New 12 volt battery for my three year old Accord Hybrid? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

New 12 volt battery for my three year old Accord Hybrid?

On New Years Eve my Accord didn't "start". I think it started for a moment then had all kinds of errors about various systems not working. I came back later and it started, but with all the errors. I was able to drive it and once it got up to speed they all reset to normal.

Went to Auto Zone and was going to get a new battery, but the guy testing said the battery was still good but was at 73% charge. I figured out I had left my lights on (they're normally set to Auto).

Today I had the same issue and was able to jump start it. Hopefully when I leave here it will be OK.

Since the car is now three years old I figure I should probably go ahead and replace the battery. Looking for recommendations.

Auto Zone has a battery for $120 or $140. Is that a good choice or do you guys have a favorite?

2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L in Obsidian Blue Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Not there yet, but soon™

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeshifter View Post
On New Years Eve my Accord didn't "start". I think it started for a moment then had all kinds of errors about various systems not working. I came back later and it started, but with all the errors. I was able to drive it and once it got up to speed they all reset to normal.

Went to Auto Zone and was going to get a new battery, but the guy testing said the battery was still good but was at 73% charge. I figured out I had left my lights on (they're normally set to Auto).

Today I had the same issue and was able to jump start it. Hopefully when I leave here it will be OK.

Since the car is now three years old I figure I should probably go ahead and replace the battery. Looking for recommendations.

Auto Zone has a battery for $120 or $140. Is that a good choice or do you guys have a favorite?
Do make sure it's the battery and not something else like the alternator, bad contacts, pealed or poor condition of the cable.
Did you buy that battery brand new? If so it might still be under warranty.
If you didn't buy it new, you can have it recharge for free at some stores. Also you can buy a cheap champion battery charger for $20 and re-charge the battery.

When all else has failed, then by all means do buy a new battery and hang on to the receipt should you need to claim the warranty on it or replace it.

Support & Success on Resolving Your Ongoing Issue.

Best
MONARK

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Base - White Orchid Pearl
50 Mile commute round trip. Refuel once a month.

►Superb driving 63-64 average MPG >1K Miles on a Single Fuel Tank.
►Ultra conservative driving: 59-60 average MPG
►Conservative driving: 54-56 average MPG
►Not so conservative driving: 50-52 average MPG
►Mix Driving: 47-49 average MPG
►Floor it: ≥40 average MPG
►Floor it + Sport Mode: The number of Highway Patrol cars may vary.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Out of Control

Many people get the Advance Auto Gold battery, buy online with a code for pick up in store. If you go to Bobistheoilguy & look under the sale / rebate tab they offen list current Advance Auto codes or other batteries that are on sale. Bosch from Pep Boys scored #1 a few yrs. ago in Consumer R. magazine. NAPA (Deka) batteries are $20 off this month, they are made in PA., USA if you want to support American jobs. Look the mfg. date code, get freshest one they have. Remember: even though the battery says "maintenance free" you may still need to add water (distilled).

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K

post #4 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONARK View Post
Do make sure it's the battery and not something else like the alternator, bad contacts, pealed or poor condition of the cable.
If you didn't buy it new, you can have it recharge for free at some stores. Also you can buy a cheap champion battery charger for $20 and re-charge the battery.

When all else has failed, then by all means do buy a new battery and hang on to the receipt should you need to claim the warranty on it or replace it.

Support & Success on Resolving Your Ongoing Issue.
The Accord Hybrid doesn't have an alternator, just a DC/DC converter for the high voltage battery to the low voltage battery. The cables could be an issue, and looking into them is a good idea. I don't know if it matters to you, but I believe XS Power offers a properly sized replacement, but at a premium since it's a "car audio style of battery".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Not there yet, but soon™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
The Accord Hybrid doesn't have an alternator, just a DC/DC converter for the high voltage battery to the low voltage battery. The cables could be an issue, and looking into them is a good idea. I don't know if it matters to you, but I believe XS Power offers a properly sized replacement, but at a premium since it's a "car audio style of battery".
Ah-ha in that case it might be that there's something going on with the generators/ electric motors that need to be checked out as well. Thanks for the tip.

Best
MONARK

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Base - White Orchid Pearl
50 Mile commute round trip. Refuel once a month.

