for those who have the auto dimming mirror, do you like it/use it regularly? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
9Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
III

for those who have the auto dimming mirror, do you like it/use it regularly?

I saw somewhere on the forum that someone wasn't happy with the mirror.

I was going to get this mirror installed Wednesday. I wanted to see if this is a shared sentiment and thus I should save my money or an outlier.

I know there were suggestions on using different mirrors instead that were cheaper, but I've decided I am either going to use the Honda auto-dimming mirror or not and just use the plain stock mirror and order something else.

I personally have to do fairly frequent long distance drives that have me driving before sunrise and at night. Headlights always bother me. Therefore I was hoping to do a final check before I spend the money.

So if you already have this mirror because you opted for it or it was included in your trim level, are you satisfied with it?

Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
I saw somewhere on the forum that someone wasn't happy with the mirror.

I was going to get this mirror installed Wednesday. I wanted to see if this is a shared sentiment and thus I should save my money or an outlier.

I know there were suggestions on using different mirrors instead that were cheaper, but I've decided I am either going to use the Honda auto-dimming mirror or not and just use the plain stock mirror and order something else.

I personally have to do fairly frequent long distance drives that have me driving before sunrise and at night. Headlights always bother me. Therefore I was hoping to do a final check before I spend the money.

So if you already have this mirror because you opted for it or it was included in your trim level, are you satisfied with it?

Thanks.

I don't have issue with mine. The dealership tinted my windows to a legal tint in Virginia, and that actually causes some issues when the sun sets I've noticed in this car that I haven't had previously. But, the auto-dimming mirror is nice in my opinion. I have a really hard time when SUVs or anything sitting higher comes behind me at night because the light seems to be directly in my eyes, so the auto-dim is a must for me. I've turned it off just to see the difference, and for lack of a better term, it's night and day's difference.

Hedwig likes this.

Kim

'18 Accord Touring 2.0T Platinum White Pearl
'16 Accord Sport Sedan Basque Red Pearl

Previous (Honda only between my husband and I)

'16 Odyssey Elite White Diamond Pearl
'15 Civic Si Sedan Orange Fire Pearl
'13 Accord Sport Sedan Obsidian Blue Pearl
'12 Odyssey Touring Elite Modern Steel Metallic
'09 Accord EX-L Sedan Alabaster Silver
'06 CRV LX AWD Alabaster Silver
'98 Civic LX Sedan Inza Red Pearl

Yep, we have a car problem!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 AM
2nd Gear

I have the mirror but, I got it more to have the Homelink option with garage doors. About my only complaint is the size of it and where it was installed. When making a right hand turn I find it somewhat in the way, but, I got used to it. What I presume is the honda sensing thing takes up a portion of the windshield and this also takes up some room. I've always like auto-dimming mirrors so I'm not blinded at night with the car behind me. So, overall, I do like it and am glad I got it.
Hedwig likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 AM
Out of Control

Got one when I got my 04 Accord, I will never have a car without one. Liked the compass on the 04 which is missing on my 2017. They do not work well with really dark tint others have told me. One of the best parts is if you are driving due east as the sun sets in the west, you can still see what is behind you because you don't have to flip the mirror. Wish they had the auto. dimming on the side mirrors as well. One poster thinks the new sensor does not react as fast as the older one.
Hedwig likes this.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 511K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #5 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

I had it installed with the Home Link and I like it a lot. It does sit slightly lower than the stock one but you can adjust up a little higher and it is not intrusive. It works great and perfect for those trucks and SUVs at your rear.
Hedwig likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

My exl has it installed from factory. Personal, I think this new frame less design looks much better than the old one in 9th gen. The auto dim is ok, didn't notice much of different compared to the one in my 13 exl. But I like the home link feature integrated into the mirror.
Hedwig likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
III

Great thanks guys Im going to go for it. Hopefully it wont be too obtrusive while I drive.

"Garage"

Accord Sport 2018 Platinum White

Civic Coupe LX 2013 (until I can sell it) Platinum White

Element LX 2007 Blue
post #8 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

I don't like that the entire mirror doesn't dim. There is a strip around the outside of the mirror that is undimmed. I've never seen that before. I too often find myself having to move my head or the mirror to keep the headlights within the dimmed portion.
papppas and Hedwig like this.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-23-2018, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

In my opinion go for it if you are annoyed like I was at always flipping the manual lever and getting glare from your own interior. It is a big improvement over that scenario and you get the integrated home link. It isn't exactly cheap to have installed but definitely a comfort/ convenience feature.
Hedwig likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

I got mine installed yesterday. Seem like it had problem with home-link. According to the manual and homelink website, there is light somewhere on the mirror. I couldn't see it on my mirror and I can't program it since there was no light.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
I have it and it actually works well for my needs. Yes I definitely would love to have auto dimming side mirrors also, but I’ll take what I can get.
Hedwig likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord 2018 View Post
I got mine installed yesterday. Seem like it had problem with home-link. According to the manual and homelink website, there is light somewhere on the mirror. I couldn't see it on my mirror and I can't program it since there was no light.
So the homelink wouldn't work but the auto-dimming feature worked?
post #13 of 16 Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
III

I agree, I wish the side mirrors dimmed as well. Was that an option for the touring?

Used it on a 5 hour drive last night post installation and it was great. Thanks everyone for chiming in before I did it!
post #14 of 16 Old 01-25-2018, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh56 View Post
I don't like that the entire mirror doesn't dim. There is a strip around the outside of the mirror that is undimmed. I've never seen that before. I too often find myself having to move my head or the mirror to keep the headlights within the dimmed portion.
Ditto, but I still prefer it over one you have to manually tilt.
The Following User Says Thank You to sled14 For This Useful Post:
STEALTH (01-25-2018)
post #15 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh56 View Post
Same here. It drives my nuts. My CR-Z's auto dimming mirror dimmed the entire thing. I just set the position of the mirror tilted a bit lower so the bottom strip is no issue. Now the lights of taller vehicles behind me will just flash my eyes at the top strip that's undimmed.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.