HYBRID Owners, Turn "ECO" Mode off! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

HYBRID Owners, Turn "ECO" Mode off!

I was experimenting, trying to find out why my car was having such low mileage compared to reported figures. I turned off "ECO" mode today and immediately noticed the car driving in "EV" mode for longer and the electric motor assist was also stronger with the instant fuel consumption gauge staying way above 40MPG and for longer periods.

It has warmed up here and temperatures are now in the high 20s, but I feel the car performs more like a hybrid now, utilizing more of its in built technology and not just the ICE.

Anyone with a Hybrid on here could try this also and report back. Mine is on FUELLY and I will post results with my current tank of gas driving with "ECO" mode off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abiez For This Useful Post:
hybridbear (01-11-2014), STL_Honda (01-10-2014)
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 AM
5th Gear

Interesting! Kinda funny having an ECO button on a hybrid - a little redundant

Who are you on fuelly?

edit: I guess this is you?

post #3 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

That's right!

post #4 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiez View Post
I was experimenting, trying to find out why my car was having such low mileage compared to reported figures. I turned off "ECO" mode today and immediately noticed the car driving in "EV" mode for longer and the electric motor assist was also stronger with the instant fuel consumption gauge staying way above 40MPG and for longer periods.

It has warmed up here and temperatures are now in the high 20s, but I feel the car performs more like a hybrid now, utilizing more of its in built technology and not just the ICE.

Anyone with a Hybrid on here could try this also and report back. Mine is on FUELLY and I will post results with my current tank of gas driving with "ECO" mode off.

I haven't tried turning off eco yet except for very short distances when I test drove and when I first got the car. I actually thought this button only controlled how the climate control worked based on the owners manual but apparently upon further research it changes the performance of the car greatly.

I've driven 3700 miles in eco so it will be interesting to see if I experience the same results as you. I'm pretty familiar with how EV mode behaves in eco mode so I should be able to tell any differences even if subtle. I've averaged 42.1 MPG in all different kinds of driving conditions/weather. Do you notice a huge difference in performance as well?

I will turn off eco mode on my way home and report back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other Cars Owned

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1992 Acura Vigor
1991 Acura Legend
post #5 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM
5th Gear

ECO mode also changes the accelerator power curve. You'll even notice it if you are driving at a moderate speed 20-40 mph and press the button. You'll feel the car slow or jump a little as it changes the throttle curve.

I'm not sure how much that really helps efficiency, but with it on it basically gives you a little less power for the same pedal position. It seems to help you accelerate a little less aggressively.

2014 Accord Plug-In Hybrid

past - 2005 Accord EX-L Navi
The Following User Says Thank You to CobraPA For This Useful Post:
TEK Rider (11-18-2014)
post #6 of 13 Old 01-11-2014, 05:17 AM
1st Gear

Does Eco Mode have any effect on coolant temps and heat? The Prius Eco Mode will allow the coolant temp to drop under 110F with the heat on without starting the ICE just to make heat. In "Normal" mode the Prius will turn on the ICE at 140F to make heat. Our Fusion Hybrid doesn't have an Eco Mode and will only allow the coolant to drop to 120F before turning on the ICE just to make heat. Eco Mode in the Prius is really useful in winter because it allows the ICE to run less and thus you get higher MPG.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridbear View Post
Does Eco Mode have any effect on coolant temps and heat?
The picture below shows a snip from the owners manual pdf. This is what the owners manuals says about the Econ button.

Our cars have an electric heating element as well. I've been trying to understand its purpose. Maybe they put it in there in case the engine is too cold to make heat. Like at first start. Then when the coolant is hot it switches to that for heat?

I would like to know how and when each heater is used.
Attached Images
The Following User Says Thank You to spw303 For This Useful Post:
hybridbear (01-11-2014)
post #8 of 13 Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 AM
4th Gear

Here is a pic of the heating element. To its right you can see the heater core.

I imagine the electric heating element sucks mad power and is not used for very long.
Attached Images
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spw303 For This Useful Post:
hybridbear (01-11-2014), TEK Rider (11-18-2014)
post #9 of 13 Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
5th Gear

I finally looked up the heater circuit on the tech info site.

It's an electric coolant heater in the coolant heater loop. It can heat the coolant to 158F if the engine has not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CobraPA For This Useful Post:
hybridbear (01-11-2014), spw303 (01-11-2014)
post #10 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

ECO Mode turned off

I just experimented with a short 8.8 mile city trip with ECO mode both off and on.

ECO On: 37.8mpg
ECO Off: 43.1mpg

Strangely, keeping ECO off has seemed to help in my situation. Of course, it's the dead of summer in Florida at the moment, and having the ECO mode off forced me to keep the A/C much lower to stay comfortable (70deg vs 75deg). Both factors seem to make a difference.

YMMV
post #11 of 13 Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

This is interesting...I've always calculated by hand my MPG's on all of my previous cars. Just bought the '15 Accord Hybrid Touring...drove it home from Bellevue with Eco OFF...now I'm on the tank of Chevron where I've turned it on.

I'm usually a very sensitive driver, but I'm still getting used to the Honda system after having 13 Toyota's (4 of which were/are hybrids). My Avalon had a "Sport" mode that really made it go.

I love the way I seem to only see positive things rather than issues like I had with my Avalon.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post
I finally looked up the heater circuit on the tech info site.

It's an electric coolant heater in the coolant heater loop. It can heat the coolant to 158F if the engine has not.
The plug in hybrid differs from the standard hybrid in that it does not have the electric air heating element but instead has an electric coolant heater. The standard hybrid does not have the electric coolant heater. My assumption, that you could verify since you have a plug in, is that the plug in's electric coolant heater preheats the engine and coolant used by the heater while the car is plugged in.

I'm considering installing an aftermarket plug in electric coolant heater on my hybrid in order to raise MPG's in the winter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 13 Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredTouring View Post
The plug in hybrid differs from the standard hybrid in that it does not have the electric air heating element but instead has an electric coolant heater. The standard hybrid does not have the electric coolant heater. My assumption, that you could verify since you have a plug in, is that the plug in's electric coolant heater preheats the engine and coolant used by the heater while the car is plugged in.

I'm considering installing an aftermarket plug in electric coolant heater on my hybrid in order to raise MPG's in the winter.
The plug-in actually has two partial loops. The electric coolant heater can heat coolant just in the cabin heater loop, a solenoid valve cuts out the engine inlet. I assume that when the engine is engaged that the coolant will be partly heated because of the mixing of the two loops at that point, but it doesn't describe it that way in the tech docs.

I have found that pre-heating while plugged in, then not running the cabin heat, leads to very good has mileage even when very cold.

If you pre-heat, then run the cabin heat at 68deg, the mpg is fairly low (~36mpg today, at 20degF, this morning, for example.) This compares to a similar commute which I can do at around 60-70mpg in warmer temperatures, without heat or AC.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.