►Superb driving 63-64 average MPG >1K Miles on a Single Fuel Tank.
►Ultra conservative driving: 59-60 average MPG
►Conservative driving: 54-56 average MPG
►Not so conservative driving: 50-52 average MPG
►Mix Driving: 47-49 average MPG
►Floor it: ≥40 average MPG
►Floor it + Sport Mode: The number of Highway Patrol cars may vary.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONARK View Post
Yes I did, three years and 2 days ago to be exact. It came with my new Accord Hybrid.

post #7 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I know you're one of the early Hybrid owners like myself. Are you still on the factory battery?

post #8 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Out of Control

Quote:

Walmart for batteries. They have the best prices and they're the only place with a 5 year warranty. Everyone else stopped doing such warranties.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Yes I did, three years and 2 days ago to be exact. It came with my new Accord Hybrid.

If I had been at 3 years and 2 days I would've tried Honda on for a replacement, they're full replacement within 3 yrs, 36,000 miles.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Walmart for batteries. They have the best prices and they're the only place with a 5 year warranty. Everyone else stopped doing such warranties.
I have a 5-year warranty that's not from Walmart. It's from a business called Canadian Energy. Pretty good customer service and the battery isn't too bad. It's rated to have 700 CCA and has about 640 when it was tested by Kal Tires when I got new tires. Says on the sticker they have a 60-month warranty for personal use.

Of course, it's a Canadian business(duh), so this info is only gonna benefit anyone living in the Great White North...

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #11 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
I know you're one of the early Hybrid owners like myself. Are you still on the factory battery?
Yep! Even with approximately 2200 watts of aftermarket stereo amplifier I'm still rocking the OEM battery. I've looked for replacement options only because I was bored! It's supposed to get down to 11 degrees F tonight here so I'll see how it goes in the morning when I leave work.

post #12 of 23 Old 01-07-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezyPoofs View Post
If I had been at 3 years and 2 days I would've tried Honda on for a replacement, they're full replacement within 3 yrs, 36,000 miles.
I hit 36,0000 miles in September

post #13 of 23 Old 01-07-2017, 07:48 PM
6th Gear

Garage
I hit 30k miles in 360 days!! I'll hit 80k in probably two weeks, three tops! This morning's start went without any issue, boy was it cold!

post #14 of 23 Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Did you know that Auto Zone's battery testers have warnings printed on them not to use on hybrids 12 volt batteries?

I didn't. Neither did the guy who tested my battery on New Years Eve. The car failed to start once the following week and I was able to jump it. I went back last Saturday night (Jan 7, one week later) to have them test again. The guy there that time said he couldn't test a hybrid battery and showed me the warning printed clearly on the tester. So I left. It needed a jump again after sitting all day Sunday.

I went in to buy a new battery. They tested my old one by disconnecting it and it failed the tester. They installed the new battery and it all seems fine so far.

I wonder what kind of risks there are with their tester?

post #15 of 23 Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Did you know that Auto Zone's battery testers have warnings printed on them not to use on hybrids 12 volt batteries?

I didn't. Neither did the guy who tested my battery on New Years Eve. The car failed to start once the following week and I was able to jump it. I went back last Saturday night (Jan 7, one week later) to have them test again. The guy there that time said he couldn't test a hybrid battery and showed me the warning printed clearly on the tester. So I left. It needed a jump again after sitting all day Sunday.

I went in to buy a new battery. They tested my old one by disconnecting it and it failed the tester. They installed the new battery and it all seems fine so far.

I wonder what kind of risks there are with their tester?
It is a shame Honda will not release technical information on our cars anymore (Helm Service Manuals); makes life very difficult, and in the case of Hybrids, could be dangerous. I would guess the issue with the tester has to do with the use of a DC to DC converter to transfer some of the high voltage battery energy to maintain (charge) the 12v system. A battery "tester" is nothing but a load amperage measurement, and it may be that the DC to DC converter arrangement in our cars would try to compensate for the current drain of the tester and may either damage the converter or somehow impact the high voltage battery. With Honda "secrets" on technology, we can only guess.

2015 Accord Hybrid Touring
2007 Accord SE Sedan (was mine, now step son's)
2009 CR-V EX (Daughter's)
2008 Toyota Yaris (Wife's)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.