Navigation Question? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hematitis
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Navigation Question?

I don't use a smart phone so navigation would be needed for my new Accord. What costs are involved there and can you get it discounted when buying?

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Out of Control

You need to check out some of the threads about the trouble with the built in nav. unit, not giving correct locations, freezing, having to pay for updates, etc. Maybe better is to buy a Garmin GPS to use, cheaper too.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 PM
#SaveTheManuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgooch View Post
I don't use a smart phone so navigation would be needed for my new Accord. What costs are involved there and can you get it discounted when buying?
Any particular reason you DON'T use a smart phone? Because if I'm perfectly honest, I've found the Android Auto or Apple Carplay interface to be better than most factory GPS interfaces I've ever used...

1994 Mustang GT Laser Red Metallic
Born on March 4, 1994 1 of 1,393
Bassani: Cat-Back, x pipe & headers, Edelbrock Intake Manifold, FMS: 65mm TB, Cobra Trac-LOK w/3.73s, B-springs, Pro-M 80mm MAF, CAI, KYB shocks/struts, Maximum Motorsports chassis brace package & c/c plates, Cobra R wheels 17x9f/17x10.5r
Soon: CHP 347 w/AFR heads, and FTI custom cam

2003 Honda Civic LX Sedan Satin Silver Metallic
Cold Air Intake

2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 MT San Marino Red
KTuner

post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgooch View Post
The Garmin Nuvi GPS is what I use because I also am smartless, it rests nicely into the center niche where the USP port is and I keep it on, looks cool, but for best reception when you actually need it just pull it out and rest in the cup holder.

2018 Honda Accord EX-L, 1.5L
2015 Mazda CX-5
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Captain Slow

Navigation is offered on two specific trims with two different engine choices, the EX-L Navigation (not to be conflated with the non-navigation EX-L trim) and Touring trims with the 1.5T or 2.0T engine. Since it's part of those trims and not an option, the only thing to negotiate is the price of the vehicle.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the built-in navigation since it's developed by Garmin. I find Garmin's standalone navigation offerings to be far superior to both Google and Apple Maps, and I'm making the assumption that what they provide to Honda is similar. Alas, the 6-speed manual transmission is not available on the upper trims.
S2k_Dude likes this.

2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematitis View Post
Navigation is offered on two specific trims with two different engine choices, the EX-L Navigation (not to be conflated with the non-navigation EX-L trim) and Touring trims with the 1.5T or 2.0T engine. Since it's part of those trims and not an option, the only thing to negotiate is the price of the vehicle.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the built-in navigation since it's developed by Garmin. I find Garmin's standalone navigation offerings to be far superior to both Google and Apple Maps, and I'm making the assumption that what they provide to Honda is similar. Alas, the 6-speed manual transmission is not available on the upper trims.
Does built-in Garmin have live traffic updates? They used to be the best before smartphone came. I think Google and Apple are way ahead of Garmin now. both do updates regularly. not only update software but you can upgrade your hardware (phone) for better performance years down the road. You can't update hardware with built-in navigation.

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 03:28 PM
Captain Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanfox View Post
Does built-in Garmin have live traffic updates? They used to be the best before smartphone came. I think Google and Apple are way ahead of Garmin now. both do updates regularly. not only update software but you can upgrade your hardware (phone) for better performance years down the road. You can't update hardware with built-in navigation.
Yes, the built-in navigation does support traffic. The way I see it, since the navigation-equipped headunits also support Apple Carplay and Android Auto, it simply gives buyers a choice.

2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I am 76 years old and never have owned a smart phone, never had a need for one and don't plan on ever needing one. But I have built my own computer a few times.

How about cost etc.?

Last edited by namegoeshere; 02-10-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: merge
post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2018, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

I have used the Nav and have not had any problems. Frankly I prefer it over Android Auto-granted the Google search to find a location is nice and then to have it do its Nav thing is convenient. I just hate futzing around with cables. The Google Map updates are also free for now. I have not done mine yet but I am no hurry. I will give Google credit with their Nav as it is quite good and future updates will cost nothing. I do find the AA user interface a bit wonky and i would like some flexibility to customize it. But this is not a thread to critique AA.

For the OP it came with the car. I have a Touring.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.