EGR valve DIY? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

EGR valve DIY?

check engine light on. throwing the EGR code

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
6th Gear

What code specifically is it throwing?

Replacing the EGR is a job a DIYer can do. Have you cleaned the ports yet? What year car, etc.?

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #3 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

its a 99 accord EX coupe V6

I havent cleaned valves or anything yet. i dont do major engine work, but i wouldnt mind learning.

post #4 of 12 Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
You might just need an EGR port cleaning.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordlover View Post
You might just need an EGR port cleaning.
can sum1 tell me how to do this?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 AM
6th Gear

You can look in the factory direct area for a TSB issued that shows how to do this. Also, a factory Helms manual is a good purchase if you plan to DIY.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #7 of 12 Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

i fount this on v6performance.net forums this is a life saver!

post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 PM
My First Post

I have a 99 honda accord and the EGR is needing to be replaced but my dad can't find it. I had a service bulletin for the EGR but its for a V6 and i need the service bulletin for V4...also the service bulletin was from Princess. so where can i get one for V4? thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 PM
banned

the accumulation of carbon on the valves sometimes triggers the check engine light so a little bit of cleaning may help. but if it doesn't, i think your EGR valve needs replacement.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

i recently replaced my valve cover gaskets and by taking off the intake (the header looking part that have to come off to get to the back valve cover and also connects to the rubber intake where the air filter sits) i saw a tiny hole, smaller than the rest and its was all clogged up, so i poke it and cleaned it and my egr check engine light is now gone! i think thats the problem for most most egr valve check engine light because its clogged up by dirt particle and just needs to be clean, i tried a new egr, tried cleaning the hole where the egr sits on with a metal brush that looks like a baby bottle cleaner but no use?? thank god i changed my valve cover gasket to see that problem, i think the egr routes to the intake to mix gas with air? but my problem fixs now so hope this helps..... i dont know much part name but yeah....... autozone stilled hired me lol =)
post #11 of 12 Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

what did you do use to remove the EGR valve. With the fluted design, I have had trouble getting a wrench to sit flush on the nut. Please advise. Thanks.

BTW, I have a 2001 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4-cyl. with 256K I have the code as well. I plan to replace the EGR valve and clean the ports, but just can't figure out how to access the ports and remove the EGR valve.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-21-2014, 09:28 AM
My First Post

Angry (p1491) showing up

hi I have a 99 ex accord v6 and i have the same problem witht he egr showing up (p1491) and we cleaned the port and cleaned the egr also and it still keep on showing up when u drive like 30 miles and its the same problem. Can someone help me out here?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.