Recommended Spark Plugs? 1999 EX 3.0L V6 (High Miles) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
1999 EX V6 Coupe

Question Recommended Spark Plugs? 1999 EX 3.0L V6 (High Miles)

Tried searching, I guess I didn't use the right terms. I am sure you guys are kinda together on something simple like this:

I am doing some work this weekend on my 1999 Accord EX V6 Coupe. I'd like to just replace the spark plugs myself.
My friend at the dealership says I must buy NGK or Denso plugs. He quoted something like $22 each for platinum plugs. This seems excessive. I did find NGK double platinum plugs for about $12 each online.
Is this something I can do myself (I'll buy the wrench/socket/wires) or should I just pay to have it done?

I think everything ya need is in the subject but to reiterate I am talking about a 1999 Accord EX Coupe, with the 3.0L V6. 162k-ish miles. Any special considerations for plug wires, installation, etc.? Looks pretty easy, I just don't want to cause trouble by installing a plug that saves money but makes the car run poorly.

Best case scenario is that I can buy what I need at one time and save some money. I care more about the car, though, because she is special and I love her.

Thank you

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 AM

I always use the OEM plugs on mine. I was quoted that same price for NGK iridium plugs from the dealer. Advanced auto has them for $9.88. I would recommend the OEM wires. They are real easy to change if you are a DIYer. It took me about 30 minutes. It would have been less if the engine was cold. The back ones were a little more work since the clearance is poor.

The way I did it was to get the extension in the hole first and then attached the ratchet. Also a spark plus socket without the rubber was helpful when reinstalling. The socket kept getting left back on the plug when I was using the one with the rubber.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 AM
one wheel drive

Garage
Ditto on NGK PZFR5F-11 iridium plugs and the OEM wires. You can put a tad of anti-seize on the threads and torque to 13lbft. gap is .039-.043 fwiw. my car runs smooth as a cat and gets w/in a mpg of 30 combined driving this time of year so i find no reason to change this setup

99 EXV6 Coupe 220k 6spd swap
95 F250 supercab 7.3 4x4 5spd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- RIP, for you have served us well

post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 AM
5th Gear

The one thing I caution you on is that if this is the first time you are replacing them, be very careful when removing them since they have a possibility of being seized at this point with the amount of miles you have on it. I removed plugs in my mother's 99 Accord last year and they did have a little rust on them and that was with 60k miles.

[SIZE="1"]
2007 TSX - Auto - 93k miles - Non Nav - CGP - Mine
2009 Altima 2.5 SL - 123k miles - Auto - Sister's
1999 Accord LX Sedan - Auto - 109k miles Dad's
2012 Camry LE - Auto - 18k miles Mom's
2016 Pilot - 22k miles Sister's
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
The cars with platinum/iridium plugs only need them every 100k. I would go ahead and do it right!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 PM
wanting my accord to run!

id go with the NGK iridium plugs. they are the best plugs for the money. im on the west coast and i work at baxter auto parts. they are $8.99 over here so they shouldnt be much more over there. then if you are gonna do wires to, get the MSD wires with the NGK plugs. that would be the best combo. they already come pre-gapped so you dont have to worry about that. its pretty easy to do them yourself and its pretty cheap for good plugs and wires.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutLimo View Post
Ditto on NGK PZFR5F-11 iridium plugs and the OEM wires. You can put a tad of anti-seize on the threads and torque to 13lbft. gap is .039-.043 fwiw. my car runs smooth as a cat and gets w/in a mpg of 30 combined driving this time of year so i find no reason to change this setup
PZFR5F-11 are platinum plugs. IZFR5F-11 would be iridium plugs.

The platinum plugs are good for at least 100k in a regularly driven car. Same goes for the wires. The iridium plugs 120k or more.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #8 of 12 Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 PM
one wheel drive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
PZFR5F-11 are platinum plugs. IZFR5F-11 would be iridium plugs.

The platinum plugs are good for at least 100k in a regularly driven car. Same goes for the wires. The iridium plugs 120k or more.
Oh good catch, for some reason I thought the factory plugs were iridium. obviously not.. Man you're an encyclopedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by npolite View Post
The one thing I caution you on is that if this is the first time you are replacing them, be very careful when removing them since they have a possibility of being seized at this point with the amount of miles you have on it. I removed plugs in my mother's 99 Accord last year and they did have a little rust on them and that was with 60k miles.
Good point. I replaced my OEM plugs a few weekends ago on my 02 with only 60K miles. I was surprised at how much force I had to apply to loosen them (IIRC spec is only 13 ft-lbs). There was a little crud built up on the threads.

2010 PMM Accord LX-P, TSX rear sway, GG lower grille, 35% tint, 50K+
2006 Toyo Sienna LE, 100K+
2002 Accord SE (sold), TL rear sway and upper strut bars
post #10 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM

In 23 years of working on cars I've only run into a handful of seized spark plugs.
Never on a Honda, knock wood.

If you loosen them about a quarter turn then retighten, the carbon on the bottom of the plug will fall off and allow the plug to turn easier. Also, you shouldn't change plugs until the engine is cool.

I've never used anti seize, hate the stuff, it seems to make stuff stick more than it helps to do what it says. I always spray a small amount of penetrating oil on the threads of the new plugs and a very small amount into the plug hole to lube the threads on installation.

Seized plugs are common on the following, GM 2.2 ohv engine, Ford 1.9, both due to coolant intrusion from cracked heads. Ford 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 3 valve engines are super prone to breaking off half the plug in the head. Big time pain in the backside.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #11 of 12 Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 AM
one wheel drive

Garage
Fredsvt, you stick with penetrating oil on other threaded things just the same?

My friends dad is a long-time tugboat mechanic and got me using anti seize. I figured his working environment is almost as bad as driving in Vermont half the year so maybe he knew something about corrosion. The only problems I've seen is the cost and the mess it makes when it 'jumps' onto things you are trying to keep it away from.

post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
My First Post

Spark Plug Details!!!

Hey guys, Im trying to decide on spark plugs. I need to know the best type of style, Is it Tapered or Gasket?, what is the difference?, what are the benefits of each?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.