DIY: Drivers side door lock actuator replacement, 7th gen sedan - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 05-05-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Post DIY: Drivers side door lock actuator replacement, 7th gen sedan

You know the story... door lock on my 2005 LX sedan died; would not lock or unlock anymore but it just wiggled. Got the new actuator part from Rockauto for ~$22 shipped and went to work...

Here is how to do this. It is more pain in the a** than it being "hard", namely because all of those parts (and how they move) are pretty unfamiliar. Lots of levers, cables and cramped spaces.

Remember: EASY DOES IT. You do not want to bend/break any hooks, latches or cables, and there will be plenty. If you have no patience, might be worth it to take it to the shop. Just saying...

1. Take the door panel off; DIY for that here. I did not take the switches out, but disconnected them from the back myself.

2. When the panel is off this is how it all looks like:

Note that the window needs to be UP at this point!

3. I simply pulled off the moisture barrier slowly, shoving the black sealant back with a stick of wood. Watch it, this stuff is super sticky and is PITA to wash off your skin, likely impossible from clothes. Just take your time and do it slow. I did not warm it up beforehand, it was gooey enough anyway (~80 degree weather):

I pulled it off about this much and then taped it down with some masking tape. Watch those sticky edges! Hair hazard!

4. Now, the part that we need to replace is out of sight (of course) - I am holding it in this photo; the whole latch assembly needs to come out! Start by unscrewing this:

This holds the window left rail, where the window slides into the door. I left the rail in but loose at the bottom, it gave me enough space to work.

5. Unscrew the following 3 screws:

6. Unscrew this screw and unhook two black plastic latches as shown:

7. Unhook two electrical connectors from the actuator; note where the arrow is; this is a little tab that you need to press in the direction of the arrow and then pull out the connector. Not easy as it is a bit cramped.

8. Unscrew the driver's side door lock thingy (I am sure it has a proper name):

9. Now it gets tricky; there are two rods connected to the part you need to take off; Princess posted a PDF in this thread that holds the key for how this needs to be done, here is a relevant part:

Now, I thought that one of rods was easier to unhook from the latch side and the other from the handle so this is what I'll show. The first rod, from the latch side:

Black clip needs to be rotated like so and then the rod comes right out in the direction of the arrow.

You end up with this:

Now for the second rod, pop out the plastic off the little maintenance window here:

Now, it is tricky to see but there is a green plastic clip that needs to be unhooked by rotating it in the direction of the arrow and then the rod comes right out, toward you:

(see the above illustration that helps here I think)

10. After you did that... freedom! Navigate the latch out:

11. This is what you got out; a few shots for reference; we need to take it apart:

12. To start taking it apart, unscrew the only visible screw on it:

13. Then slide the cable which was in the black bracket out of it, so you can have slack when you open the latch assembly:

14. Now, I pushed the metal piece sticking out of the plastic, which sort of separated the two pieces as we need them to be. You can use small pliers or something to do this:

15. It comes apart; one side (for reference):

And the other (where I need you to notice stuff):

- unscrew the circled small screw
- you will need to undo the hooked cable, and pop the pink cable bracket off once you take the actuator off
- note the position of the actuator "hand", as noted by one of the arrows
- also note that the actuator is "flush" with the metal piece of the latch assembly; important to note, when you put the new actuator on!

Essentially, once the screw is off, it all kind of comes apart and you can replace the actuator, moving the pink clip between the parts:

That is in fact all; at this point, it is all about putting it back together, as they say "in reverse order".

Double-check all of the connections, screws and electrical plugs. Don't forget to connect the driver inside door handle cable and all. Then test it. Hopefully it all works!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
03EXL2ndOwner (03-02-2016), 04CruznOC (08-20-2014), Hokiedad4 (04-19-2015), mykelefty (11-07-2013), neversaysnojoe (07-12-2014), p_chi (08-25-2014), spiritof76 (12-24-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Good job. When most people decide to change their own actuator for the first time, I'm sure they have no idea what they are getting themselves into. This could help a lot of owners.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #3 of 38 Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 AM
2006 I4 MT

Nice write up! I have this part in the box still waiting to install. I do not look forward to doing it

I wonder if the taking a blow dryer or heat gun to step 3 would help with getting that plastic barrier off.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT

post #4 of 38 Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Good job. When most people decide to change their own actuator for the first time, I'm sure they have no idea what they are getting themselves into. This could help a lot of owners.
Yeah, like me yesterday morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006accord4 View Post
I wonder if the taking a blow dryer or heat gun to step 3 would help with getting that plastic barrier off.
Honestly, I feel it will get too sticky if you do that; as it was, the black substance was sort of stringy, and would string out like cheese on a pizza for about 2-3 inches at times. I think if you heat it up, it will be too much as it will be super-stringy. It was not a hard/difficult part, just need to be careful not to make a mess.
post #5 of 38 Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Subscribed because eventually I will need this. Nice write up!

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #6 of 38 Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

this should be a sticky. I used this write up this past morning. It guided me every step of the way. Thanks a million.
post #7 of 38 Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 PM
2006 I4 MT

I finally got around to doing this. These photos really helped! I already knew what was in store from this thread and from videos on youtube.

I did break off a few of the door panel clips. Had to run out to the Honda stealership to buy some replacements at $1.70 each. It's probably a good idea to order a pack off of ebay before hand.

post #8 of 38 Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM
veesix

I'm having this problem with my driver door and back passenger...which is really inconvenient when they stop working at the same time cuz I have to keep making circles around my car. Just bought a left and right one from rock auto like you did and I'll be using your write up when they come in.

Thanks!
Pants
post #9 of 38 Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM
veesix

I just installed my new actuators today (front driver and rear passenger) from rockauto. Everything seemed to be working fine, but when I am in my locked, running car, if I unlock the door, open it, then shut it, it will make the noise like it's unlocking two times, then lock the doors. Doesn't seem too bad, but if I leave my key in and run out of my car to do something, if I close my door, I am locked out...also, if I were to manually push down that little lock thingy on the driver side, all doors used to lock, but not anymore. Any suggestions?
post #10 of 38 Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
veesix

never mind...fixed it
post #11 of 38 Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
2006 I4 MT

You probably didn't push the connectors all the way in, right?

post #12 of 38 Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
veesix

Yeah....haha
post #13 of 38 Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM
veesix

746366 for Right side and 746367 for left on Rockauto
post #14 of 38 Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM
veesix

I'd assume you have a sedan because you specified it was your front drivers side, but if it's a coupe, they have different numbers...the driver side one was not too fun D: the passenger rear was easy though..took like 10 minutes with distractions
post #15 of 38 Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM
5th Gear

Today I replaced the driver side actuator following the instructions here. Wow! what a wonderful guide. It definitely saved a lot of my time. Thanks!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.