• 2 Post By techaccord
  • 1 Post By Kamdog
  • 1 Post By bslenter
  • 1 Post By Spied4US
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

Sport model test drives

I bought a new 2013 Accord LX and it will be paid off in May. When the details of the new Accord started leaking my ears perked up. My interest was actually in the Tesla Model 3 until I saw the new Honda Accord last year. I missed out on the early reservations for Model 3 so it would be probably mid 2019 or later before delivery.

I test drove the 1.5T the first day it was on sale in my area which was actually Oct 19. They didn't have any on the lot the official first day of sale Oct 18. Needless to say I was impressed with the interior and intrigued by the exterior. I also requested and received an Accord brochure. Since then I've read many reviews and watched many YouTube videos of the Accord. I was basically set on buying a Sport 1.5T either manual or CVT.

Enter the 2.0T.

I went to the local dealer yesterday and they didn't have ANY 2.0Ts to drive. Plenty of 1.5Ts on the lot. The salesman offered to get the lone 2.0T in the back ready to drive today. Well there is another dealer about 10 minutes away and a quick check on my phone indicated about five Sport 2.0Ts on the lot. I made the trip and was setup to test drive rather quick. This was a good day because outside temp was in the high teens and I wanted to see how the heated seats performed.

Wow, this model was equipped with the 10 speed automatic and color me impressed. I have a six speed manual 540i and an automatic 330ci. The throttle response is surprisingly good. Acceleration on the on ramp was quick and effortless. My 540i specs are 1/4 mile 14 seconds at 100 mph. Performance is similar to the Accord 2.0. This would be my first turbo equipped car and the low end torque is more than enough for my satisfaction. Ride quality is firm and sporty feeling. My only reservation is how would a manual 2.0T fare? There aren't any to test drive unless I go on a 4.5 hour drive to Dallas.

This is my first post on the forums and I enjoy reading and lurking the 10th generation forum.

P.S. All the ACC, LKAS, CMBS tech is nice but I'm still leery of using them. I'm impressed they exist and would probably use them as I get more comfortable with them.

benjaminh likes this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 PM
REV29K

I got the opportunity to test drive the 6MT and 10AT back to back at a dealer. The 6MT felt great, smooth shifting, if you like driving a manual, you won't be disappointed. I've only owned manual transmission cars all my life up until we bought the wife a 2017 CR-V when it came out last year. The 10AT in the Accord felt like a perfect match for the 2.0T engine to me, and I ended up choosing it over the 6MT, which is something I thought I'd never do. If you get the 6MT you lose remote start and the Low-Speed-Follow feature of the Adaptive Cruise. Both are great transmissions and I'd hoped to support the "Save the Manuals" movement along with Honda offering the 6MT with the more powerful 2.0T engine but for me the 10AT won me over. I guess if I want to row my own gears I'll have to drive my S2000.

bslenter likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to S2k_Dude For This Useful Post:
stillnight20 (01-16-2018)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2018, 01:55 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saukfox View Post
I bought a new 2013 Accord LX and it will be paid off in May. When the details of the new Accord started leaking my ears perked up. My interest was actually in the Tesla Model 3 until I saw the new Honda Accord last year. I missed out on the early reservations for Model 3 so it would be probably mid 2019 or later before delivery.
Similar situation for me. I was on the model 3 list for mid to late 2018. I test drove the 2.0t 10AT accord the day it came off the truck and bought it on the spot. Love it.
bslenter and MaximusW like this.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2018, 03:41 AM
6th Gear

Keep your E39 forever and get the 10A Accord for daily driving. IMO, turbos go better with automatics, but you do lose the satisfaction of the well-timed shift. The paddles are OK when you need to hold a gear, but that is pretty rare in actual driving, and paddles are no replacement for the good parts of rowing your own.
bslenter likes this.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT <- my fave of all time before the bimmer
2003 LX MT
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear

[QUOTE=Saukfox;6284018]

My only reservation is how would a manual 2.0T fare? There aren't any to test drive unless I go on a 4.5 hour drive to Dallas.

I test drove the 2.0 Automatic and based on that I ordered a Sport 6MT 2.0 model. I can say the shifter is very smooth and the clutch is light. Very easy to drive Manual car. I am very happy with my purchase. But, I do think the Auto was slightly faster with better pickup (I drove in sport mode which MT doesn't have for some stupid reason). All the magazines confirmed this in 0-60 times. However, Hondata and Ktuner are making stage 1 tunes which should fix that problem quickly.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2018, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

I've outgrown the desire to shift my own gears, so the 10AT was an easy decision for me. I can say it is by far the most impressive automatic I've ever driven, and is matched extremely well with the engine and turbocharger. I use the paddles occasionally - typically for a quick downshift two gears coming down a steep hill or for an aggressive pass, though this is entirely optional. It still stuns me how many gears this auto has, and how fast and smoothly it shifts. You can easily start from a stoplight in second gear. It takes two downshifts to get any significant increase in RPMs for downhill or passing, because the range on each gear is so tight. But it makes those downshifts extremely fast.
S2k_Dude likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2018, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Permit me to footnote the comments above concerning the purchase of an Accord with a manual transmission.

I've owned a bunch of MT Hondas -- at least a dozen over the course of 27 years. I've enjoyed them all. Of late, however -- meaning the last ten years or so -- selling a used Honda with a MT has become more of an issue. If you live in large metropolitan area it's less of a problem to find a ready buyer (and buyers who know how to drive one), but out "in the heartland" (as the expression goes), it's becoming more difficult to find buyers for a used manual transmission Accord. And no question, it's the MT that's the issue. Certainly the igen doesn't want them. The dealers will tell you this as well, but they of course have a dog in the fight -- i.e., they have a lot full of CVTs (which I would never own), and that's what they want to sell. But, that said, now that the Accord is "all grown up" -- in size, weight and demographics -- and particularly because the 10-speed tranny is sooo well matched to the 2.0L turbo motor, the decision to buy a new MT Accord could easily prove to be penny wise in the showroom and pound foolish down the road.
S2k_Dude likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.