to make sure I'm covering all my bases and this job is as simple as it seems.

From pictures I've seen of the CL/Accord V6 engine bay it looks like the throttle body and IAC valve are easy to access. I'm planning to simply take it off, give it a healthy dose of intake cleaner, let it dry and put it back on. I'm not expecting any serious hangups since it doesn't look like anything extra must be removed to get the valve off, and the valve looks pretty simple.

Am I right about this?

Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

I'll cross-post this as a "PSA - Public Savings Alert": If you are going to replace the I.A.C. Valve, and opt for aftermarket (which I do all of the time with generally good results); do yourself a favor and BUY TWO...lest you get a bad one, and not know it... Having had to bear the time/expense of pulling the original {Denso}, believed bad, and swapping with a Driveworks {AdvaceAuto non-OEM}, I was thrown by exactly the same "hunting" behavior.

Ultimately, forsaking 'what are the chances of both bad?' thoughts, I swapped in the much more expensive OEM part - and PROBLEM SOLVED. Now; I suspect if I had bought a few aftermarkets, one would have worked fine. It's easy to pull and replace, so you can save money there (with not much to the innards, on a near twenty year old car, etc...) - just be aware that you can easily get a DoA part if you don't buy from the stealership.

Be advised - decide up front!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.