Installing the Honda XM (satellite) Radio “Shark Fin” Antenna - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Smile Installing the Honda XM (satellite) Radio “Shark Fin” Antenna

Installing the Honda XM (satellite) Radio “Shark Fin” Antenna
Scott C. - Copyright - January 2014

The following documents the installation of the Honda XM (satellite) radio “shark fin” antenna on 8th gen (2008 – 2010) Honda Accord sedan.

Notes and Disclaimer:
The following information is provided "as-is" without any implied or express warranties or guarantees of any kind. You hereby agree using this information is AT YOUR OWN RISK and release me from any and all related claims. I have made efforts to ensure the information is accurate, but make no guarantees of any type about the accuracy, usability, or applicability of the information related to your vehicle or uses.

Sirius and XM are now the same company and I do not know if their current satellite radio antennas are compatible with both services. During the following instructions I assume you are using dedicated XM or Sirius satellite radio antennas. To my knowledge, the 8th gen Honda XM radio antenna is XM radio specific. Later pictures show the antenna electronics from both XM and Sirius antennas.

There are a number of reasons to install a Honda XM radio shark fin antenna, including cosmetics, a sporty or high-end model look, or to listen to XM radio. In my case, I wanted to listen to satellite radio. My documentation assumes you already have the necessary satellite radio equipment and only need the shark fin antenna.

Step 1:
Purchase the Honda XM radio shark fin from your local Honda dealership or on-line Honda parts dealer (around $25.00 U.S.) The part number is 39150-TA0-A21ZD (the last digit determines the color – D is for taffeta white). When ordering the Honda antenna check if the Honda specific nut (part number 39153-TAO-A01) is included (it was not for me and costs an additional $4.50). The nut is not a typical nut and includes an additional “lock-down” mechanism. It is larger and NOT the same size as a coaxial cable connector.

Step 2:
If desired, convert the Honda XM radio antenna to Sirius by following the instructions in the “Convert from XM to Sirius” below. Otherwise, skip to Step 3.

Step 3:
Measure across the roof, a few inches from the back window, from the driver's side to the passenger's side (or vice-versa) to determine the roof width, then divide by two to get the center of the roof. Mark this location on the roof with a marker that is easily removed.
Using this mark, measure 2 1/16th inches from the rear of the sheet metal on the top, where it meets the gasket to the rear window. Again, mark this location since it is where the very bottom of the Honda antenna will sit on the roof.
Measure the distance from the bottom (pointed end) of the Honda antenna to the rectangular metal post where the wire comes out of the antenna (denoted as “Line 1” in the picture). Using this measurement, measure from the mark you made on the roof for the bottom of the Honda antenna. This will be the bottom of the rectangular hole. Now, measure the distance from the bottom of the rectangular hole to the top of square area that surrounds the round, coaxial looking connector (denoted as “Line 2” in the picture). This will be the top of the rectangular hole.
< continued in next post >

Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
8.5G V6 Bumper & Foglights / 8.5G Trunk Garnish / 8.5G Spoiler / 18" Wheels / Subwoofer & Amp / Body Side Moldings / Automatic Headlights / Focal Speakers x4 / Door sill trim (4) / Navi w/DVD, Bluetooth, Rear Sensors and Camera, & Honda XM fin / Leather seats & Heated fronts / Window tints (35/20) / Phone/MP3 holder / Rear Passenger 12v Outlet / Homelink / Auto Day/Night Mirror / Splash Guards & All Weather Mats / Trunk Tray
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

< Continued from Step 3 >
Measure the width of the rectangular, metal post where the wire comes out. This should be similar to the square area that surround the round coaxial looking corrector, but take the wider of the two measurements and that is how wide the rectangular cut will be in the roof. Drawing this on the roof should produce a result similar to the picture shown below.
Step 4:
Remove the car ceiling liner or the rear, backseat ceiling light fixture, near the back window. I chose to the do the later and found I had few issues accessing the bottom of the antenna through the light fixture hole once the Honda antenna was mounted. The power cable will disconnect from the back of the light fixture.

Note: I recommend covering your backseats with a blanket or towel and having a vacuum with a small hose to suck-up the metal shavings from drilling the roof.

Step 5:
Note: This is the point where you need to decide if you would rather cut a rectangular hole in the roof or a smaller, square hold. As you will see in my pictures, I chose the single square hole due to several factors, including the ease of cutting it vs the larger, rectangular hole. Understand to use the square hole means you will have to cut (and later reattach) and remove the wire coming out of the rectangular, metal hole on the Honda antenna. It also means that rectangular metal hole must be removed from Honda antenna. This is shown in the following pictures.

