How-To: Replace 7G (03-07) Brake Light Switch - Drive Accord Honda Forums |
  • 1 Post By DreaminAccord
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
I <3 My Honda

How-To: Replace 7G (03-07) Brake Light Switch

DISCLAIMER: This tutorial is being written as a guide and in no shape or form do I hold liability for any damage you cause to your vehicle by attempting this procedure individually and not by a professional, certified mechanic.

HOW-TO: Remove and Replace a 7th Generation (2003-2007) Honda Accord Brake Light Switch (BLS)

Possible Symptoms of Failure:
-- No brake light illumination upon depression of the brake pedal
-- Continuous brake light illumination after car is shutdown and ignition is OFF
-- Steady /!\TCS ('03-05) or /!\VSA ('06-07) illumination (TCS/VSA will blink when the system is actively assisting the vehicle to gain stability. Steady illumination is indicative of an issue with either the module or in my case the BLS)

I started seeing my /!\VSA light come on in a steady state for no apparent reason. After searching around on the forums, I came to the conclusion that the brake light switch (which is known to fail) must have went bad / was malfunctioning, even though I still had fully functioning brake lights!

1) Start by removing the steering wheel column panel and under grommet by carefully pulling and releasing the tabs to gain access to the brake light switch.
** Remove 1 Philips screw (bottom left of steering wheel panel) first **

2) Switch location - directly above brake pedal

3) Brake pedal in full resting position:

(If you look closely, you can see a little piece of the white that is still sticking out on my old switch, even with the brake pedal at full resting position)

4) Brake pedal being depressed:

(In this pic, you can see the bluish-purple plate that engages/disengages the switch as the brake actuator moves forward/backward)

beardohio likes this.

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 07/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DreaminAccord For This Useful Post:
algarci2 (03-11-2015), beardohio (10-02-2015), jimijam (03-01-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.