If you died today . . . - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
View Poll Results: If you died today, do are you certain that you would go to heaven?
Yes. Without a doubt. 17 22.97%
Think so, but not 100% sure. 23 31.08%
Don't know, but wish I could find out. 13 17.57%
Don't know. Don't care. 10 13.51%
Have other plans. 11 14.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 04:24 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Quote:
Someone once said that you can tell what (or who) a person loves by how he/she spends their time. It's hard to have a relationship (with God or anyone else), if there is no time to cultivate it and nurture it.
I think THAT'S why so many find church valuable. It's a place & time they can set aside to listen & learn. They can take the time to reflect & be thankful. To ask for help in daily stuff & for forgivenss when they (we) mess up.

Advertisement

post #17 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Drive It Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
For most the relationship would start with WANTING one. If you believe he's our father, then as with anyone, you'd just start talkin'.

Isn't that how all relationships start? With communication?
Makes sense. But it's a 2-way street. I have to want a relationship with God and vice versus. Why do either of us want this in the first place?

post #18 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 04:34 PM
ready to go....

I see it very much like a parent child thing.... when you make a child you want to have a relationship with him or her. So here we are & he's just waiting for us to contact Him. I do the same thing with our son since he moved away. I don't want to do all the calling for fear I'll be too pesty. So I wait for him to call. Every now & then I find myself calling anyway....that would be like those little "miracles" you see around you. God saying "um, I"m still here. Anytime you want to talk..."

post #19 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Drive It Forever

I can understand the parent/child (creator/creature) analogy. But I think it's more conditional to have a relationship with God. I think there has to be forgiveness.
I like this description of forgiveness: "Forgiveness is an act that restores a relationship to it's prior condition before it was affected by sin."
This applies to relationships with God and with others.
post #20 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 05:03 PM
ready to go....

True.

So if I didn't have a relationship with someone that I wished I did, the first words would likely be "sorry that I haven't kept in touch". From that point the other person would like respond "it's OK, I'm just glad you're here now". My action would need to be following through on it... I couldn't just SAY "sorry" & not BE sorry.

So God wants us to talk. He wants us to take a look at ourselves & make whatever changes may be needed to walk closer to His footsteps.

Pretty much every religion has the creator, the mediator, the life to lead & the reward for leading it. They are also based on Faith. They may call the creator a different name or the mediator, but the life is always to try to walk in the same path as them.
post #21 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Drive It Forever

I don't think this is about religion. Religion can be sort of like an imaginary friend. A real relationship would need to be with the true, living God.

When we enter into realtionship, and invest time into it, we get to know the other person. Generally this doesn't happen in a crowd. What's the best way to spend time with God and get to know him?
post #22 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 05:52 PM
ready to go....

A christain would read the Bible as a way to get to know Him. I guess others would read what their belief system says is God's Word.

The main reason for churches is SUPPOSED to be a place where people of a common belief gather to study up some more. Unfortunately sometimes the people mess it up. THEY made the religions.

It started out pretty simple. I am your God, do as I say & I will take care of you. Then mankind messed up. We didn't do as He said. So then rules were made. Mankind was treated like a kid that needed lots of structure. But the problem there was the relationship was more out of fear than love.

Plan B: Ok, tell you what, I'll be here whenever you need me, just call. Here's some examples of how I've taught others to remember me (songs, lessons, communion, beauty in what you see, etc.) Instead of a reward on earth, you'll get it after you die. But seeing that you messed up before, I'll add this: if you have faith & believe in me, then they'll only be ONE sacrifice, my son.

One of the most "Godly" places I've been is Yosemite.

I see God's love as LESS conditional than people's. You don't have to EARN it, it's there whether or not we acknowledge it. You just accept it the fact.
post #23 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Drive It Forever

Quote:
. . . if you have faith & believe in me, then they'll only be ONE sacrifice, my son.

I see God's love as LESS conditional than people's. You don't have to EARN it, it's there whether or not we acknowledge it. You just accept it the fact.
You've stated the essence of John 3:16 - - For God so loved the world that he gave (sacrificed) his only begotten son, that whosoever believes on him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Why was a sacrifice necessary?

(And I agree that God's love is unconditional. But we established that sin separates us from God, so sin has to be removed for their to be a relationship - - that's where the condition applies. )
post #24 of 57 Old 04-01-2006, 07:19 PM
ready to go....

In the old law they made animal sacrifices to get a clean slate each year from their sins.

In the new law once was enough for all of us.

Again speaking only from the Christian point of view....