Using a drill, small bit, step-bit, hand file (that will fit in the hole), and rotozip type tool you should be able to cut one or multiple pilot holes, depending on whether you want the square or rectangular hole. Either way, start with the small bit to make the initial hole, then move to the step-bit to incrementally increase the size of the hole. Once the hole is the correct size use the file or rotozip type tool to square it as my pictures show. Use the Honda antenna to test your work. Once correct it should slide in the hole, but have virtually no play in any direction.

CAUTION! - DO NOT PUT MUCH PRESSURE ON THE DRILL OR RISK DENTING THE ROOF!
Honda used thin sheet metal for the roof, so a very slight amount of “dimpling” is expected around the hole, but if you push too much then the roof will dent. My pictures show this slight dimpling and notice the antenna more than covers it.

Step 6:
Whatever satellite antenna cable will connect to the antenna needs to be run now. I ran my cable through the bottom of the passenger door sills, up the rear passenger side-wall, then up the pillar and tucked it into the headliner from the rear window side (be careful of the airbags!). I recommend connecting the antenna wire before screwing down the antenna in Step 9 due to easier access to the antenna connector.

Step 7:
While the Honda manual and graphic does not show any sealant being used in or around the rectangular hole (what you just cut), I recommend placing a bead around the bottom of the antenna. This will act as an additional layer of water protection should water get past the Honda rubber on the bottom of the antenna.

< Continued >

Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
8.5G V6 Bumper & Foglights / 8.5G Trunk Garnish / 8.5G Spoiler / 18" Wheels / Subwoofer & Amp / Body Side Moldings / Automatic Headlights / Focal Speakers x4 / Door sill trim (4) / Navi w/DVD, Bluetooth, Rear Sensors and Camera, & Honda XM fin / Leather seats & Heated fronts / Window tints (35/20) / Phone/MP3 holder / Rear Passenger 12v Outlet / Homelink / Auto Day/Night Mirror / Splash Guards & All Weather Mats / Trunk Tray
post #3 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Smile

< Continued >

Step 8:
Put the Honda antenna in the newly created hole, ensure the pointed corner is facing towards the trunk, and verify it is straight if the fit is not tight in all directions.

Step 9:
From the backseat of the car install the Honda antenna nut with the three points facing towards the roof, and the alignment tab fitting in the cutout of the coaxial cable looking connector. Depending on your tools you may be able to tighten the nut through the backseat light fixture hole; otherwise you should be able to pull down the ceiling liner enough (two to four inches) to gain access to the nut to tighten it.

Step 10:
Congratulate yourself because your done! Now go listen to some satellite radio.

Convert from XM to Sirius

I purchased the Sirius satellite receiver and antenna for use with my Myron and Davis navigation unit. The included Sirius antenna, shown in my pictures below, is meant to sit in the front or rear window, or be mounted outside the car, typically on the roof near the center of the back window. In my case, I did not want the Sirius antenna sitting in the back window or mounted outside of the car. While it worked fine in the back window and on the roof, I did not like the cosmetic look of it in either location.

As a result of the above, the Honda XM radio antenna was the logical choice. Unfortunately, Honda only offers the antenna with XM and not Sirius. Therefore, I converted the Honda XM antenna to Sirius by replacing the internal printed circuit board (PCB), which the following pictures show.

Disassembling the Honda XM radio antenna
Remove the four, recessed screws from the bottom of the antenna and remove the top (the visible part when mounted on the roof)
Remove the black, rubber grommet from the silver, metal frame
Remove the four, small screws holding the PCB inside the antenna to the silver, metal frame
Remove the black, retaining clip holding the antenna wire in the small, metal, rectangular hole in the silver, metal frame.
Note: The Honda connector on the end of the antenna wire will not fit through the small, metal, rectangular hole, so will either need to cut the wire, remove the connector, or unsolder the wire from the electronics. My picture shows the wire was cut.

Disassembling the Sirius radio antenna
Remove the screws from the bottom of the antenna and remove the top (the visible part when mounted on the roof)
Remove the PCB from the lower housing
< Continued >
Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:

post #4 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Smile

< Continued from Disassembling the Sirius radio antenna >
Remove the rubber ring from around the PCB (it may be also be attached to the cable soldered to the PCB)
You should now have a loose Sirius PCB with cable hanging from it.

