1995 Honda Accord LX timing belt squeal - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

1995 Honda Accord LX timing belt squeal

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum!

anyways, i bought my 1995 honda accord lx coupe during the summer (body and interior excellent condition ) and it drove like a charm. But then during the winter I noticed it beginning to make a squealing sound occasionally whenever I started it. And nowadays, the squealing almost always happens when I start the car, and my friend told me it was my timing belt. He took a look at it and told me to twist a bolt that tightened it and also to use something called timing belt lube? I looked all over for the lubricant but i havent found such a thing, and i tightened the screw all the way, but it still squeals occasionally hwen i start my car. would it be ok if I used something like WD-40? also my timing belt was changed before I bought the car. thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 AM

That is not a timing belt. The timing belt cannot be seen from the outside. It's either the alternator or the power steering belt that you hear. The usually means the belt needs replacing.

It squeals because when they get old the get hard and start to slip on the pulley. It's worse when the weather is colder. The only real fix is to replace the belt. Belt lube is a temporary fix.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #3 of 9 Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

thanks for the quick reply, just for my future reference this isnt the timing belt? (this isnt my engine its a pic of someone else's i found on the forum of the same year car)

once again thanks for the quick reply!

post #4 of 9 Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
The timing belt is under that black cover on the side of the top of valve cover.

My godmother's ody has a new belt down there and it still squeaks. It goes away very quickly though. Just one squeak and its gone.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

hi guys, i fixed the problem. apparently my friend didnt say timing belt he said brake disc belt lol. he gave me some kind of blue spray for it and i sprayed them and the squeal is gone.

1995 Honda Accord LX COUPE
Interior/Exterior Like New
Short Ram Intake
Carbon Fiber Tail Lights
Sylvia ultra bright headlight
post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Replace the belt, the spray is only a band aid. If that belt breaks you'll be in for a long walk. Brake disc belt? I do hope he was kidding.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

omg i have the worst listening skills ever... i just spoke with him and he said that it was the alternator drivebelt.... i sprayed brake disc spray onto that! the squealing stopped, but uhm... is this a bad thing??? uh oh..

1995 Honda Accord LX COUPE
Interior/Exterior Like New
Short Ram Intake
Carbon Fiber Tail Lights
Sylvia ultra bright headlight
post #8 of 9 Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
5th Gear

Not sure how many times someone's got to tell you this but ummm......go get the belt replaced. If your buddy is a little technical you can change both of them yourselves. The belts will run you about $20-$30. What I would be more concerned about though is indeed the timing belt on this car. Unless you have a service records of when it was done, I would get that replaced ASAP. Usually most people have the drive belts (thatís the belt that is squeaking) replaced with the timing belt as well as the water pump. So if the drive belt is worn itís probably a good chance that the timing belt is too . Since it seems you arenít that car knowledgeable, I will tell you that if the timing belt snaps, you can kiss the engine goodbye.

[SIZE="1"]
2007 TSX - Auto - 93k miles - Non Nav - CGP - Mine
2009 Altima 2.5 SL - 123k miles - Auto - Sister's
1999 Accord LX Sedan - Auto - 109k miles Dad's
2012 Camry LE - Auto - 18k miles Mom's
2016 Pilot - 22k miles Sister's
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 PM
My First Post

Belt Squeal at Starup

OK, before everyone starts telling me to replace these belts, I know that my serpentine belt is relatively new I am sure it has less than 70K on it and probably around 30K. I think I had both changed at 180K. It squealed like crazy when new. I know the timing belt has 30K on it: I had it/both changed at 180K per spec.

At startup for about a minute, depending on engine temperature, there is a mild squeal that then goes away. I am wondering if there is a bearing or idler gear that needs replacing at this point (slightly over 210K).

Any comments. I have also wondered about the Water pump being a former Volvo owner where water pumps are treated like a disposable item.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.