DIY: How to install 08-10 EX-L autodimming (Automatic Day/Night) mirror in a 08-10 EX - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Cool DIY: How to install 08-10 EX-L autodimming (Automatic Day/Night) mirror in a 08-10 EX

I am looking to replace the standard mirror in my 2010 EX with a 2008-2010 factory EX-L autodimming mirror and need owners of 2008-2010 EX-L to confirm that is what is actually shown in the pictures. Thanks. I have been unable to find pictures on the Internet and the pictures shown at College Hills Honda are for a different mirror, the 2008-2010 EX aftermarket OEM mirror with compass (more squared, includes a compass, and much more $).

Based on what the seller is telling me about the EX-L they pulled the mirror from, there was no plug in the headboard, behind the map lights, as is shown in the College Hills Honda 2008-2010 EX aftermarket OEM mirror with compass, so they just cut the wires. As a result, I need to confirm the wiring (ground, 12v, etc.) if anyone knows that information or can point me to a source. I can certainly test the plug, but little confirmation from other sources is also good. Thanks.

Once the mirror is confirmed and subsequently installed, I'll provide pictures.

Scott C.

Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
8.5G V6 Bumper & Foglights / 8.5G Trunk Garnish / 8.5G Spoiler / 18" Wheels / Subwoofer & Amp / Body Side Moldings / Automatic Headlights / Focal Speakers x4 / Door sill trim (4) / Navi w/DVD, Bluetooth, Rear Sensors and Camera, & Honda XM fin / Leather seats & Heated fronts / Window tints (35/20) / Phone/MP3 holder / Rear Passenger 12v Outlet / Homelink / Auto Day/Night Mirror / Splash Guards & All Weather Mats / Trunk Tray
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott C. For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-09-2016), ksills (07-13-2014), Pezzer (05-28-2014)
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Smile

As a follow-up to my previous post, the following outlines the information I was seeking, as well as a detailed "How To" / DIY regarding installing a factory 2008-10 EX-L autodimming (Automatic Day/Night) mirror in a 2008-10 EX. This information is presented as an alternative to purchasing a Gentex or Honda autodimming mirror, as listed on the College Hills Honda site. In my case, I found a relatively inexpensive autodimming mirror from a wrecked 2010 EX-L.

Note and Disclaimer: The following information is provided "as-is" without any implied or express warranties or guarantees of any kind. You hereby agree using this information is AT YOUR OWN RISK and release me from any and all related claims. I have made efforts to ensure the information is accurate, but make no guarantees of any type about the accuracy, usability, or applicability of the information related to your vehicle or uses.

Using sources other than radio-pro.ru, I was able to confirm the previously posted pictures are of a 2008-10 (I don't know about 2011-13) Honda Accord EX-L factory mirror (wedge, Gentex-455). My understanding is the 2008-10 LX, LX-P, and EX models came with a non-dimming, camlock Donally brand mirror (my 2010 EX did). The EX model came with a plug-in connector in the headboard (near the center headboard console) for a dealer installed or aftermarket autodimming mirror, while the EX-L mirror was hardwired straight to the mirror (IE. no headboard plug-in connector). For a factory look, the wire cover ($4.00) and wire cover base (P/N: 76411-SDA-000, $11.77), sold as two separate pieces, can be purchased from College Hills Honda. Since the non-EX-L models came with a camlock mirror and the EX-L model (Gentex-455) came with a wedge, the camlock to wedge adapter kit (P/N: 50-901160M, $12.35) is required and available from College Hills Honda.

Note: Any reference in the following instructions to the "EX-L mirror" is the same as saying the "Honda factory Gentex-455 mirror included in 2008-10 EX-L models", and "headboard" is the same as "headliner".

*** Building The Wiring Adapter ***

Note: College Hills Honda does sell a wiring adapter as part of the Automatic Day/Night Attachment Kit (P/N: 08V03-TA0-100B, $75),
but it is meant for a different Gentex mirror and I do *NOT* know whether it will work with the EX-L mirror. If you find an
inexpensive EX-L mirror, can make the needed wiring adapter, and want a factory installed look, then a less expensive
alternative is to buy the aforementioned wire cover and wire cover base for about $20 shipped. Depending on the cost of
your mirror, the total installed cost may be less than 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of buying a new mirror and attachment kit.