Installing the Sirius radio PCB in the Honda XM radio antenna
If your intention is to drill a single, square hole in your roof, rather than the rectangular hole shown in my pictures, then you will need to cut or file-off the small, rectangular metal shaft that previously held the wire and black, retaining clip. My pictures show this part removed.
Drill a hole in the center of the shaft where the nut screws on (there may already be a circle stamped into the metal in this location) for the antenna wire to go through.
Note: The antenna wire plug that goes into the Sirius receiver may be too big to fit through this newly drilled hole, as it was in my case. As a result, I unsoldered the antenna wire from the Sirius antenna and fed it through the hole, then re-soldered it to the PCB. Another alternative is to cut a small shaft from the previously removed small, rectangular metal shaft to this new drilled hole for the cable to slide through.
If your installation is like mine, the Sirius PCB will be a little smaller than the XM radio PCB and will not fit the same way (e.g. the screws previously holding the XM radio PCB to the Honda XM radio antenna will not hold the Sirius PCB in place). Nonetheless, there are two small tabs below each of the four screw holes and the Sirius PCB will fit snuggly between the four sets of tabs. See the following picture for more details. The antenna wire may get in the way so route it along the bottom of the PCB to allow the PCB to sit securely.
Either using a slightly larger screw head, but the same thread, secure the PCB (the top of the screws will overlap the sides of the PCB). Another method is to use hot glue on the four corners to secure it.
Reassemble the Honda XM radio antenna.
Proceed to Step 3.

Happy Motoring... Scott C.
Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #5 of 12 Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Smile

Anyone have any questions? I attached a few more pictures showing the antenna dimensions and the factory wiring (as noted this was removed from mine and shown separately in my pictures with the XM radio PCB).

BTW, I noticed my couple of spelling mistakes after posting, but DA won't let me edit the post.

Scott C.
Attached Images

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #6 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

i have a question...to cars that do not have satellite in their cars, is there a way to hook up the existing antenna to this one???
i have to read in full your post..i quickly looked thru it as it looks interesting!!!
post #7 of 12 Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkev21 View Post
i have a question...to cars that do not have satellite in their cars, is there a way to hook up the existing antenna to this one???
i have to read in full your post..i quickly looked thru it as it looks interesting!!!
You do not need to have satellite radio already in the car for this to work (IE. factory XM radio). Sirius and XM radio equipment can be purchased from numerous places in various hardware formats, such as with a stereo, navigation unit, or stand alone (to plug into a factory or aftermarket radio). For me, my navigation came with the functionality, so I just had to supply the receiver and antenna. I merged the electronics from my Sirius antenna with the Honda factory antenna by removing the XM radio electronics and substituting the Sirius. If you prefer XM radio, then you don't have to do anything to the Honda factory antenna for it to work with your XM receiver (whatever that may be). Clear?

I see you list Sirius XM in your signature line, so I am assuming you already have the ability to receive these services. If that is the case, are you wanting to use the Honda factory XM radio antenna rather than what you have now? If so, read through my DIY and it will explain how to do that, assuming your Sirius XM antenna is anything like mine (typical aftermarket variety).

BTW, my DIY is for 2008-2010 (8th gen) and I do not know what Honda may have changed in the 2011-2014 (8.5 and 9th gens). If you try it, please report back what you find since this will assist others.

Scott C.

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Just here for the food

is it possible to replace the shark fin antenna that comes with our cars (those equipped with XM) with one from a different car? i just want a bigger, more "present" antenna. like those on BMWs and the new Hyundais.

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

I don't see why not, as long as the antenna or roof can be adjusted to allow the antenna to bolt down.

Scott C.

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Just here for the food

cool. any idea on where to get the OEM XM shark fins for diff. manufacturers?

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 12 Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
2010 Honda Accord EX

I have not researched shark fins for manufacturers other than Honda. That being said, I assume there are comparable online sales sites like we see for Honda. I will be interested to see what you end up with.

2010 Honda Accord EX
-----------------------
Mods / Additions:
post #12 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM
My First Post

Scott, due to some roof damage, I had the outer layer of the roof replaced. When I turn on the XM radio, I get "antenna" on the display. I looked at the cabling and it appears intact from what I could see. Would I get this error if a Sirius antenna was used vice a XM antenna.?
Advertisement

Tags
antenna, honda, shark fin, sirius, xm radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.