Front end alignment Camber adjustment? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Front end alignment Camber adjustment?

Had posted this question over on HondaAccordForum the post sat for 2 weeks with no replies. Wanted to see if anyone here had experience with alignment. I just copied the original post below. Taking the car into the dealer Thursday morning.
Any input would be appreciated.

Original Post

Took my recently purchased 05 Accord EX V6 in for a front end alignment. Problem is it drifts to the left and the wheel is off center to the right.

The shop is reputable with up to date Hunter equipment. They found the left side camber 2.7+ and said it is not adjustable. All they could do is set Toe and they felt doing so might may matters worse. They left it alone and no charge. There's no evidence of tire wear, all 4 look good with normal even wear.

With the car still under factory warranty I decided to check with the dealer and see how they would approach this problem. They say the camber is adjustable! Went ahead and made an appointment with the dealer but won't be until 6/14 due to my schedule.
Any idea's or experience's on the board with camber issues?

2005 Accord EX-L V6
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
pro common sense!

stevel can probably help with this... i know he's explained it to me (or something very similar) before. i asked him to come on over and check the thread out...

Current:
06 Nighthawk Black Acura TSX 6 spd~mine~20mm tl sway bar
08 Alabaster Silver Metallic RDX Tech Pkg~stevels'

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray
04 Nighthawk Black EX Accord Coupe~5spd~crooked

03 Ruby Red Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
00 Vintage Plum Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
post #3 of 14 Old 06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
accordless

the camber might be "tweakable", but it is not fully adjustable. I don't believe there is any way they'll change it from being that far out of spec..... only likelyhood I see is that the first shop didn't have the alignment heads mounted correctly and got very very incorrect readings...... seeing as tire wear is fine. that's where my guess goes....

'08 RDX tech.

'06 accord V6 6 MT nav sedan... gone.

'06 TSX 6MT.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 PM

It's highly unlikely that the front wheel camber would be +2.7 degrees. The wheel would be tilted out at the top so badly that it would destroy tires in short order as well as drive horribly.

The alignment place might have meant caster being +2.7 but without readings from the right side to compare it to there's no way to know what needs to be done.

Your car might need the subframe shifted, that's the only way to adjust caster angles on these cars. It won't make a huge change, but possibly enough to get the readings more equal. It will slightly affect camber readings, but not to any great extent.

The only way to get full adjustability is to replace factory parts with adjustable parts from places like spc products or ingalls engineering.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #5 of 14 Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM
5th Gear

The absolute way to check and adjust this might be on a body shop "frame machine."

If the car is truly "bent" they could bend it back to factory specifications.

Current cars:
2007 Accord VP Royal Blue/gray int. 4cyl automatic
2005 Acura MDX, no Navi, Gold Package, pearl white
frost, tan leather interior, Bose
1997 BMW Z-3, 1.9. 79,000 miles, Boston Green,
optional hard top
1997 Honda Accord, Red, SE 4 cyl, MINT, Original
80K (Son's car)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
maybe this can help......
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 99-07 models pulling or drifting 06-068.pdf (461.5 KB, 1977 views)
File Type: pdf 05 alignment specs.pdf (47.1 KB, 1633 views)
post #7 of 14 Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
The alignment place might have meant caster being +2.7
Correct me if I'm wrong but if caster is +2.7 this means it's well within specs, right?

2006 Accord Sedan V6
CarPC · Alpine CDA-9887 + Imprint · Dynaudio Esotec 342 · Polk db690 · RF P450.4 · Alpine MRP-T222 · Basslink.
TL-S anti-sway bars · oem front shock tower brace. TEIN FLEX + EDFC
post #8 of 14 Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

update on Alignment

First of all thanks to all who replied.
Took the car in to dealer for alignment today. Here is what they found.
Front left camber 1.0+ not the 2.7+ the tire shop said.
Front Right camber -.26
He was able to adjust camber by loosening the carriage and shifting it.
It is now .79+
The spec per printout is -.75 to +.75
Caster on the left was 1.75 spec is 2.5-4.0
It is now 2.22
So the left side is close but still out of spec.
Toe was in spec before and after.

With all that said I really didn't see any difference in how the car drove. Still drifts left and the wheel although less then before is still slightly off center to the right.
Just read through the S/B Princess posted. May have to print that out for the dealer.
Any thoughts?

2005 Accord EX-L V6
post #9 of 14 Old 06-16-2007, 11:14 AM

The left camber is still out of whack. The quarter of a degree negative on the right is more where I'd expect to see it.

that's why it pulls to that side, it will go to the side with the most positive camber and most negative caster.

Is your car a certified used one?

There's really only two things that would cause such a large deviation like what you're seeing. A bent lower control arm or a bent spindle.

Before you bought it the car may have had an encounter with a curb. I'd push for them to replace both. The knuckles on Hondas do bend fairly easily when hitting curbs. This is nothing you'd really be able to see, for where the camber and caster is reading.

The desired front camber is 0 degrees.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-16-2007, 12:26 PM
5th Gear

Have you tried rotating the tires?

Sometimes a tire will cause some strange things to happen with handling and ride.

It costs nothing but your time and it's worth a shot

Current cars:
2007 Accord VP Royal Blue/gray int. 4cyl automatic
2005 Acura MDX, no Navi, Gold Package, pearl white
frost, tan leather interior, Bose
1997 BMW Z-3, 1.9. 79,000 miles, Boston Green,
optional hard top
1997 Honda Accord, Red, SE 4 cyl, MINT, Original
80K (Son's car)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Fred the left side did take a good lick as the gash in wheel indicates
F Wide One of the first things I did was rotate tires to move the wheel with the gash to the rear.
You are probably right in saying I have a bent control arm, But how do you tell without throwing parts at it?
Car was not a certified used, The more I drive it the drift is not that bad but still bugs me. Wife of course doesn't even notice it!

2005 Accord EX-L V6
post #12 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Out of Control

you can buy an after market front camber kit so the camber angle is adjustable

2006 BMW 330i 6MT (Alpine White/Terra)
post #13 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJames View Post
Fred the left side did take a good lick as the gash in wheel indicates
F Wide One of the first things I did was rotate tires to move the wheel with the gash to the rear.
You are probably right in saying I have a bent control arm, But how do you tell without throwing parts at it?
Car was not a certified used, The more I drive it the drift is not that bad but still bugs me. Wife of course doesn't even notice it!
I'd carefully check the subframe where the control arm bolts, for distortion. If the '05s have the cast iron lower arms like my '04 does, they won't bend anywhere near as easy as the sheet metal will.

It is very hard to tell if the cast iron suspension parts have bent, unless they are REALLY tweaked. I've seen several older Civics with wildly positive camber after curb surfing and each time the knuckle was bent.

Also check the rear of the subframe where the alignment holes to the body are, does it look shifted to one side or the other or are they centered?
You could have pushed the whole subframe over to the right side, this would cause the camber to be + on the left and negative on the right.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM
My First Post

This is exactly what is going on with my '97 Accord. Is all this the same info with regards to the camber adjustment? I was told there is no adjustment except for adding an adjustable ball joint.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.