A/C Horsepower Drain? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
View Poll Results: Can you feel a loss in power with the A/C on?
V6 - No loss in power 14 26.42%
V6 - I can feel it 8 15.09%
I4 - No loss in power 9 16.98%
I4 - I can feel the pain 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
#8 in 08

A/C Horsepower Drain?

Quote:
Originally posted by stiller fan
a/c's rob the 4-banger of about 5-10 horses...at least it feels like it to me anyway...
Quote:
Originally posted by BenjiBoy650
Much more than 5-10!

These posts from a ways back got me thinking. How much power does the A/C rob?

And as far as the poll goes, can you feel a loss of power?

PRIOR: 1999 Accord EX-L 5M (Rear-ended & totaled)
CURRENT: 2012 Mustang GT 6M
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
#8 in 08

Re: A/C Horsepower Drain?

I notice it primarily when starting off. There is a big difference starting from a complete stop with the A/C on. It isn't as noticeable in any other gear or at any other rpm.

PRIOR: 1999 Accord EX-L 5M (Rear-ended & totaled)
CURRENT: 2012 Mustang GT 6M

Last edited by Coil99; 06-04-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: A/C weather again...
post #3 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 03:19 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
I put I can feel it, but I want to explain.

The A/C shuts off under a really heavy load....it's supposed to & I know when it does.

I can certainly tell the difference on days that it's not kicking on.....I have a tendency to push the pedal the same & squeal wheels! So I feel when it kicks off more than when it comes on!

So I feel a power gain, not so much a power loss!

post #4 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 03:37 PM
pro common sense!

since i haven't utilized all of my car's power from a stop, it's hard to say if i'm loosing much power, but i do know it's harder to get it in gear from a stop when the ac is on! but on the highway, i don't notice too drastic of a power loss if i turn the ac on.

Current:
06 Nighthawk Black Acura TSX 6 spd~mine~20mm tl sway bar
08 Alabaster Silver Metallic RDX Tech Pkg~stevels'

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray
04 Nighthawk Black EX Accord Coupe~5spd~crooked

03 Ruby Red Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
00 Vintage Plum Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
post #5 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Rush fan

i feel a slight loss in power when i turn it on. have to think about it to notice it (4 cyl. auto).
post #6 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 06:05 PM
accordless

this is my biggest gripe with this car.... during acceleration, the revs drop significantly faster when shifting than with the a/c off... and I can feel it kick in when cruising on the highway. hopefully soon honda will incorperate clutchless compressors like some other manufacturers.... that would make it basically unnoticable to us..... I've also noticed that when I leave the car sit at the airport for 3 to 5 days, when the a/c compressor first comes on, there is a very loud clunk type sound.. but only after it hasn't run for days... anyone else notice this????????
post #7 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Out of Control

I notice the noise quite a lot, especially when I turn it on when the car is cold (high RPM clutch engagement). Doesn't bother me, AC still works good. The problem is that it revs significantly slower with the AC on. To drive at normal pace with the AC on around the city, I end up using 40-50% more throttle, and sometimes that means the pedal is on the floor
post #8 of 13 Old 09-21-2004, 06:28 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Mine has sat for 2 weeks & not made any abnormal sounds when using it the first time. Yes, I do hear the compressor though.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 AM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
Angry

i notice the a/c compressor kick on the most when i'm trying to accelerate. i notice it when i'm stopped, or at 70+ mph...i always feel it kick on...
post #10 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Four Doors/Three Pedals

I'm not sure about the new car yet, but in previous experience, the loss of power is noticeable and if I need to get from a stoplight, I'll turn off the AC before hand.

AC compressors drain power, whether or not it's perceptible.

2013 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 6MT MSM
OEM Splash Guards
OEM Door Visors
OEM Moonroof Visor
FormFit Hood Air Deflector
Horn Upgrade
Pilot Genuine Black Leather Steering Wheel Cover
K&N 33-2498
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
--
├┼┼╕
246R
post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Although I no longer own an Accord I checked 4 cyl - feel the pain. My '04 2.4l 5 speed really fell on its face with the A/C on which was 99% of the time in TX. My 3.5l RAV4 uses a different type of compressor and I literally can't tell if it's on or off other the cold air blowing.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM
4th Gear

anyone ever experienced an AC/PS delete? so much raw power
post #13 of 13 Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 AM
5th Gear

Before I cleaned the throttle body, the loss in power with A/C on was significant and the idle RPMs were struggling to keep up. Ever since I cleaned the throttle body, the loss in power is barely noticeable and the RPMs are fantastic. So, voted for loss in power - however small it may be.

I also think, A/C power drain is a common problem in 2003 Accords I4 and V6.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.