Plug Wires/Cap Rotor. What is a good set to buy for my Honda? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question Plug Wires/Cap Rotor. What is a good set to buy for my Honda?

I'd like to tune up my Honda soon and I know it could use a new set of wires and a cap rotor. I was wondering what is the best brand to use for these cars?

1997 Honda Accord Vtec EX 160K and running like a clock! My daily driver gas saver!
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 AM

OEM for the rotor and cap. Oem wires also or maybe NGK or Denso wires. Compare local prices to or .

post #3 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Perfect thanks for the tip! I just placed a nice big order at bernardi parts. Awesome site! Very dangerous to my credit card because they have it all! There was actually a cap and rotor kit and plugs (oem) on ebay but Bernardi was cheaper by a few bucks. I don't mind spending the money as long as I'm gettin the good stuff my Honda craves! Thanks again for the links!

1997 Honda Accord Vtec EX 160K and running like a clock! My daily driver gas saver!

post #4 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Glad the links worked out. Here's another good one too: . Post up some pics of your car when you have a chance.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Here are some below of my baby! I've been wanting to tune it up for some time now but did'nt want to deal with buying stuff that was over kill or junk. I own a bunch of cars and trucks and I know some aftermarket stuff is good and some is junk. Since the Honda is my daily gas saver I want to treat it to the stuff it needs! Ok here she is...
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

This was one of those cars a little old lady bought brand new. Kept it in a car port and took it back to the dealer for everything. I bought it a few years back now and it runs great. I just put new tires all the way around so it drives like new. What a difference a set of new tires makes on a car!
Attached Images

post #7 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Wow thats clean and shiny...looks great! Autozone and Advance Auto have good deals on spark plugs. Use either NGK or Denso.

Pcv valve...use oem since the spring is stronger than the el cheapo's. That part was around $20 at my dealer and College Hills had it for $13. Ignoring replacement can cause you to burn alot of oil quickly.

Also its very important keeping up on the drain and fills for the atf. Use Honda Z-1 instead of any old brand. Changing it is as easy as an oil change. Hopefully the color of it is not brown or black. Pink to med. red is good.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks! Damn PCV that's what I wanted to get and forgot! I still have to locate it in the engine bay. Hopefully I can find it easy! She will burn maybe a tiny bit between the 3K oil changes.

I did the trans fluid as soon as I got it. I took it to my shop and I'm not sure what fluid he put in there but I guess I should change it again with that Z-1 fluid. The color of my trans fluid is a nice pink to med red for sure. I told him to do a trans service but he said all you do is pretty much drain and fill it. The filter is buried deep inside the trans somewhere I guess! Thanks again for the tips and advice. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my cars in preventive maintenance that's for sure!

post #9 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 AM

That car is so clean...even the engine bay and trunk. Great color too.

The pcv valve is located on the top of the valve cover...right above the letter "t" in "vtec". Use pliers to squeeze the clamp together which releases the pressure. Also make sure the pcv hose is clear of obstructions also.

Good thing your mechanic didn't want to do a flush. Honda recommends the drain and fills. Doing a flush can stir up metal particles and possibly block a passage. The end result not being good.

Maybe next oil change do another drain and fill with the Honda Z-1. Buy 3 quarts. If you buy online you can order the Z-1 with the pcv to save on shipping. Sorry to spend your money for ya.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks again for the compliments! This was one of those typical little old lady cars. She lived out in the hills of PA. When they gas prices jumped up she only sold the Honda to get a Prius because she had to commute almost 50 miles a day. So she was looking for all the gas mileage she could get!

Thanks for the tip on where that PCV is. I was looking at that the other week and kinda thought that was it glad you told me before I took pliers to it and killed something!

The Z-1 and PCV are up next on the order list!

post #11 of 11 Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
5th Gear

The dealer might replace the plugs and distributor for free. There was an extended emission warranty for your model. I got mine done in 07 with 90k miles. I don't remember how many years the warranty covers but it covers up to 150k miles.

97 Accord LX Coupe A/T 28mpg

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Pagani Zonda - When I win the lottery and move to Europe.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.