Seafoam, clean MAF and new fluids - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #46 of 118 Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Many Accords...Many Miles

This is tempting but I'm very wary of doing this to mine at 187k miles...fearing opening up leaks and realizing other fears a bit.

99 Accord EX Sedan 4 cyl, Black, 187K+ miles semi-retired
92 Accord LX Coupe 4 cyl, Charcoal Gray, Sold 187K miles
85 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Sold with 198K miles
84 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Totaled with 18K miles

08 Honda Element EX 4WD, Silver, 104k Miles
01 Isuzu Trooper 4wd V6, Gray, Traded at 125k miles
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd Ltd, V8, Taupe, Sold 148K miles
75 Jeep CJ5 4x4, Straight 6, White, Sold with ? miles
Advertisement

post #47 of 118 Old 09-27-2010, 01:23 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
This is tempting but I'm very wary of doing this to mine at 187k miles...fearing opening up leaks and realizing other fears a bit.
Just did it for the first time ever on my '05 with 113k on it. It threw a gang of white smoke but it was one the greatest things I ever did to my engine. Im planning on doing this every 6 months. The car performs beautifully now!

2005 Accord EX I-4 AUTO SEDAN.
2015 Accord Sport I-4 CVT (Bought with 5 miles yay me)
post #48 of 118 Old 10-01-2010, 05:22 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
I'm not sure I would do it on that high of a mileage engine. At that point some of the sludge can actually be holding together and preventing leaks and you'll have leaks you didn't have before. This is not true on every car, just on some. Normally you do get a bunch of white smoke, the less smoke the cleaner your engine is generally. But if you don't touch your engine with seafoam before like 125k I wouldn't start but thats just my opinion. If you've never had a problem and it 180k why change things now?

As far as oil in the crankcase, there is a common misconception that the oil has to be changed right after. It does not. Obviously you should not leave in it there for like 5,000 miles. But I have spoke directly with the company and there is no problem with leaving in the crankcase for a couple hundred or close to 1,000 miles, just gives it longer to work its magic.

post #49 of 118 Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
my car had 175k when i did it a few months back. no leaks or anything occurred and the sputtering between 40MPH to 75MPH my car was experiencing went away

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
post #50 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

seafoam placement

Is the shown hose in this DIY the correct hose? And if possible could someone take a picture of where I could inject the seafoam into the car by the pcv valve? Thank you
post #51 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM
4th Gear

The pcv valve is the hose. The rest of it goes in the gas tank and/or oil.

2005 Accord 2.4 5-speed coupe *graphite pearl*
post #52 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 AM
5th Gear

I cant believe directly pouring Seafoam in our engines is a forum sticky. Read the links and quotes below, and then decide if you want to pour this stuff into your cylinders creating an extreme rich condition and likely sending unburt "cleaner" out the exhaust.

Using this stuff, in this mannor, should only be done when all else fails. Try to fix it right the first time...if you even have a problem to begin with!?!?!

"...alter your air/fuel mixture, it can kill your catalytic converter. If the mix is too lean, the converter won't have the right elements to clean the exhaust. Too rich and the converter will heat up to the point of melting, and trying to push exhaust through a solid block is tough. If your car burns oil or leaks coolant into the engine, these contaminants can collect on the ceramics inside the converter and cause it to clog.

"Any additives or malfunctions that cause the mixture or the temperature of the exhaust gases to change reduce the effectiveness and life of the catalytic converter."

And if I recall correctly, you guys running V6's have 3 CATS, not just one!
post #53 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 AM
4th Gear

Then how come soooo many people have used it with no negative results and no cat problems?....

post #54 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmac9128 View Post
Then how come soooo many people have used it with no negative results and no cat problems?....
How do you know they dont! And if they did down the road, would you think one would blame the Seafoam treatment they did? Probably not.

And where's the real "proof" it does any good, other than peoples opinion?

Where's the backing of any OEM engine manufacture out there? All I ever read is OEM's and oil manufactures alike, stating NOT to use additives and internal engine cleaners.