While it is certainly possible to connect or solder the mirror wiring directly to the headboard plug-in connector wires, my recommendation is to create a wiring adapter due to it being as safe and reliable, and the difficulty of accessing the plug-in connector wiring without removing the headboard. As some of the old-time PC computer folks may notice in the following pictures, Honda used the same pinout (pin size and spacing) as was used by countless PC manufactures from the 80s-00s (a few still use them today). The PC manufacturers used these pins for Reset, Turbo, LEDs (Power, Turbo, HDD, etc.), Speaker, and the audio from the CD-ROM/CD-R drive. You may be asking yourself, "How does this help me?" The answer is this helps you build the required wiring harness, because the PC connectors will slide right into the Honda connectors (inside the connector and over/onto the pins). Since my EX-L mirror came with wiring connector for the back of the mirror, I did not test the above connector on my EX-L mirror, but I can confirm the pin spacing and size match the factory wiring connector, as described above, and will likely work. I did use this PC wiring connector to plug into the Honda connector plug in the headboard.

1) To make the wiring adapter, find an old PC with the above mentioned connectors (see the pictures). These connectors were typically found in two, three, and four pin connectors with two, three, or four wires. I recommend using a four pin connector, even with only three wires, since it fits more securely in the headboard connector (technically, you could use two 2-pin connectors side by side, but those may be harder to install). Different PC manufacturers used different size (gauge) wiring for the CD-ROM/CD-R audio, speaker, LEDs, etc., so choose the lowest gauge (fattest) of those. Typically, the CD-ROM/CD-R wiring gauge is wrong (too high) for this application, but not all as you will see in my case and pictures.
2) If you want to move pins/wiring around in the PC connectors or move wires between connectors, that is easily done by using a stick pin or needle to lift the plastic clip holding the pin in place. I moved the pins so the wire colors matched normal electrical standards (black for ground, red for 12v, etc.).
3) Depending on the PC you find the connectors in, the cabling may be too short to reach from the mirror to the headboard plug-in connector, so you may need to add wiring between the two PC connectors. Some PC "towers" had wiring that was 14" to 18" long.

Headboard Plug-in Connector Wiring (Four pin connector, only three pins are used):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 - Unused (no pin present)
2 - 12v Switched
3 - Back-up Light Circuit
4 - Ground

EX-L Mirror (Gentex-455) Plug-in Wiring (Seven pin connector, only three pins are used):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 - 12v Switched (brown wire, far left pin when looking at the back of the mirror)
2 - Ground (black with white stripe wire)
3 - Back-up Light Circuit (gray wire)
4-7 - Not used (pins are present)

<<<<< Continued in next post >>>>>

Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
8.5G V6 Bumper & Foglights / 8.5G Trunk Garnish / 8.5G Spoiler / 18" Wheels / Subwoofer & Amp / Body Side Moldings / Automatic Headlights / Focal Speakers x4 / Door sill trim (4) / Navi w/DVD, Bluetooth, Rear Sensors and Camera, & Honda XM fin / Leather seats & Heated fronts / Window tints (35/20) / Phone/MP3 holder / Rear Passenger 12v Outlet / Homelink / Auto Day/Night Mirror / Splash Guards & All Weather Mats / Trunk Tray
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott C. For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (12-09-2016), Pezzer (05-28-2014)
post #3 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Smile

