Install Apps? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-09-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Install Apps?

Regarding the 2018 Honda Accord EX:
So far Im very disappointed with the limitations of the Hondalink OS. The Driver Distraction Limitations are ridiculous. In CA it's illegal for you to hold your phone. It must be hands free. But as long as it's mounted, you are still able to use many functions as long as it's single finger touch. Regardless, I think a user/driver should be allowed choices and be held responsible if abusing those choices, like texting while driving, or watching a video while driving. But the limitations of HondaLink, coupled with AndroidAutos ridiculously small list of supported apps, it makes me wonder... WHY??? Why have this system at all? There's no app/option to watch video or browse images (even if parked) and no web browser. When I ask google for showtimes of a movie playing using voice command, it gives showtimes for theaters that aren't even close to where I am when asking. Ive even tried to specify the theater when asking. Doing this only confuses it. This is a pathetic substitute for the fandango app.
Obviously I considered using the "Install App" (App Installer? sry, not in car) button. So, went on my galaxy S8+, used APK extractor, copied extracted apks to USB jump drive, and plugged it into the car. The car recognizes the Jump Drive, and sees the apks, along with their appropriate file sizes. The apks Im trying are for Accuweather, ES File Explorer, Voxer, and Youtube. When I tap on one of the files, it brings up the "Install App?" dialogue box, but the button "Install" is greyed out.

Does anyone know how to get into the Developer Diagnosis page?
At the very very least, I'd like to disable the Driver Distraction Setting
Is there an android app that can be used in place of Android-Auto that a straight screen mirroring of the phone to the HondaLink Infotainment console?

Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 AM
2nd Gear

I would love to install other apps as well ...

post #3 of 27 Old 01-10-2018, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear

Well....luckily, Google has announced that they are bringing Android Assistant to Android Auto...so all of the voice search options will be coming...how those updates get passed on to the end user, idk...but you can look forward to it

1994 Mustang GT #94Five0
Laser Red Metallic
Born on March 4, 1994 1 of 1,393
Bassani Cat-Back, x pipe & headers, Edelbrock Intake Manifold, FMS 65mm TB, Pro-M 80mm MAF, Custom CAI, KYB shocks/struts, Maximum Motorsports chassis brace package & c/c plates, FRPP Trac-LOK w/3.73s, Cobra R rims 17x9f/17x10.5r
Soon: CHP 347 w/AFR heads, and FTI custom cam

2003 Honda Civic LX Sedan
Satin Silver Metallic

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 MT #TheRedhead
San Marino Red

post #4 of 27 Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear

I have a pixel and maybe I'm confused... I've been using Android Assistant in my car since I bought it. I'm not sure if I confused that with Android Auto basic features or it's been a Pixel exclusive.

Anyways, if you travel a bunch it's the best single feature imo. Even with the best planning there's the inevitable "I have to stop for this". Especially with kids It helps keep me from screwing with the radio and giving more attention to the road.

I can easily distract the kids from nonsense by throwing on a favorite song too

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment. 2017 Accord Coupe EX-L, V6
post #5 of 27 Old 01-10-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So, I know voice has been fairly helpful, but I'm under the impression that's a Google ai (Google's version of Siri). I looked up Android assistand in the play store, but only came across "Assistant for Android" and looks like kinda cheap 3rd party app. What is Android Assistant? Regardless,
1.) I am making it my life's mission to disable the Drivers Distraction feature. I'm finding that it's leading to more distractions than it's saving me from. I end up having to unplug my phone from the car, and since I don't have a mount (might have to buy one) I end up holding the phone and looking down a quickly/little as possible to do the simplest of tasks. I'm mean, even if the car is rolling at 1-2mph, it STILL can't scroll through simple list of albums/artist/playlists/etc. Ironically I can pan around and zoom in/out on Google maps while in motion, but not scroll down a list. So stupid.
2.) Android Auto MUST start being a bit more liberal(?) about apps it supports. For an infotainment console to be of any use to me, it must have FULL support for doubletwist, voxer, fandango, YouTube, gmail, and firefox. I'd settle for only using Youtube and Firefox when parked
post #6 of 27 Old 01-10-2018, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

Android Assistant allows you to talk instead of interacting through touch. I'll ask it to search for gas, food, last minute stops, or modify my schedule/calendar events. I even tell it to text people. It works so much better than the Honda software.

