How is the "premium" stereo and can it be upgraded? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By slimm1469
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

How is the "premium" stereo and can it be upgraded?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering a new Accord (probably 2.0T Sport) which comes with "premium" sound. My previous car with Honda's so-called "Premium" sound system was a 2008 Civic Si. That car had a subwoofer and was loud enough, but the sound really wasn't that great.

I tried the sound system when test driving it, but the only source available was FM radio, and it sounded somewhat ... bad. I must admit I'm coming from a BMW X3 with upgraded (Harmon Kardon) sound. I'm not terribly upset about giving up the BMW in general, but I'm going to miss that sound system more than anything!

Two questions:

1. Discerning music listeners - how is the system for you?
2. Would replacing the speakers make a significant difference? Back in the early 2000s, I put $1,000 into my '99 Civic, gave it a new amp, new speakers and a subwoofer in the trunk. It sounded amazing. But that was when you could just remove the head unit and pop in a new one without losing all of the car's infotainment features, which is something I'm definitely not interested in doing. I assume the amp is built into the car and cant' be replaced any more ... so are speakers still worth changing on their own?

Any insights are welcome thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

There are quite a few topics covering this, try a quick search or just scroll down through this subset. In a nutshell, there is nothing premium about it. I had a Dynaudio in my GTI and it was light years above what my Accord has. People are, and some already have replaced some of the stock speakers.

2018 Accord 2.0T Touring. Platinum White
post #3 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 AM
4th Gear

If digital is PCM then this is what I would do with premium head unit (not available in Sport) Get a processor with digital and analog in and volume control. Grab digital signal from head unit to route to main speakers. Analog mix from oem amp to center speaker (there should be no music playing to analog out since digital is cut off), with analog at higher priority than digital am with very low delay switch (to mute music). It would give the best quality for music and keep all analog function like navigation and voice control. That is if head unit outputs PCM though...not sure about that. If digital is some other format it will not work. I am trying to figure out too.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Sport in Canada, even the 1.5T, has the premium sound system with sub. The 1.5T and 2.0T in Canada are identical, except the motor. Just saying, as I know this is not the case in US models. In fact, all models except the base model, have the same sound system - the one with 400+ watts and the sub.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord81 View Post
Sport in Canada, even the 1.5T, has the premium sound system with sub. The 1.5T and 2.0T in Canada are identical, except the motor. Just saying, as I know this is not the case in US models. In fact, all models except the base model, have the same sound system - the one with 400+ watts and the sub.
Wow, it has the premium sound system but no siriusxm right? I remember a post on here from a Canadian asking why he didn't have siriusxm in his sport.

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
post #6 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillnight20 View Post
Wow, it has the premium sound system but no siriusxm right? I remember a post on here from a Canadian asking why he didn't have siriusxm in his sport.
Ya, I think that's correct, but not 100% sure as I never cared much for satellite radio. No Navi, either.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 05:02 PM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

It ain't premium, it's really mediocre. The HU is for s__t IMO.
Coppertone likes this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear

Making quality music copies on a USB flashdrive sounds pretty good, way better than FM.

2018 Honda Accord EX-L, 1.5L
2015 Mazda CX-5
post #9 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Maybe my ears just suck, but I think the speakers sound pretty good. Better than my 2005 Acura TSX. Maybe not audiophile quality, but it seems perfectly fine to me.

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring. Modern steel.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

I have the 2.0t Touring and Iím a SQ person so no the factory system isnít doing it for me sadly. The good part is Iíve had the gear needed to swap out since last year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.