<<<<< Continued from previous post >>>>>

*** Find The Headboard Plug-in Connector ***

1) The headboard central console, which contains the overhead lights, must be removed to access the headboard plug-in. The College Hills Honda aftermarket mirror instructions () explain this process, show the location of the headboard plug-in connector, and how to remove the driver and passenger visors. Be aware the actual location of the headboard plug-in connector may differ from the instructions, which shows it near the opening of the headboard central console rather than under the driver visor.
2) If your plug-in connector is above the driver visor, then both the driver and passenger visors must be removed to get to the headboard plug-in connector.
3) While removing the rearview mirror is not required to install the wiring, I do recommend it since it definitely gets in the way and you are replacing it anyway. The aforementioned College Hills Honda mirror instructions also show how to remove the factory mirror.
4) Your headboard plug-in connector is likely laying on its side, as shown in the pictures, and pin location one (1) will be at the top. You should not need to remove any of the protective wrap or foil tape to access the plug-in connector.
5) Depending on the wiring you choose to use, you may wish to provide additional protection of the wiring adapter by wrapping it with electrical tape, shrink tubing, or corrugated tubing (what Honda used). I recommend black, shrink tubing, available at most auto parts stores, for the section of the wiring adapter that will be visible near the mirror.
6) Once the wiring adapter is made, plug one end into the headboard plug-in connector and allow the other end to hang out of the top of the headboard near the mirror.

Note: If your chose to use the CD-ROM/CD-R connector, you may need to cut-off the top, locking portion of the connector since it
may prevent the connector from sliding all the way into the headboard plug-in connector (see the pictures). The top of the
wiring adapter connector, where the wires come out, should be flush with the top of the headboard plug-in connector.

*** Testing Your Work ***

1) Prior to plugging in the EX-L mirror for the first time, you need to verify your voltages and wiring adapter by using a multimeter (analog or digital). Measuring the 12v using pins one (1) and two (2) on the mirror side of the wiring adapter should show around 12v (positive if your multimeter leads are correct), give or take 0.5 volts. If you see anything else, then recheck your wiring adapter and installation in the headboard connector before proceeding.
2) Once your 12v is correct, it is time to test the mirror by plugging the wiring adapter into the back of the mirror (when looking at the back of the mirror, pin 1 is to the far left). You do not need to mount the mirror to perform this test and can either hold or set the mirror on the dash. Turning on the car ignition (do not start the engine) should turn on the EX-L mirror, as indicated by one or two green lights on the mirror side of the EX-L mirror and one on the back.
3) Depending on your current lighting conditions, you may be able to test the autodimming by shining a flashlight at the face of the EX-L mirror (it should turn greenish as it dims).
4) If the mirror is working, cable tie the wiring adapter to the existing headboard wiring harnesses to prevent the wiring adapter from moving, and then reinstall the sun visors and headboard central console.
5) Use additional cable ties to run the wiring harness along the existing central console wiring harnesses to assist with re-installation of the headboard central console.
6) Do not forget to center the wiring adapter to hang down right above the mirror and ensure the mirror plug-in connector will stretch about an inch or two past the existing camlock mechanism on the windshield.

<<<<< Continued in next post >>>>>
Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:

post #4 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Smile

<<<<< Continued from previous post >>>>>

*** Installing The Mirror ***

1) Remove the EX factory, camlock mirror if you have not already done so. The aforementioned College Hills Honda aftermarket mirror instructions show the process.
2) Install the camlock to wedge adapter kit, but do not attach the mirror.
3) Pulling the wiring adapter parallel with the windshield will show where the wire cover and base need to be installed. Push the wiring adapter to the side to get it out of the way for now.
4) The wire cover slides into the upper end of the camlock to wedge adapter, while the wire cover base does not. To ensure the wire cover base is installed correctly, I recommend attaching the wire cover and wire cover base together, remove the protective plastic from the back of the wire cover base that covers the glue, then sliding the wiring cover into the camlock to wedge adapter (it may be tight, but will slide in). Be careful and patient because the glue on the back of the wire base is very sticky and may not give you more than one chance to attach it to the windshield (IE. trying to remove the wire cover base may be difficult without breaking it). The College Hills Honda aftermarket mirror instructions discuss using a special glue to attach the wire cover base to the windshield, but that is likely out of date since my new wire cover base came with the sticky glue.
5) Remove the wire cover from the base and insert the wiring adapter into the wire cover base slots. The wiring adapter should stick out of the bottom of the wire cover base and over the camlock to wedge adapter.
6) Reinstall the wire cover onto the wire cover base
7) Install the EX-L mirror on the camlock to wedge adapter, and screw in the single screw to secure the mirror.
8) Plug the wiring adapter into the EX-L mirror and retest the mirror by turning on the car ignition (do not start the engine) as previously described.
9) Enjoy your autodimming mirror.

