• 2 Post By 18MSMSport
  • 1 Post By DieselFanatic
  • 2 Post By 18MSMSport
  • 1 Post By BudgetPlan1
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

car paint sealent

Picked my 1.5t sport in silver last week. Dealer offered Simoniz $799. I rejected. Today i ordered Color and drive ceramic coating on amazon. any suggestions would be helpful about to DIY. or any other better product for paint sealent.

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

A ceramic coating is not a sealant. A sealant is generally a synthetic polymer "wax" that has better longevity than carnauba but not quite the glow, wet look and deepness. A ceramic coating is generally SiO2 suspended in a resin that evaporates as you apply it. It is considered semi-permanent as the only way to remove it is to polish it off. It is considered best practice to correct the paint before application. This means compound and/or polish the clear coat until you remove an acceptable amount of swirls, rids, scratches etc. This is an over simplification of the process as there are many steps before you compound/polish that should happen in order to prevent serious damage to the clear coat.

TN9thSi and enne like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 18MSMSport For This Useful Post:
herosemblem (02-13-2018)
post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Remember ceramic paint protection is not really protection but more of a way to enhance gloss. You need paint protection film for protection from rock chips, scratches, etc..

If you have a dark colored car I would advise taking it to a professional detailer and have them do a correction. A good detailer might even recommend a wet/sand to remove orange peel (Honda paint is very easy to correct thus easy to scratch). I was scratching as much I was correcting because the microfiber towels I was using were garbage. Yes you can scratch Honda paint with a microfiber towel; it's garbage.

If you do decide to do it yourself you can be looking at possibly 24 hours of work depending on how far you want to take correction. Remember any visible scratches will still be visible after applying coating. I use an LED flashlight to find scratches and start with least abrasive polish/pad. If you don't have an electric polisher I doubt you will get very good results. Also be careful of getting polish on black plastic.

It took me 13 hours to apply Opti Coat Gloss on my mom's Hyundai Tucson and I didn't do any correction:

1.) Wash/dry
2.) Clay
3.) Polish
4.) prep surface for coating (strip residual waxes/polish) 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/water spritz.
5.) re-dyed black plastic because I was careless and got polish on it.
6.) Applied Opti-Coat Gloss.
7.) Applied Opti-Coat Glass to Windows.
18MSMSport likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Some ceramic coating manufacturers won't even sell their product to the public... I'm guessing what you bought either isn't a real ceramic coating, you paid out the A$$ for the product, or it isn't nearly as good as the kind you can have applied by a professional. Which would cost around twice what you would've paid for "Dealer offered Simoniz", whatever that entailed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #5 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Some ceramic coating manufacturers won't even sell their product to the public... I'm guessing what you bought either isn't a real ceramic coating, you paid out the A$$ for the product, or it isn't nearly as good as the kind you can have applied by a professional. Which would cost around twice what you would've paid for "Dealer offered Simoniz", whatever that entailed.
There are dozens and dozens of ceramic coatings that are on an enthusiast/semi-pro level that you can buy "over the counter." Any reputable company (CarPro, Gyeon, Polish Angel, Kamikaze etc) all over very high quality coatings and relatively affordable ($50 to $200) depending on what products or combo of products to use. The majority of the cost of a detailer to apply ceramic coating comes from the service and not the cost of the products. Hours if not days are put in to apply a coating properly. A lot of the newer products available to the public are becoming as good as professional line if not better. This is a fast evolving market and the newer products are easier to apply and last as long. Aside from a company trying to protect its proprietary professional coatings, the margin of difference between enthusiast and pro is narrowing every day.
jeffb1124 and BudgetPlan1 like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

ok, thanks for the input. i am going to try Wolfgang paint sealent. lets see how that work, going to order as soon as i got my money back from color & drive.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingh View Post
ok, thanks for the input. i am going to try Wolfgang paint sealent. lets see how that work, going to order as soon as i got my money back from color & drive.
That's an excellent sealant! Good choice. You should get at least 6 months of beading/protection from it depending on the weather.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-13-2018, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

A nice benefit to coatings is they make keeping the car clean much easier. Some better than others but all have that going for them.

Could always get a taste of coatings very easily wirh something like Gyeon CanCoat. Coating benefits with less longevity, wipe on, wipe off...good to go.

As for pro/consumer, Gyeon Syncro is a nice, consumer approximation of pro-only Duraflex, Mohs+Booster will get ya similar results as pro-only Durabead. Getting up there in longevity (if that's important to you) with reasonable maintenance.

Fun stuff. Still screwed if ya scrape a shopping cart, it's gonna leave a mark.
18MSMSport likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.