Not ready for Prime Time... Time to Go...POS... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
14Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 02-03-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Not ready for Prime Time... Time to Go...POS...

Hey All-

Many people have seen my posts about the issues I have experienced with the Navigation unit on my 2018 Accord Touring but over the past few months, the issues have multiplied to the point that I have to sell this disaster of a car. I do not drive much, as I take Uber to see clients when I can. When I do take my Accord, there is always something that leaves me shaking my head. As of today, I am just done. I went from a BMW X5 to this POS and what a mistake I have made. Here is a list of issues that I am experiencing:

• Navigation Head Unit Constantly Resets and Freezes

• When making a call, the head unit freezes or will not allow me to switch between my handset or car. I have to park the car and switch the ignition off and on to reset the system. Total pain in the ass.

• My windows and sunroof randomly open on there own. This has caused major issues has I have come back to my car to see everything open in a rainstorm and spent an hour drying off the inside of the car. The second time everything opened up at a football game and when I came back to my car, someone ransacked it and stole several items. Before anyone thinks I am bumping my remote to activate the feature to open everything, I have put the car to the test while in my garage and keys hung up to come out and find everything open or one window down, another up and the sunroof partially open.

• The car randomly locks and unlocks when I am driving or parked. No idea why, it happens one day and not the next.

• Next, my when I am at a stop or at a red light, the car lurches forward from time to time. I mean it literally thrusts forward

I have been in and out of my local Honda dealer time after time and they have emulated everything but the fixes they apply do not work. For the lurching, the are working on a 'fix' with Honda Corporate but nothing yet. For the head unit, I am waiting for a software update to come out to address this. No idea when, but the dealer says there have been several other people experiencing the same issue. Thank God. For the other issues, I have had fix after fix attempted with no success.

In any event, I will chalk this car up to an absolute POS. On the outside, it looks like it rivals many luxury brands with the feature set but the reality is that it is just not there yet. Shame on me for buying too early as I feel like a beta tester that is paying to test the product for Honda. My question to everyone here is are you experiencing any similar issues and are you at the end of your rope like me? I would love to get your thoughts. If there are any Honda employees on this forum, I would love to get you experiences with customer cars as well.

TR

visionguru and Croxley611 like this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-03-2018, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

Garage
I mean, you are the only one here who hates their Accord or who is having any of these issues. Your particular car might be a POS but trust me when I say this, the Accord is an amazing car. If the dealership wont help you, call Corporate Honda and they will get the issue fixed. Don't just chalk it up to the cars being shit because that's 100% not true. Every once in a while a lemon gets released out into the wild, happens with every brand. But it shouldn't make you think the brand is terrible.

Look up Corporate Honda on google and they have a tab you can click for customer complaints and issues where you give them your info and they create a ticket and call you. I'd say at least try this before screwing yourself taking a loss on a new car. Good luck either way and let us know what happens.

S2k_Dude likes this.
post #3 of 46 Old 02-03-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dy2_str33t_king View Post
I mean, you are the only one here who hates their Accord or who is having any of these issues. Your particular car might be a POS but trust me when I say this, the Accord is an amazing car. If the dealership wont help you, call Corporate Honda and they will get the issue fixed. Don't just chalk it up to the cars being shit because that's 100% not true. Every once in a while a lemon gets released out into the wild, happens with every brand. But it shouldn't make you think the brand is terrible.

Look up Corporate Honda on google and they have a tab you can click for customer complaints and issues where you give them your info and they create a ticket and call you. I'd say at least try this before screwing yourself taking a loss on a new car. Good luck either way and let us know what happens.
I take it you are new to the forum. There are several members experiencing the same issues and one member who had his Accord replaced due to the lurching issue. Try searching the 10th Gen Forum for specifics. I am just the lucky one with all of the issues on one car. I am in touch with Honda Corporate and hopefully they will stand behind this car and make it right.

post #4 of 46 Old 02-03-2018, 07:20 PM
4th Gear

You have every right to be angry with your Accord. I could not imagine shelling out thousands for a brand new car, only to realize that it may be a lemon. I would call the Honda corporate number and communicate that you are extremely displeased with a (clearly) subpar product [EDIT: I see you've already done this]. If your dealer doesn't have a policy where you can bring the car back for a full refund, definitely look into the lemon law.

I'm sure that you've seen the myriad of posts from other forum members who are unhappy with their new Accord. I would imagine that recalls will eventually be issued, particularly for the cases where the breaks are automatically activating.

2004 Accord V-6 EX, Satin Silver, 6 speed M/T
post #5 of 46 Old 02-03-2018, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

You have a lemon. Those are pretty extreme problems that I would not tolerate. Anything short of a new car is unexceptable.

Good luck
ActiveAgent and enne like this.