The "clean slate" for the individual would be:

1. hear, you'd have to know who God is.
2. believe. you'd need to believe He is God & that he DID sacrifice His son.
3. confess. you'd need to tell God your path & His are in conflict.
3. repent. you'd need to change your path.
4. have faith. you'd need to have faith that THIS is the plan & by following it you'll get to Heaven.
5. most believe that Baptism is the "washing" away the sins, for that clean slate.
6. Live faithfully
7. Teach others the same path.

hearing & believing: John 5:24 "I tell you the truth, whosoever hears my word & believes him who sent me has eternal life & will not be condemned: he has crosed over from death to life."

confessing, repenting & baptism: Mark 1:5 "The whole Judean countryside & all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River." Acts 2:38 "Peter said, Repent & be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of the Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit."

The books of Hebrews & James is about faith, like Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for & certain of what we do not see."

living the path & teaching others: Matthew 28:18-20 "Then Jesus came to them & said, All the authority in heaven & on earth has been given to me. Therefore go & make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father & of the Son & of the Holy Spirit & teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Again this is comomg from MY viewpoint....& from I have learned & read for myself. I am not an authority on the subject. I'd suggest reading for yourself.
post #25 of 57 Old 04-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Out of Control

Have other plans... Dont get on that list.

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
post #26 of 57 Old 04-04-2006, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Drive It Forever

Quote:
In the old law they made animal sacrifices to get a clean slate each year from their sins.

In the new law once was enough for all of us.
The "clean slate" for the individual would be:
5. most believe that Baptism is the "washing" away the sins, for that clean slate.
Correct me if wrong. Sacrifice is required b/c "the wages of sin is death". Under the old law, animal sacrifice was the temporary solution until the ultimate sacrifice (perfect man/God, ie Jesus) was made. If baptism could wash away sin, no sacrifce would be needed. This belief discounts Jesus' death. Under the new law, only the blood of Jesus is sufficient to remove sin. Thus if we reject Jesus, our sin can't be removed and it separates us from God.
post #27 of 57 Old 04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
ready to go....

Quote:
Under the new law, only the blood of Jesus is sufficient to remove sin. Thus if we reject Jesus, our sin can't be removed and it separates us from God.
But if just the fact He was sacrificed was enough, then there'd be no reason for belief..... So there MUST be something more. If he died for ALL of us, then what does someone that feels he's saved do differently than the ones who don't think they are saved? Not reject Jesus would be one thing... but HOW do you do that? What do you do to not be rejecting Him? Apparently even the devil believed who he was, but it wasn't enough for him.

So baptism is the rebirth into the life without the sin you allowed Jesus to carry away for you. The acceptance of the "Holy Spirit". The symbol of your acceptance of belief. I've heard the emphasis put on different parts of the same thing. When I've heard people use the term "washing away sin" it's usually about the rebirth, the new life afterward.

I am by no means an authority!! My knowledge of other faiths than Christianity is VERY limited. My knowledge of Christianity comes from what I've read & heard. I am not afraid to try to answer questions, but I don't consult anything but the Bible. It may seem dumb, but I figure the place it started is the best place to learn..... Kinda a brand loyal thing, I guess....
post #28 of 57 Old 04-04-2006, 05:21 PM
6th Gear

But baptism is just that - a symbol - as you said. It is an act of obedience. The thief on the cross wasn't baptized but is in paradise (heaven) according to Jesus.
I agree that just the fact that Jesus died for us isn't enough. If we only believe, that's not enough either. As you said, from the book of James, the demons believe & they tremble. He died for all of us so that we would accept his invitation to make him Lord of our life. This means selling out to Him - the tell tale sign of which is obedience. Now, we are back to the baptism thing which is commanded of us as an act of obedience. If you don't give your life to him 100%, you are rejecting his free gift.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #29 of 57 Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
ready to go....

The thief on the cross has been used as an example many times to show that we don't need baptism.... But there's many examples of people being baptized. I would assume that if while alive, Jesus himself tells someone He'll see him in "Paradise" that's good enough. Since He's not walking on the planet now, we'll have to assume the other examples are what we need to do.

The book of James talks a lot about faith vs. works getting you a spot in Heaven. Although I think what you do matters, I don't think you can "EARN" you way to Heaven. It's always struck me as funny.... thinking of something like a points system to get there.... extra credit of you attend a church.... I seriously don't think that's how it all works. It's attitude. You can't earn grace or it wouldn't be grace, right?
post #30 of 57 Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Drive It Forever

I think you are right on target. You can't earn grace or a ticket to heaven. Too much is often made of baptism - - with or without - - it will neither guarantee admission to heaven or keep you out.

Grace is indeed a gift offered to everyone, but not everyone accepts the gift (Jesus' death for our sin). Funny how we'd never leave a gift unopened on Christmas, but so many will not accept grace - - the greatest gift ever. Can you imagine how the giver feels?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.