When I purchased my 04 LX back in May with 42K, it was CPO, so the fluids, filters and brakes had been changed. Now I have 46K on her and I decided that it was time to switch to Mobil1 and change the ATF. And while I was at it, I wanted to do a Seafoam treatment, clean the MAF and replace the plugs.
I grabbed several filters and 3 quarts of ATF at my local Honda dealer. NAPA has the NGKs for $13 each and PepBoys supplied the Seafoam and a set of Rhino Ramps on sale for $26! WalMart is the best place for Mobil1 in the 5 quart bottle.
First up was the Seafoam.
Poor 1/3 of the bottle in the fuel tank, 1/3 in the crankcase and the final 1/3 will be s*ucked through the intake. Be ready to change the oil after.
I used this hose for the intake.
Be sure the car is running and slowly
poor it in. If you poor it too fast, it will stall! Once it is all s*ucked up, turn off the motor and wait 5-8 mins.
Now fire her up and go for a spirited 15 min drive. Normally you’ll get a smoke show and think that you're 007 with a smoke screen. But this wasn’t the case for my Honda. No smoke whatsoever.
Next I decided to change the plugs. The plugs were pre-gapped in the box to the .44. I use the hood prop hole closest to the cowl which allows me more space.
Remove the plastic cover on top of the motor (one behind the oil fill) by removing the 4 10mm bolts. You can now see the coils. You’ll need to remove two more 10mm bolts securing the coils.
Using a standard 5/8 spark plug socket, remove the four plugs. I found them to be a bit worn, but not too bad. Doesn’t hurt to replace them.
Install the new plus being careful not to cross thread them. Then tighten to 13 ft lb of torque. Reinstall the coils, and then secure the 1st and 3rd coil with the 10mm bolt. Replace the cover and secure it with the remaining four 10mm bolts.
Next I decided to clean the MAF. I use CRC MAF Cleaner which can be found at any auto part store.
Remove the two phillip head screws and detach the wire harness.
Be careful when working with the MAF as not to drop or bang it as the wire sensors are delicate. Lay it on a shop towel and spray 12-15 spurts of the cleaner on the wire sensors as shown.
Let it dry for a few minutes, and then reinstall it. Start and check for operation.
I then moved onto the fluid changes. Since there are already DIYs for this, I will not elaborate. I will however state that the owners manual says 4.6 quart oil capacity, but I used the entire 5 quarts and had room for more.
DIY ATF Change Drain and Fill