R12 to R134a AC conversion - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Go Tigers!

R12 to R134a AC conversion

Anyone have any experience with the DIY kits for 90-93s? Or having a shop retrofit? Cost?
Over the past 17 years my r12 has dwindled down to nothing. A shop tested it and it holds air pressure, but they want to convert instead of refill. They say nothing has to be replaced, just evac add PAG oil and new fittings and recharge with r134a.
Sound right?
Does the compressor or accumulator do well with these conversions.
Just don't want to have them do it and then find out something should have been replaced prior.
Give me some insight, please.

91 Accord EX AT
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2008, 07:05 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Some cars have compressors compatible with the R134a.

On the 1986 to 1989 Accord, there were two compressor types. The Kehin and the Denso. Denso's were compatible with both, Kehin's would not work with R134a. It may be similar on the 91. I would look at a parts website like to see if there are two compressors to choose from (don't use your VIN to search or it will only find one). - report back on that.

I would advise you to find a shop that still uses R12. It's hard, but its worth it. R12 systems converted to R134a do not work well. The system simply isn't designed for the newer stuff and the seals will leak out the R134a much faster as it is a smaller molecule than the R12.

Do some more shop hunting, see what comes up. There is someone out there with R12, I'm sure!

post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
I haven't heard of any major problems with converting over. Basically the filler valves need to be replaced to the newer, smaller ones. They'd likely add the oil needed when they fill it up.

They stopped making R12 a few years ago. Some places stocked up. The amounts have dwindled down to near nothing & it's expensive. I'd convert. In fact, we changed over one of the kids cars a while back. It worked fine.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Go Tigers!

It only lists the Denso compressor as being the OEM replacement. I do know of shops that have the r12 still available. The shop I had it at said they could fill with r12 for a total of $160, that was with the ac check included. Or $168 for r134a converted.
The one issue with r12 that they said was if there was a leak within 2 weeks, to bring it back to check it out. But they would have to charge me to evac and replace the r12. With the r134 they wouldn't charge me again. Probably because it's much cheaper for them to get.

91 Accord EX AT
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Many Accords...Many Miles

QUOTE=91EX;249835]It only lists the Denso compressor as being the OEM replacement. I do know of shops that have the r12 still available. The shop I had it at said they could fill with r12 for a total of $160, that was with the ac check included. Or $168 for r134a converted.
The one issue with r12 that they said was if there was a leak within 2 weeks, to bring it back to check it out. But they would have to charge me to evac and replace the r12. With the r134 they wouldn't charge me again. Probably because it's much cheaper for them to get.[/QUOTE]

Why can't they put in a dye first to check for any large leaks? I know they're out there but not sure if the dye can go in alone or requires to go in with the refrigerant. [

99 Accord EX Sedan 4 cyl, Black, 187K+ miles semi-retired
92 Accord LX Coupe 4 cyl, Charcoal Gray, Sold 187K miles
85 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Sold with 198K miles
84 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Totaled with 18K miles

08 Honda Element EX 4WD, Silver, 104k Miles
01 Isuzu Trooper 4wd V6, Gray, Traded at 125k miles
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd Ltd, V8, Taupe, Sold 148K miles
75 Jeep CJ5 4x4, Straight 6, White, Sold with ? miles
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Go Tigers!

Yeah, the dye needs to go in with refrigerant. Mine is about bone dry, so they pressurized with compressed air at 140lbs. Tech said it held for and hour without dropping. There's really no way to tell if the evaporator leaking without the dye or pulling the dash apart.

91 Accord EX AT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.