Garage
- 2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T
- 2008 Honda CBR600RR
post #6 of 46 Old 02-03-2018, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy2_str33t_king View Post
but trust me when I say this, the Accord is an amazing car.
Yes, we'll just trust you on that one. Or what's more likely, it is that first year model has disproportionate number of issues. Quality issues with infotainment systems seems to be industry wide problem, car makers still don't seem to get it that reliability of infotainment = reliability of car.
post #7 of 46 Old 02-03-2018, 09:34 PM
4th Gear

Wow ... I mean WOW!

Those are some very unusual problems for any car, let alone an Accord. One might expect some 1st year growing pains for the 10th Gen, but your problems are totally unacceptable. And, not at all like Honda Accords.

I can't blame you for getting rid of the car. I hope Honda takes it back under the lemon law.

2018 Accord 4-Door 2.0T Touring [Color TBD - 10th gen] (Future)
2014 Accord 4-Door V6 Touring [Crystal Black Pearl - 9th gen] (Mine)
2010 Accord 4-Door EX-L V6/NAV [Bold Beige - 8th gen] (Hers)

Previously Owned:
  • 2002 Accord 4-Door EX-V6 [Noble Green - 6th gen] (Sold)
  • 1992 Accord 4-Door EX [Granada Black] - 4th gen] (Sold)
  • 1984 Accord 4-Door LX [Graphite Gray - 2nd gen] (Traded)
post #8 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 03:09 AM
3rd Gear

Reading OP's list of issues makes me scared. The last 3 issues are serious since it can compromise your safety. This is not just issue, but a nightmare of a expensive purchase.

Like other mentioned, try to work with dealer/corporate. if they can't fix it after 3 tries, you can use Lemon law for a full refund. that is my NC state law.

My new EX-L 2.0T got battery leak on the way home from the dealer. Luckily I found out early, and got the dealer to replace the battery (proved with video and pictures). I almost wanted to return it since it is so new.

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
post #9 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 03:18 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTrojans View Post
Hey All-

Many people have seen my posts about the issues I have experienced with the Navigation unit on my 2018 Accord Touring but over the past few months, the issues have multiplied to the point that I have to sell this disaster of a car. I do not drive much, as I take Uber to see clients when I can. When I do take my Accord, there is always something that leaves me shaking my head. As of today, I am just done. I went from a BMW X5 to this POS and what a mistake I have made. Here is a list of issues that I am experiencing:

• Navigation Head Unit Constantly Resets and Freezes

• When making a call, the head unit freezes or will not allow me to switch between my handset or car. I have to park the car and switch the ignition off and on to reset the system. Total pain in the ass.

• My windows and sunroof randomly open on there own. This has caused major issues has I have come back to my car to see everything open in a rainstorm and spent an hour drying off the inside of the car. The second time everything opened up at a football game and when I came back to my car, someone ransacked it and stole several items. Before anyone thinks I am bumping my remote to activate the feature to open everything, I have put the car to the test while in my garage and keys hung up to come out and find everything open or one window down, another up and the sunroof partially open.

• The car randomly locks and unlocks when I am driving or parked. No idea why, it happens one day and not the next.

• Next, my when I am at a stop or at a red light, the car lurches forward from time to time. I mean it literally thrusts forward

I have been in and out of my local Honda dealer time after time and they have emulated everything but the fixes they apply do not work. For the lurching, the are working on a 'fix' with Honda Corporate but nothing yet. For the head unit, I am waiting for a software update to come out to address this. No idea when, but the dealer says there have been several other people experiencing the same issue. Thank God. For the other issues, I have had fix after fix attempted with no success.

In any event, I will chalk this car up to an absolute POS. On the outside, it looks like it rivals many luxury brands with the feature set but the reality is that it is just not there yet. Shame on me for buying too early as I feel like a beta tester that is paying to test the product for Honda. My question to everyone here is are you experiencing any similar issues and are you at the end of your rope like me? I would love to get your thoughts. If there are any Honda employees on this forum, I would love to get you experiences with customer cars as well.

TR
Have you already sold your troubled Accord? If not you may have protection.

As stated below, the Lemon Law stems from the Song-Beverly Act. If you feel you can meet any criterion on this list, I suggest you hold Honda accountable.

Attached Images
UNLTD1487 likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
enne (02-05-2018), UNLTD1487 (02-04-2018)
post #10 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 04:32 AM
1st Gear

Baldeagle, you beat me to the link to the California dept of consumer affairs.

[Oops: As reflected below (Post #16), Baldeagle and I weren't correct regarding the OP's residence. The OP resides in Washington state, which has a very different means of handling consumer protection issues.]

Unfortunately, it's not all that surprising those who buy the first of any manufacturer's new products have some sort of problem that wasn't worked out in testing. It's almost inevitable. New cars have have something like 20,000 or more parts and components. Even if the car is 99.99% perfect, that still leaves 20 parts or components that can fail. While that's no consolation to the OP, Honda as a manufacturer is pretty good about trying to get ahead of the sorts of things the OP is dealing with.

