Why Do We Buy Certain Cars - Poll - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
View Poll Results: What Drives You To Buy A Car -
Style (exterior/color) 36 75.00%
Engine (power/horsepower/torque output) 36 75.00%
Interior styling (color, leather, cloth, dash/layout) 26 54.17%
Exterior Features (LEDs, review-cameras, parking sensors, fog lights, HIDs, signal mirrors) 15 31.25%
Interior Electronics (Navigation, XM, multiple CD changer, DVD playback, push button start etc.) 21 43.75%
Safety Rating 16 33.33%
Company Brand (Honda, Acura, VW, Mercedes, BMW etc..) Or Dealership Committment 27 56.25%
Warranty/Warranty Options 8 16.67%
Price/Incentives/ 19 39.58%
Reviews/Word Of Mouth/Friend owns one/Etc.... 14 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Boosted Sedan

Why Do We Buy Certain Cars - Poll

So I was thinking about this the other day, what makes people buy certain cars? This is obviously a loaded question but i am very curious why people buy say a Dodge Neon, or a Corolla, or say a Suzuki, or maybe even things like why buy a Mustang V6 when you can get the V8 etc. I mean sometimes i look at people driving certain cars and I scratch my head and as why, what did it for that person to plunk down on that vehicle and think it was nice!

I am going to try to include the most options in the poll as possible but dont kill the messenger if i miss some -

Since there can be multiple reasons why you like a specific car you can select more than one on the poll -

PS - this is purely for fun,

2012 Midnight Black Hyundai Sonata 2.0T W/Navigation &
2011 Taffetta White Accord Coupe EX-L V6 (Wife's)

Vehicle History:
2009 Honda Accord Sedan I4 (Wife's first Honda)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
2006 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6MT W/Navigation
2000 VW GTI VR6
1994 Honda Accord Sedan I4
1989 Honda Accord Sedan I4
1988 Buick Park Ave V6 (First Car)
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
5th Gear

You need to add a section:

Overall value for the dollar versus others in it's field.

That is my answer by the way

2016 Volkswagen Passat VR6

Previously: 9 Accords from 1990-2014
post #3 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear

"Reliability" would have been a great selection. That is why we bought Toyota's and Honda's. I know the American and Korean automakers have caught up, but that is the biggest reason for my decision.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Captain Slow

I bought my car to be different. Different from the cars of my friends and family. BMWs and Mustangs have become so common around here, its almost bland now. My car is rare enough to still turn heads, even after four years. Reliability and value are also convenient pluses.

Honda Accord Coupe EX '08 BBP I4
HID Low Beams: DDM Tuning 35w 6k slim kit (low/fogs) | After Market/OEM Fog Lights | LED Conversion/Footwell Illumination | HDR Black Lower Grille Billet | 35% Tints | Debadged | Lip Spoiler | Leather wheel from EX-L
Wish List: M3 Roof Spoiler | Repaint bumper | Coilovers/Wheels
post #5 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM
kevster.

[QUOTE=GuidoCoupeV6;851180]So I was thinking about this the other day, what makes people buy certain cars? This is obviously a loaded question but i am very curious why people buy say a Dodge Neon, or a Corolla, or say a Suzuki, or maybe even things like why buy a Mustang V6 when you can get the V8 etc. I mean sometimes i look at people driving certain cars and I scratch my head and as why, what did it for that person to plunk down on that vehicle and think it was nice! ** Ok sock it to ya son, why do you prefer blondes, oh ok maybe a red head, brunette, do you prefer 5' even or a little taller? do you like a girl with freckles, maybe large breasts, medium.. So this is why people buy the vehicles they do.. it is an attraction thing, looks, fuel mileage, maybe performance instead of fuel mileage. I do not care about fuel mileage, never have, I like PERFORMANCE and a hot looking ride, or a hot looking truck like my new Ram 1500. some like to slam a car,others do not, some like to tint glass, some do not, some like a awsome sound system, others are happy with OEM radio system. Why do some people choose to live in a apartment and never buy a house? because they do not want to deal with the up keep costs, yard work, etc..and or just to scared to make that commitment. So why do we all drink a different brand of beer? because we all have different tastes, and answered your ?? We all are different in what we want, what we see.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

So many different reasons, with some more important than others.
Style (you can't look bad), Engine (neeeeed the powa), Company Brand, Warranty (especially with those German manufacturers), Price, and Reviews (how else would you know that you need to test drive the car?).

2009 BBP 6-6

They call me......Chase.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

You forgot to add handling to the list. I won't buy a car I don't enjoy driving.... That's why I don't drive Toyotas. I can't stand the floatiness and boredom in the drive. There's 0 feedback and connection to the road compared to Hondas.

As for priorities, styling comes in a close second, followed by engine.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 AM
2nd Gear

1. Past experience with Brand
2. Safety features (ABS, Traction, etc)
3. Ease of maintenance and parts availability
4. Price compared to competition.

BTW, DA forum is why I bought the accord, so much help and information available, why go to the Dealer

2005 Accord I-4 LX Graphite Pearl ~~~120K miles and counting
Mods: OEM Navigation, TL sway bar, V6 strut tower bar, V6 leather seats, K&N air filter
post #9 of 13 Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM

It's a unique, buyer-defined combination of all those features that define "value." I understand what you're getting at but my purchase decisions aren't one-dimensional.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Boosted Sedan

I should have added Impulsebuy as when I saw my 7th Gen for the first time and jumped in her for the test drive and saw all the goodies inside coupled with the straight line power from the 6-6 I was hooked -

Obviously we are all different when it comes to tastes for XYZ (in this case autos) I thought it would be interesting to see on this board what predominantly was the top reason why we bought our cars - I mean there has to be a point in every auto enthusiasts lives where your sitting at a light or something and see someone roll up in a vehicle that you just scratch your head at and say what were you thinking -

I think reliability could be coupled with Safety rating on the polls, Handling could be grouped with Power, and I guess Value and Being Different would be two separate additions (only problem is DA only allows 10 choices)

Thus Far (as most would have guessed) top three lead the way

1. Exterior Styling
2. Performance (across the board)
3. Price & Brand

Another thing I am curious about is if people are so in need of performance and since thats a major reason to buy a vehicle (#2 on poll) why do some buy a 4cyl instead of the 6 when in reality the V6 will always be a better performing car, the looks are the same, only difference is price obviously - (prob just answered my own question) Going back to the Mustang example i would never buy that type of car unless it was the V8 it just wouldnt be worth it to say i have a mustang v6 because i like the look of the car -

2012 Midnight Black Hyundai Sonata 2.0T W/Navigation &
2011 Taffetta White Accord Coupe EX-L V6 (Wife's)

Vehicle History:
2009 Honda Accord Sedan I4 (Wife's first Honda)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
2006 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6MT W/Navigation
2000 VW GTI VR6
1994 Honda Accord Sedan I4
1989 Honda Accord Sedan I4
1988 Buick Park Ave V6 (First Car)
post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 PM
5th Gear

1. Horsepower close to 250 and a V6 is a must for me to even consider a Sedan.

2. Navigation is a must.

3. HID/LED Headlights are a must.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
post #12 of 13 Old 04-03-2014, 05:13 PM
OLD SCHOOL ACCORDIAN

1) Styling
2) Power Output (Engine HP/TRQ)
3) Fun to Drive Factor

In that order...
post #13 of 13 Old 04-19-2014, 01:15 PM
4th Gear

Honda or bust.

I would never want to own another make

Honda has treated me and my family very well.
we are on our 7th Honda currently.

I owned a mazda 6 3.0 and drove it like a Honda.
motor blew in less than 5K miles.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.