LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 01-28-2004, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
O do u know the buffinman

Question How often do you change wiper blades

every 3 months
every 6 months
once a year
When metal scrapes glass

Theres alot of people that drive with bad wiper blades.....???

Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 01-28-2004, 03:28 PM
6th Gear

Has anyone had any better luck with blades from the dealer rather than parts stores such as Anco or Trico? I only get 6 months from these aftermarket wiper blades. These are on my Pontiac. I have had my Honda for 18 months & the blades are still good. I clean my blades every few months with isopropyl alcohol. I know that shortens the life but is the best way to clean them.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #3 of 59 Old 01-28-2004, 03:32 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to feferic
I am one of those people that drives with bad wiper blades! Its such a treat when I do finally replace them!

'03 Accord EX V6 Sedan
Satin Silver Metallic

Prior:
1990 Dodge Daytona ES Turbo
1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Diesel (known as ‘Smokey’)
1974 Toyota Celica GT (I wish I still had that car – parents bought it new)

post #4 of 59 Old 01-28-2004, 04:57 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
We usually replace them in Oct. with the first rain. Mine first so he doesn't have to listen to me gripe. They just don't ever seem to make it through the Summer without getting brittle....& my car's garaged!
post #5 of 59 Old 01-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Out of Control

I only replace them when they get too bad. I realized they were "too bad" when one morning fog formed on the OUTSIDE of the windshield even after I cleared it, then the sun was perpendicular to the windshield and the wipers wouldn't wipe all the fog off. Ooo...that's not good...can't see. So yeah I replaced them with Bosch blades, and my dad got very mad at me for spending $35 on that Customer appreciation month at Honda in October, free wiper blades!!! Of course that came out about 2 weeks after I spent my $35.
post #6 of 59 Old 01-29-2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Interesting,

I see quite a few cars with blades shredded... I can't understand why?? 6-8 bucks to see when it rains/snows....

I replace mine after summer and after winter... I "always use" OEM Honda inserts and did for the 180k+ that I put on my 5th Gen.

I know that if you have any type of vehicle with a heated windshield you will have to replace more often....

I1
post #7 of 59 Old 01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Out of Control

I find that some car wipers don't cover enough area or other things like that. For instance the Camry blades start to lift at around 80MPH....so above that they're useless. That's why Mercedes has downforce blades on the wipers haha those are so cool.
post #8 of 59 Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

You can purchase aftermarket downforce blades for most cars....
But, I cannot personally admit if they work or not........

Most European vehicles have some advantage over US, due to the fact that they have such stringent safety regulations and have to rate a higher speeds...

Most Benz's and BMW's have aero/type wipers........

Benjamming,

On the ? Dealer Vs Aftermarket ....
It depends on the vehicle, I use trico on my van, but that is what it came with.(Mazda\Ford)
You will find 75% of vehicles on road today have either Anco/Trico/Bosch blades and inserts, The Blade Frame may be specifically manufactured for each vehicle but inserts with fit several styles of frames....
It's just tough sometimes to figure out who? manufactured frames sometimes.....

I tried Trico inserts in my 5th Gen and was not happy with the job they did, since then only Honda...

I1
post #9 of 59 Old 01-30-2004, 10:18 AM
6th Gear

Inspector1

Thanks for your reply.
I haven't changed the refills on my Accord yet - 18 months & going. I still have great visibility in rain.
The Pontiac is where I have had terrible time with refills. Within 1 week my Trico & and now my Anco blades are not very good. They stay for 6 months. I guess I'll go to the dealer & see what they have to offer, besides a heart attack when I see their prices.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
post #10 of 59 Old 04-07-2004, 05:41 AM
4th Gear

Anco makes WP with silicon rubber which they guarantee for life. What more can you as

Honda Accord 2004 EX w/Nav
2k6 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 6sp King Cab w/265hp of excitement everyday.
post #11 of 59 Old 04-26-2004, 09:49 PM
77htchbck

I use RainX and very rarely use my wipers. Mostly used at lower speeds when wind isn't sufficient to blow moisture away.

Have used Lexor inserts, but they tend to chatter. Not sure if the RainX causes this or the inserts, but it is annoying.
________
post #12 of 59 Old 06-27-2004, 04:07 AM
Out and Proud since 1998

Send a message via AIM to Unity1
PIAA wipers for me. I put a set on shortly after buying the car.

The rain always beads with these wipers..... and no Rain-X.

Rain-X dries out your wipers... leading to cracking that yields streaks when you use the wipers.

There's some cloth they ship with the PIAA's.... that's soaked in some really special stuff.... that I can't read because the package is filled with Chinese or Japanese characters. You wipe this all over the clean windshield before using the PIAA wipers.

I don't know what it does... but when you use it and the PIAA wipers, it beads up the water really well... and for a lot longer than Rain-X will before you have to reapply it.

Redondo Red 2005 Acura TL 5AT non-navi
post #13 of 59 Old 06-27-2004, 11:30 AM
6th Gear

Question

What is PIAA?

---------------------
post #14 of 59 Old 06-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Out and Proud since 1998

Send a message via AIM to Unity1

Redondo Red 2005 Acura TL 5AT non-navi
post #15 of 59 Old 06-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Rain Maker

i had a car once, years ago, that had a groove etched into the winshield from the metal scratching back and forth. still only replace them when i cant see worth a damn in the rain. dont mean to. just keep saying "i'll do it tomorrow" and before i know it, a month or more has passed....

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.