Shoot, if my daughter has a school question, she asks and it answers. It'll search for you if it doesn't have the answer

Android Auto would be terrible without it. Originally it was a Google Pixel Phone exclusive. That's why I'm not sure how Android auto operates without it.

post #7 of 27 Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

To open the Developer options and the USB debugging menu, you have to find the build number and press it multiple times like on a standard Android device.

I also saw a legal agreement, Cant remember where (see edit) maybe in the Diagnostic menu (Vol+Source and Home for 2-3s ) that asked permission to allow the install other stuff. It was one of those legal agreement type things. I didn't look into it to much because I am not looking to install anything at this time.

Edit: Go to: System, Security, then Unknown Sources.
Capth4u likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to samperry007 For This Useful Post:
I800C0LLECT (01-18-2018)
post #8 of 27 Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I guess mine already has Android Assistant as part of AA. It really is usefully for its purpose.
Thanks for the info regarding the diagnostic menu. Will be testing that out tonight and get back to you all tomorrow! Thank you! For all your input everyone!

EDIT: I got developer mode to active, which is a step forward I think... But I went through a every menu catagoryr I could find and still found nothing to let me deactive the "Driver Attention" Lock.
I gave another try at installing apps now that Developer mode is still on. Previously it saw the files on the USB drive I plugged in, as well as their current file sizes, but when I clicked to install, the "install" button in the dialogue box that comes up was greyed out. Unfortunately, nothing changed. "Install" is still greyed out
Also, under "Developer Options, there is a menu option titled "Inactive apps" when you scroll all the way down. "browser" is listed here as "Active" and has an option to "touch to toggle" (which does nothing), but there is no Browser app available for the main Hondalink Infotainment console. Anyone know what gives?
post #9 of 27 Old 01-13-2018, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Diagnostic Menu

I go into the Diagnostic Menu and I see that HD Radio is off; does anyone know if it's possible to turn on HD radio?
post #10 of 27 Old 01-13-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueal25 View Post
I go into the Diagnostic Menu and I see that HD Radio is off; does anyone know if it's possible to turn on HD radio?
How'd you get into the Diagnostic menu?? I tried to hold down Volume+ ("Volume up" on the steering wheel), Home, and Source all at the same time for 20-30 seconds, and nothing happened.
post #11 of 27 Old 01-14-2018, 07:23 AM
5th Gear

In order to install apps like this, you are likely going to have to wait until the unit can be rooted.

Keep checking XDA forum for this. For the 9th gen there is a root procedure for units that have Apple CarPlay / Android Auto and some people have installed Waze on it. But in order to enable this, the unit needs to be rooted first and allow installation of apps. Developer menu does nothing of the sort (at least on the 9th gen).

EDIT: something like this:

Or this:

I800C0LLECT likes this.

2017 Accord EX I4 w. Sensing Sedan
2005 Accord LX I4 Sedan > the one with a $2500 transmission rebuild
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
I800C0LLECT (01-14-2018)
post #12 of 27 Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 AM
2nd Gear

Root is official. It's an app by Codeage. Coincidentally, he released it yesterday towards the end of his thread. He killed a few head units working this project so full access will cost you something but root is free

post #13 of 27 Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 AM
5th Gear

Indeed, I am also very interested in this; seems like a more complete solution than what was available before.

It seems like it supports both 9th and 10th gen HUs for Accords, with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto... I am intrigued as it might be a way for us iPhone users to install Waze on the HU easily.

2017 Accord EX I4 w. Sensing Sedan
2005 Accord LX I4 Sedan > the one with a $2500 transmission rebuild
post #14 of 27 Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

To get into the diagnostic menu do the following: Power Knob, Home, and Source all at the same time.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-14-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

As eager as I am to have my expectations met, I dread and fear rooting a system that is so integrated with the car. My personal experience with Rooting phones and tablet in the past has never ever ever been good. The only thing I have EVER been able to root with confidence was my PSP portable gaming systems. Though there are a few additional permissions unlocked when rooting, the process of rooting is painful and scary. On top of that, you're constantly having to install "nightlys" and what not. Lastly, Id be concerned changing the code on anything that's linked to safety features of the car.
I'm beyond pissed that Android Auto is so dang limited in the apps it supports. Im pissed that the Honda-Linkconsole merely serves as an over-glorified music player. But I'm not willing to make modifications (hacks/roots) to the system. From what I understand though, there is usually a manufacturer built-in function to disable the "Driver Attention" lock, usually through the diagnotic page. Until google/Android gets their crap togethe, or someone makes a 3rd party app that can be used in stead of AA without hack/root, I'll settle for just unlocking the stupid "Driver Attention" lock.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.