Seat Belt Problem - need help please. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Unhappy Seat Belt Problem - need help please.

Hi all,
My 94 Honda Wagon EX seat belt lock decided to stop working. I put the buckle in the slot but it won't lock down. Since my luck would cause me to be pulled over by the first cop I see for failure to wear my seatbelt, I tried to fix it myself tonight. Though I got the covers off and fixed the mechanism, I failed to get the cover back on before the mechanism shifted and a spring came loose and another plastic part came out in my hand.

So, my question is, can anyone point me to a manual or a site or someplace I can find out how it goes back together and if not, can I get advice as to how to replace the lock part of the seat belt system. It almost looks like it is part of my seat! Hope not.

Anyway, you all have been helpful in the past and I hope sharing my problem here will have good results again. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

'94 Accord EX Wagon, 4 Speed Automatic
Cashmere Silver Metallic/Ivory Interior
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-27-2007, 07:26 PM

I believe seatbelts are lifetime warranty and the dealer should replace it free. Since you took it apart, not sure how that will fly with them. I could be wrong though.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #3 of 17 Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6
I believe seatbelts are lifetime warranty and the dealer should replace it free. Since you took it apart, not sure how that will fly with them. I could be wrong though.
hmm, ya u might want to see if you can just put it back together as much as you can, take it to the delaer and see if they will replace it for you

2006 Accord SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIYS |-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-|-
-|
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 17 Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
I believe REPAIRING many parts of the seat belt is illegal..... it would need to be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf feb 06.pdf (929.1 KB, 360 views)
File Type: pdf 94 seat belt replacement.pdf (110.9 KB, 500 views)
File Type: pdf seat belt warranty.pdf (33.8 KB, 331 views)
post #5 of 17 Old 03-28-2007, 04:39 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
In my warranty booklet, it states the seatbelts have a lifetime warranty? Insight on that Anyone?
post #6 of 17 Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Seat Belt Problem - Thanks but need a bit more info please

Thank you all for your responses....guess next time I will come here first! LOL

Princess, since it is the buckle I am gonna need to replace.... can you send me the pages that the Seat Belt Removal pdf you sent me refers to for taking out the front seat (see page 20-86 & 20-87) on page 20-107. It states the front seat needs to be removed to get to the buckle.

Thanks.

( I think I will go throw up now! Wish I knew a good Honda mechanic/body guy in the Orlando area. Anyone know of any?)

post #7 of 17 Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
A another floridian on here, ItsaHonda might.

The seat is 4 bolts that are on VERY tight, I could never remove them without air tools, however you might be able to. .

Just slide the caps off the four 'legs' of the drivers seat (they might not be on each 'leg', so just remove whatever's covering the bolts. 2 wires you'll need to unplug as well, the power seat height, and the seat belt buckle cord, it tells the dash when your buckle is on or off.

Easy thing to do, takes 3 minuts with the proper tools, you could try a socket wrench though.

BTW - Welcome aboard fellow 5th Gen Owner .
post #8 of 17 Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
here you go
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 94 front seat removal.pdf (40.9 KB, 289 views)
File Type: pdf 94 front seat replacement.pdf (110.9 KB, 427 views)
post #9 of 17 Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear

I never needed air tools to remove those bolts. Taking out the seat is a pretty simple task. Just four bolts and two plugs.

Be careful not to scratch anything when pulling the seat out of the car. You'll have to angle it a bit to take it out.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-28-2007, 12:30 PM
6th Gear

PapillonOne, you have a PM

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #11 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Thumbs up Seat Belt Problem - solved - thanks!

Just thought I would provide a little update to my seat belt drama.

I had the chance to take the seat belt buckle parts and give it a good looking at. I sat and played with it like it was a puzzle figuring I had nothing left to lose, having already messed it up. Well, dang if I didn't fix it or at least get it so it works okay enough to reinstall. It apparently had a spring break, but luckily that spring is not completely necessary to the full operation of the buckle. I only have to push in the red latch when pushing in the belt the same way I have to push in the red latch when releasing the belt. Still if I ever decide to replace the buckle and strap, it will cost about $75. for the part and $25. per the labor per the Honda dealer's body shop. In the meantime, I think I would be able to get the whole part at the salvage yard for $25 and just replace the "innards" myself without having to remove the seat to get to the belt bolt. Yeah!

Thanks for all the advice .... I always learn something from you all and I appreciate it!!

post #12 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 01:55 PM
insomnia rules me :(

that is one thing that i would not risk and just get a new/used one and not try to fix it myself.

97 2.2 SE Honda Accord has 218k
things to do list: lets just say long right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcool
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make
post #13 of 17 Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear

Man,why do you go through all the troubles.Put it back on.Drive your car to the dealer.Tell them seat belt is not working.They will fix it for freeIt has life time waranty.No charge.Dealer fixed my 98 accord ex seat belt.

98 accord ex 150k vtech 4 banger
post #14 of 17 Old 04-10-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Angry Dealer claims it is not covered~

Actually, I did contact the dealer .... claimed they never heard of a lifetime warranty on a seatbelt before! If you read these boards, you probably are aware the dealers are often liars but what's a Honda Owner to do?!?

I got the pdf of the warranty now so when I have time (meaning when I can take time off of work to go there) I will do just like you said, but frankly NOT going to the dealer is often less stressful....JMHO.

post #15 of 17 Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear

Call Corporate Customer Service and file a complaint with the dealership.

(800) 999-1009

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.