DIY: Replace the seal around your sunroof 7th Gen - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

DIY: Replace the seal around your sunroof 7th Gen

Recently, I posted a thread in the 7th Generation telling my story of the dumb crook that tried to break into my Accord by slicing into the sunroof. The dillhole must not be too bright if he thought he could pry the roof out. Thankfully, he was not successful and did not damage the glass or the body of the car. Just a 5 inch gash into the seal.

I ordered the replacement seal from Bernardi Parts. Far cheaper than my local Honda dealer's $83 price. Even the Honda eStore didn't have a good discounted price on that particular item.

The part number is 70205-SDN-A01 for the Coupe at $53.68 and 70205-SDA-A01 for the Sedan at $64.97. The same part numbers are used for 2003-2007. So if you need to replace the seal, just enter the part number on any Honda parts site. According to the parts sites, if you have to replace the glass, the seal is already included. Thankfully I did not have to drop $350 to replace the glass when only the seal was damaged.

I contacted my local dealer to get an verbal estimate on the repair. They don't even do glass work. They tell you to order the part and call a mobile glass vendor. He called one and quoted $80-$120 for labor to replace the seal. I figured I would do the job myself since I had to order the part myself.

Replacing the seal is easy to do. The seal is a tongue-in-groove design so you just pull the old seal off the glass and install the new seal by pushing the tongue into the groove of the glass panel, and work your way around the glass. The coupe is easy. There are four torx T25 screws under the rubber trim flaps. Two on each side. Remove them and lift the glass up out of the roof. The sedan is a little more involved, so I included the service manual.

On the coupe, here are the screw locations, same on both sides. Remove the 4 torx screws and the glass lifts out of the roof:

Glass removed, damaged seal location highlighted:

New seal on top of the roof. Notice the special marking on the front center of the roof. There is an indentation in the seal to mark the front center of the glass. Start from that point and work your way around the glass on each side and around the back:

Here is the roof with the old seal removed. You can see the groove that the seal will attach to:

As you work your way around the glass, push the tongue into the groove with your thumb. It doesn't take any effort to push it into the groove. Start at the front of the glass with the special mark in the seal and work your way to each corner, then around the sides of the glass. As you work towards the back of the glass, it may appear that the seal is too long. What you need to do at that point is to start to gently push the seal back around towards the front from both sides. As you even it out around the glass it will form perfectly around the glass and you can push the remaining seal into the groove. Then go around the entire glass to make sure the tongue is sealed into the groove.

Here is the new seal installed on the glass:

Here is the glass reinstalled in the roof. On the coupe, height adjustment is required. Service manual doesn't mention if the same adjustment is needed on the sedan. You need to raise the glass with your hand so it is +/- 1mm even with the roof line. Then tighten the torx screws. So having a friend is helpful to hold the glass in place. On the coupe, it is also recommended to use liquid thread lock. Don't get the permanent thread lock. Home Depot sells a tube of it. It prevents the screws from coming loose from vibration. Make sure you follow the directions as you must avoid skin contact. Home Depot also sells a ratcheting screwdriver with Torx and Hex bits.

So it cost me about $85 for the seal, torx screwdriver, and liquid thread lock. If I ordered the seal from the dealer at $83, with their quoted $80-$120 for labor, I would have been out almost $200. If the seal is damaged around your sunroof, this is an easy job to do on your own.

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
4th Gear

thanks for the instruction. Bookmarked

2003 EX V6 Coupe
post #3 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM
KCK

nice job, and thanks for the instruction. its still hard to believe a theif would try to pry out the glass on a moon roof.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 PM
JMD
My First Post

Thanks for the post!!!

Used your instructions to replace the seal on my '04 Accord 4-door. Your pics certainly helped and the copy of the service manual was a nice touch! Was able to do the job on my own in less than 2hrs. I picked my seal up from Bernardi (thanks for the tip!) for $53 + $13 for shipping, part number 70205-SDC-A01. I already had the all the tools and loc-tite so total cost was $66. By way of comparison, my dealer quoted $89 for the part and $99 for the labor.

Notable mentions for proceedure on my 4-door:
1. rail covers were slightly different, but still pretty straight forward to remove.
2. Three t-25 torx screws on each rail instead of two (just like your service manual says).
3. Yes, I had to manually align the glass to the +/- 1mm just like you did. Still, this was very easy even on my own.

BTW, the damage on my seal seem nearly identical to yours. I'm pretty sure it's simply due to weathering and/or the elements, not a would be thief.

Thanks again Hillstones! You da man!

post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
My First Post

I can´t see the photos, i have the same problem in my accord. Can someone send it to me ?
post #6 of 10 Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

Photos are indeed broken, but this repair was about as easy and straightforward as they get. Get a Torx T25 driver, I also use a magnetic wand which helps me fish screws and not lose them. Figure out the correct alignment according to the Honda instructions, and then the tedious part of pressing in everything, again working according to the instructions.
As I was approaching the last few inches of gasket it looked as if it's too loose/long and I'll have excess, but you pop it all in and automagically it fit just right.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Is it absolutely necessary to remove the glass? Can I remove and reinstall the seal in place. Can someone share their experience.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety562 View Post
Is it absolutely necessary to remove the glass? Can I remove and reinstall the seal in place. Can someone share their experience.
Yes, in order to get a proper seal from the rubber you have to take off the glass.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmaccord For This Useful Post:
tweety562 (11-18-2014)
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Thanks JM
post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM
My First Post

70205-SDA-A01 part doesn't seem like it will fit?

We have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe and ordered 70205-SDA-A01 but it doesn't look anything like what is around the glass right now.

The original piece (seal) measures about 89 3/4" and the 70205-SDA-A01 measures over 96". Plus the original piece hugs both sides of the glass, and the 70205-SDA-A01 looks like it fits in a groove and only would only cover the top of the glass.

Are we missing something?

This is the what the original seal looks like when we began to remove it.

(It was already cut, not sure if that's how they come or if the previous owner tried to replace/fix it.)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.