*** Final Thoughts ***

Overall, I am pleased with the price and appearance of the installed EX-L mirror. My only concerns are related to the camlock to wedge adapter being bigger than the original camlock connector on the back of the factory LX, LX-P, and EX mirror, and that the camlock to wedge kit did not come with instructions (Google found them on another Honda parts site).

Happy and Safe Driving!

Scott C. February 6, 2013
Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #5 of 15 Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 AM
5th Gear

Great write-up! Does anyone know if the Coupe EX-L i4 comes with the harness in the headboard?

2011 Accord Coupe I4 EX-L CBP
post #6 of 15 Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Good question. You should be able to look without too trouble (just remove the two sun visors).

Scott C.

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #7 of 15 Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

On second thought, does your 8th gen EX-L coupe not already have a factory autodimming mirror? I thought all EX-L sedans and couples came with mostly the same equipment.

BTW, as a correction to my original instruction above, I state there should be a green light on the back side (facing the windfield) of the mirror. That is not correct, as least on my mirror.

Scott C.

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #8 of 15 Old 05-28-2014, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

I just bought a mirror the same as yours from the wreckers too, pretty much looking to do the same fit that you have done. Wish me luck!! Thanks for taking the time to post this info and the photo's too.

I am fitting to a 2013 Accord Vti. I shall post feedback if I discover any variations during my fit!!.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-01-2014, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

So, it was the easiest job ever. Literally only 2 wires. Quoted $350 supply and fit by dealer. Purchased s/h from wrecker for $40. Fitted in around 30mins. Worth a try even if you have to run the wires from fuse box as I did. Thanks to the OP for giving me the confidence to give it a go.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzer View Post
So, it was the easiest job ever. Literally only 2 wires. Quoted $350 supply and fit by dealer. Purchased s/h from wrecker for $40. Fitted in around 30mins. Worth a try even if you have to run the wires from fuse box as I did. Thanks to the OP for giving me the confidence to give it a go.
I am glad it was helpful, Pezzer.

For others looking to put the autodimming mirror in a 9th gen, please elaborate on the two wires, their positions, details about the wiring in the headliner, differences in the mirror and it's respective wiring, etc. Pics are good too. Thanks.

Scott C.

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #11 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Wisdom Born of Age

Scott,
Will the LX/LX-P have the same headliner wireing?

2008 Honda Accord LX-P Sedan Taffeta White
  • XB35 4500K Morimoto HID
  • Morimoto H1 Retrofit
  • Ultra Racing Upper Strut Bar
  • TSX Rear Sway Bar
  • Spyder LED Tail Light w/Tubes
  • PUTCO LED Dome Light Kit
  • Chrome grill overlay
  • Odyssey Lower Grill
  • Stainless steel door sills
  • Crosstour Leather Shift Knob
  • EX-L "Wood" Interior
  • Llumar High Performance 35% Tint
  • Rear Lip

Squirrels ...............nature's speed bump
post #12 of 15 Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksills View Post
Scott,
Will the LX/LX-P have the same headliner wireing?
Unfortunately, it will not. My understanding is that was only available in the EX series. That being said, it is only three wires (two of which are ground and 12v), so those can easily be tapped from the fusebox.

There is a recent thread were folks are talking about adding various mirrors in various cars using where power comes from the fusebox. IIRC, there is also some discussion about where to get the connectors to make the install look cleaner.

Scott C.

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #13 of 15 Old 05-30-2016, 12:26 PM
now i just need a CBR1000

awesome write up

Thanks! i was thinking about doing this!

post #14 of 15 Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 AM
6th Gear

Silly question, so this auto dim mirror has to be plugged in for it to function on my EX-L?

Didn't know the dimming was electronically controlled. I thought it was just the type of mirror used, haha.

2011 Accord Coupe I4 5 A/T
post #15 of 15 Old 01-04-2017, 12:57 PM
5th Gear

Yes, the auto dimming mirrors require power to operate. Standard wires provided in 8th gen EX wiring harness are power (on with ignition), ground, and reverse (turns off dimming when backing up). If you buy a mirror with Homelink you need to tap an additional wire for constant power.

2011 V6 2dr BB w/Nav
Advertisement

Tags
autodimming, installation, mirror, wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.