The Ridgeline and CR-V boards have several examples of this. Owners of first year of the 2nd Gen Ridgeline had electrical issues (eventually traced to the routing of the electrical cables under the rear bed). CR-V owners had vibration issues with the then-new (2014?) CVT. In both cases, it took about a year to sort them out, but as soon as it was obvious the dealers couldn't resolve them, Honda had teams in the field trying to fix what hadn't been discovered and resolved in pre-production testing.

It's easy to understand why the OP is frustrated. I would be, too.
ActiveAgent likes this.

Last edited by Spied4US; 02-04-2018 at 03:01 PM.
post #11 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 04:42 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spied4US View Post
The Ridgeline and CR-V boards have several examples of this. Owners of first year of the 2nd Gen Ridgeline had electrical issues (eventually traced to the routing of the electrical cables under the rear bed). CR-V owners had vibration issues with the then-new (2014?) CVT. In both cases, it took about a year to sort them out, but as soon as it was obviously the dealers couldn't resolve them, Honda had teams in the field trying to fix what hadn't been discovered and resolved in pre-production testing.
did these two issues happen to every 2nd Gen Ridgeline and 2014 CR-V then? or just a few cars?

what do you mean by "... in the field..."? did Honda come to owner's house to fix it?

2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
1993 Honda Civic DX
post #12 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 04:51 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spied4US View Post
The Ridgeline and CR-V boards have several examples of this. Owners of first year of the 2nd Gen Ridgeline had electrical issues (eventually traced to the routing of the electrical cables under the rear bed). CR-V owners had vibration issues with the then-new (2014?) CVT. In both cases, it took about a year to sort them out, but as soon as it was obviously the dealers couldn't resolve them, Honda had teams in the field trying to fix what hadn't been discovered and resolved in pre-production testing.

Again, that's little consolation to the OP. His frustration is pretty obvious.
That was me. Bought 2015 crv with a slight vibration issue. I don't think it was resolved until slightly over a year later. Thankfully haven't had a single other issue and even at that my vibration was not too obtrusive.

Now looking at a new Accord, I'm in the same position as the crv being a first year refresh. I'm pretty sure I'll either wait until end of the first year clearance or a 2019 model. At least, if those first year issues do pop up they're either fixed or there are service bulletins available to fix it. This doesn't just happen to Honda, this applies to every manufacturer.

You're situation is horrible. I would hope they either fix all those issues promptly and properly or you lemon it. Good luck! When life gives you lemons get lemon AID. Sorry just had to lol

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 05:54 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanfox View Post
did these two issues happen to every 2nd Gen Ridgeline and 2014 CR-V then? or just a few cars?
It's been a while since I've been on the Ridgeline board, but it's my impression that the wiring harness issue affected a relatively small percentage of the 4-wheel drive Ridgelines. (Why 4WD? Because the issue pertained to a RWD relay under the bed that wasn't correctly waterproofed. Initially, Honda was replacing the entire wiring harness trying to find the specific component that was compromised.)

Quote:
what do you mean by "... in the field..."? did Honda come to owner's house to fix it?
Yes, Honda representatives actually made house-calls and rode with several CR-V owners over several days at various times to experience firsthand what was occurring, and later, to test prototype ECU fixes. There were even videos of this posted online.

Frankly, I was very impressed with the extent to which Honda tried to get a handle on what was occurring. I can think of any number of manufacturers that wouldn't have gone to such lengths.
post #14 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 07:28 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTrojans View Post
Hey All-

My question to everyone here is are you experiencing any similar issues and are you at the end of your rope like me? I would love to get your thoughts. If there are any Honda employees on this forum, I would love to get you experiences with customer cars as well.

TR
Your issues are probably not normal for the car, as everyone would be complaining about the same things. I've had my Touring 2.0 for about two weeks now with basically no issues. Just some minor issues with CarPlay connectivity, that has been discussed on this board.

That being said - I understand your frustration - as I had the same types of problems years back with a new model Lexus GS. I eventually gave up and went down the Lemon Law route and had the car returned. I drove many other GS's from the dealer on their lot, same year and model, and they all had the same problems. Basically the car wasn't ready for production, but Lexus thought they'd push it out anyway. That was my last Lexus, and I moved on.

If they can't fix the issues - work with Honda and the dealer to get it replaced. if they won't help - go the Lemon Law route. It drives me nuts how some people accept First Generation car issue - yet we're expected to pay for advertised features that are half baked. They should either fix it, replace the car, or give you your money back. Period.
cavenger likes this.
post #15 of 46 Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 AM
3rd Gear

As an aside, there are a lot of manufacturers having CarPlay issues. Something to do with recent iOS updates.

I wish there was a better way to track this stuff than forums. A public database of reported problems would help a lot in determining reliability for vehicles. Instead we rely on organizations like JD Power and CR to do it. It might be that these cars are actually fairly reliable (although that doesn't seem likely) and we just can't tell. Or maybe if reliability matters we should all be driving Toyota's and Kia's.

Miker likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.