Decklid spoiler mistake - too picky? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
14Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Decklid spoiler mistake - too picky?

Bought a 2018 Touring 2.0 a couple weeks ago and negotiated for a decklid spoiler to be added to the car. Picked the car up tonight and at first thought it looked great...still do actually...but I noticed that they lined one side up with the trunk edge to install it instead of centering it. The result is that it's almost flush with the left side of the trunk but there's almost a 1/2" "gap" b/w the spoiler and edge on the other side. Also, and a bit hard to see in the pics, but it's also noticeable when looking at the contour lines on the spoiler to the trunk...there's a slight misalignment.

Now, normally I'd bring it back and ask to have it fixed. Looking online though, it seems like it's not exactly an easy install...adhesive which I'm assuming could damage the clear coat if removed plus drilling had to be done to install it so holes will have to be extended if there's no play when loosening the bolts.

So what are your opinions...am I being too picky about barely 1/4" off center installation? At the very least I'll mention and show it to the service manager to make sure they don't make this mistake in the future with other customers...just not sure how far to push to get mine repairs/fixed/reinstalled.

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Yikes!! That would drive me crazy!
But your right taking it back might be worse.

post #3 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 05:27 PM
2018 2.0 EX-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaingeek22 View Post
Yikes!! That would drive me crazy!
But your right taking it back might be worse.
+1, It is unacceptable and I would make them fix it. Can you please post some wider pics of the profile on your car. I am on the fence about adding.
herosemblem likes this.

post #4 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 05:27 PM
6th Gear

Garage
What's done is done. My advice would be to just live with it and try not to focus too much on it or it will gnaw at you forever. The cure would be far worse than the disease, IMO. That would bother me, too, but I think I'd leave it alone. I might be inclined to bring it to the dealer's attention and state you are unhappy with the workmanship, but in lieu of a fix, you'd accept some sort of credit or discount on service or another accessory. I think that would be more than fair for both parties in this instance.

2017 Accord Touring Sedan | WOP/Ivory
Previous:
2013 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe | WOP | Black/Ivory
post #5 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

I ABSOLUTELY would take it back! That would drive me insane. I would make them correct that immediately. I am having a spoiler added next week on my 2.0 Touring and I will make sure I show them your pics so they won't do this to mine.
herosemblem likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

I would go back and complain. I would at least get credit toward future maintenance work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport PWP
2011 Honda Pilot EX DCP
1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe SMR - gone
post #7 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

No way!!! I couldn't live with that. Take it back.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear

Garage
would not and could not live with that. insist they try swapping off a same-color trunk lid from another touring and see how the paint matches, then
they can have a tech with more attention to detail try the install.

Or a whole new car.. most likely that won't happen though.

Remember that will ALWAYS be there so be sure you can live with it if you take any less of an option.

---
2018 Honda Accord 2.0t Touring. White Platinum / Charcoal.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Take it back, definitely.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

How many thousands of dollars are you spending over many years...

They must fix it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 26 Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

No way I would live with that!
post #12 of 26 Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerdb View Post
+1, Can you please post some wider pics of the profile on your car. I am on the fence about adding.
First...dropped the car off this morning to get it fixed...will update when I hear what they do.

Sorry the pics are a bit dark...took em real quick prior to leaving for work.
Attached Images
post #13 of 26 Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

There is drilling involved with this spoiler (why I did not go with it), they have to make 4 holes in your trunk. Make sure they do not hack the holes made, if they do I would ask for a new trunk.

That is some poor fitment though.

Here is the install instructions for reference:

2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6 speed
San Marino Red

Hondata Tune
Hybrid Racing Shifter Bushings
post #14 of 26 Old 02-15-2018, 11:45 AM
2nd Gear

I think that can be fixed, elongate the holes a little to the right should to do it. As far as the aesthetics go, no holes will show when installed and they should seal them with silcone around the bolts, I mean your going to have 4 holes anyways and none of this install should show.
seldomseen likes this.

2018 Honda Accord EX-L, 1.5L
2015 Mazda CX-5
post #15 of 26 Old 02-15-2018, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

That would drive me insane, and is the reason I don't have the dealer install accessories -- I'd rather go without than have it messed up. They're given very little time to do the job, and this is often the result.

herosemblem likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.