Look, I'm not saying it WILL ruin your CAT, I'm saying the risks out weigh the benefits of this type of "internal engine cleaner". As far as all internal engine cleaners go (not just Seafoam) use them as a last resort IMO.

Added to a tank of gas...no big deal.
Poured into the intake or crankcase...a big deal.
post #55 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM
4th Gear

Post up some evidence then. Post a specific seafoam cat related problem. I've used it before on multiple cars and never had one cat problem, actually the one car I never used it on had a cat problem. I'm not saying its a miracle in a can.

post #56 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Post up some evidence then. Post a specific seafoam cat related problem. I've used it before on multiple cars and never had one cat problem, actually the one car I never used it on had a cat problem. I'm not saying its a miracle in a can.
The debate goes both ways. Prove it works. Prove it doesn’t.

The only real fact is that its not recommended by any manufacture and doesn’t have ANY approvals.

Other facts include what CAN/COULD happen. I posted a single possibility, CAT damage. There's a lot more that "could" occur than just that single example. I call them risks.

Proof that it works is all speculation like "cleans the ring packs", "restored lost power", "run smoother". Nothing but seat of the pants opinion. No one is doing before and after engine tear downs and for some reason no one has posted dyno results of before and after use either. .

And try this example. What if by chance you are actually helping your car run better by using these products, but shortening the life of your car doing so? Like taking a drug that prevent heart attacks, but you will die at 65 if you take it.

Your car. Your money. Your choice. I'm just pointing out my experience and what I've learned about these type of products over the years.
post #57 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
And if I recall correctly, you guys running V6's have 3 CATS, not just one!
actually, we have just one. don't confuse the cat for the resonators

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

post #58 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
The debate goes both ways. Prove it works. Prove it doesn’t.

The only real fact is that its not recommended by any manufacture and doesn’t have ANY approvals.

Other facts include what CAN/COULD happen. I posted a single possibility, CAT damage. There's a lot more that "could" occur than just that single example. I call them risks.

Proof that it works is all speculation like "cleans the ring packs", "restored lost power", "run smoother". Nothing but seat of the pants opinion. No one is doing before and after engine tear downs and for some reason no one has posted dyno results of before and after use either. .

And try this example. What if by chance you are actually helping your car run better by using these products, but shortening the life of your car doing so? Like taking a drug that prevent heart attacks, but you will die at 65 if you take it.

Your car. Your money. Your choice. I'm just pointing out my experience and what I've learned about these type of products over the years.
No shit because no one wants to pay to tear an engine down or over $100 for dyno results when they're just trying to do "maintenance".

Check the bottom link. Obviously they don't have pictures there to back it up, just saying. Oh and they offer a 100% safe guarantee for internal combustion engines. Like I said, I can't prove it works. Personally, I have not had one bad experience with it like I said and as stated the only car I've owned I didn't seafoam ended up with cat problems haha. And can you share your personal experience please. Have you used it, what results did you have? Just curious since your such a hater.

post #59 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
5th Gear

Seafoam FAQ's? Really???? Come on....
post #60 of 118 Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
No shit because no one wants to pay to tear an engine down or over $100 for dyno results when they're just trying to do "maintenance".

Check the bottom link. Obviously they don't have pictures there to back it up, just saying. Oh and they offer a 100% safe guarantee for internal combustion engines. Like I said, I can't prove it works. Personally, I have not had one bad experience with it like I said and as stated the only car I've owned I didn't seafoam ended up with cat problems haha. And can you share your personal experience please. Have you used it, what results did you have? Just curious since your such a hater.
I tried it. And if this is what fixed my car's sputtering, then it worked, lol. If the sputtering corrected itself, which btw is illogical as something that is self correcting will come back, lol.

Quote:
Seafoam FAQ's? Really???? Come on....
i haven't read anything since I last posted in this thread (not counting my post from earlier today), so i'm going to ask. Have you tried to seafoam your car? if you haven't, you should at least try it once.

you're arguing both ways so, if your argument holds true about the CAT getting clogged up and stuff, then one treatment isn't going to kill the CAT - repeated close interval treatments will.

like i said, just try it once, see what your car feels like after wards, and let us know

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.